Home Main Forums Latest Breaking News Michael Flynn paid $34,000 by RT to dine with Putin

• Manny Goldstein (1643 posts)
    Profile photo of Manny Goldstein Admin

Michael Flynn paid $34,000 by RT to dine with Putin

(Who knows if there’s anything to this Trump/Russia thing – I’ve seen no evidence. But $34,000 from a state-funded media outlet to have dinner with Putin – Flynn must be a very, very, very, very, very, very good conversationalist!)

Michael Flynn received nearly $34,000 to attend event with Putin

WASHINGTON — A House committee investigating former national security adviser Michael Flynn revealed today that Flynn received tens of thousands of dollars in 2015 from RT, the state-run Russian television network.

Just two months before Flynn began advising the Trump campaign, the retired lieutenant general traveled to Moscow to attend a gala where he was seated next to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

On Thursday, Rep. Elijah Cummings, the top Democrat on the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, released checks, emails and invoices that showed Flynn was paid almost $34,000 to attend the event by RT.

The CIA found in a report on Russia’s actions during the 2016 presidential campaign that RT engaged in “a Kremlin-directed campaign to undermine faith in the U.S. government.”

Marym625 likes this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
17 replies
  • Jan Boehmermann (2417 posts)
    Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

1. Flynn needs to get some tips from Hillary!

Only $34k?  That’s peanuts compared to what Goldman Sachs paid Hill! 

2. Granted but RT is a news outlet

and that might be more, per hour, than what NBC bribed compensated Chelsea Clinton.

• Jan Boehmermann (2417 posts)
        Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

4. That's a little more than NBC pays Rachel Maddow per show.

But she’s worth it because she comes up with some really great scoops! 

• LiberalArkie (3579 posts)
    Profile photo of LiberalArkie Donor

3. I wonder how much he fed the Russians while in the military?

• reorg (128 posts)
    Profile photo of reorg Banned

5. You can see for yourself how good a conversationalist he is

It was apparently not just a dinner (where some other luminaries also participated such as the German ex-politician Willy Wimmer, and Jill Stein, if I am not mistaken), these guests were also present for such question and answer sessions as this one:

2013 gas attack in Syria a ‘false flag?’: Michael Flynn, Trump’s national security advisor at RT10

Q&A with US frm. Director of Defense Intelligence Agency Michael Flynn on MidEast crisis

Former Parliamentary State Secretary in Germany’s Defense Ministry and Ex-Vice President of the OSCE’s Parliamentary Assembly Willy Wimmer. © Mikhail Voskresenskiy / Sputnik

The EU tries to create a hostile situation against Russia and uses it as a “tool” in terms of the press and influencing the population, German ex-VP of the OSCE Assembly told RT, calling the situation “disastrous.”

“I think we have a disastrous situation in the EU, and we face, since some years, the situation where they do their utmost to create a hostile situation against the Russian Federation…” Willy Wimmer, also former state secretary to Germany’s defense minister, told RT’s SophieCo.

“…And when it comes to the press and when it comes to influencing the population, they used, really, Moscow as a tool for their own purpose,” he continued, responding to a question about unfounded allegations that Russia interfered with German politics in a bid to influence the federal vote. …

https://www.rt.com/news/377199-eu-russia-willy-wimmer/

Putin shows German skills, unexpectedly steps in as translator at forum

6. So Flynn is a *schmuck* that got $34k for dinner

and Q&A? Yes, he’s a schmuck.

And your point about Putin speaking German is… what?

• reorg (128 posts)

10. it would be ridiculous to get paid for dinner

and he certainly was not. As far as I know they celebrated the first ten very successful years of RT with an international conference on media and politics:

Among the speakers and panelists will be Ken Livingstone, mayor of London during the 2005 terrorist attacks and recently appointed co-chair for the UK’s opposition defense review; Cyril Svoboda, former- deputy prime minister, minister of foreign affairs, and interior minister of the Czech Republic, who led the negotiations on Czech accession to the EU; Jill Stein, a US politician and the Green Party’s 2012 presidential candidate; Willy Wimmer, German statesman and ex-VP of the OSCE; Patricia Villegas, president of pan-Latin American news network teleSUR; Lieutenant General Michael Flynn, former head of the US Defense Intelligence Agency, the country’s main foreign military espionage organization; noted CIA whistleblower Raymond McGovern, and RT’s own editor in chief, Margarita Simonyan.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/324131-rt-10-years-conference/

https://conference.rt.com/

If it is true that these or some of these participants received the amount of money you cited, it would appear a little steep, but not really exceptional. I happen to get the occasional insight on what ordinary media persons of average prominence get for just moderating a banal (German state owned) company event lasting one or two hours, and to let you in on a secret: it’s just about the same amount!

The video with Putin is not about Putin, I wanted to add something explaining who Wimmer is (one of the other conference participants, like the former Mayor of London and leftist progressive Ken Livingston, and like Jill Stein). And I thought Wimmer’s final comment in this video, despite his heavy German accent, is funny: ‘The Americans fight always wars. Next year they will fight a war against sunshine.’

11. I'm a little confused here

Given that Flynn is a schmuck as is obvious from that video, why was it that RT paid him more to help celebrate than a Russian minimum-wage-earner makes in 30+ years of full-time work? His lovely white teeth?

• reorg (128 posts)

12. interesting observation

which makes me wonder, are they trying to imitate the US?

13. Might you be able to suggest some answers to my question?

Thanks in advance.

• reorg (128 posts)

14. I think I answered your first question

whether Flynn was paid just for being a conversationalist during a dinner. Then, I believe you asked whether ‘RT engaged in “a Kremlin-directed campaign to undermine faith in the U.S. government.”’, at least that’s what the OP appears to conclude, suggesting that Flynn and the other prominent guests may have been paid for their presence at a ‘Kremlin-directed’ event ‘to undermine faith in the US government’.

From what I know, I could imagine that strengthening ‘faith in the US government’ was probably not the conference participants’ most urgent concern, true that. As to why RT was able and willing to compensate these guests – which they certainly saw as VIP – in a similar fashion as they would have been compensated in their own more developed countries with higher income levels, I cannot fathom. Trying not to be cheapskates, perhaps?

The closest I ever came to RT was on the evening of the last general election in Germany, almost four years ago. I happened to be visiting family in Berlin and was cruising on my bike in the vicinity of the Reichstag, curious if I could catch something, maybe interviews with politicians. What I noticed there was that in the long line of trucks and SUV with antennas and/or reporters from radio and TV stations, RT seemed to have the newest, coolest and probably most expensive model. Even though RT hadn’t started yet to broadcast in Germany at the time. These RT reporters I saw were just foreign correspondents. So, yes, it was discussed on another forum years ago: RT don’t spare expenses, they don’t lack funds. British and American politicians and employees of state-owned media organizations complained about that, demanding that the US and the UK increase funding for the BBC World Service and Radio Free Europe. Proportionately, that is, several times over what the Russians spend, if I remember correctly. You can probably still find my old messages with the exact amounts and numbers I researched at the time.

So long.

15. But why Flynn?

He seems like such an unlikely person to pay to answer questions at such an event.

• reorg (128 posts)

16. It'll remain a mystery, I suppose.

What I find more interesting is that RT, despite all the enmity, be it the CIA (as cited in your OP) or just your average Democratic party soldier keeping in line, despite the sanctions imposed on Russia by the American empire and its allies which have led to a fall in income in recent years, they still manage to produce content that gets nominated for awards, in the US, even!

In case you haven’t seen it, I posted about this right here in the LBN forum, very shortly before you came up with the OP above:

http://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/rt-in-the-running-for-multiple-nominations-in-shorty-social-media-awards/

• cyberpj (2321 posts)
            Profile photo of cyberpj Donor

17. Of course I see your point. The motive may even be as you imply.

Would there have been any reason for an insurance “set-up” –was Flynn that close to entire Trump campaign and assumed a position?  Is that timeframe right for DNC shock and fear Trump could win?

QUESTION EVERYTHING 
    • leveymg (1765 posts)
      Profile photo of leveymg

7. Yes, good question, Ray. Too bad Flynn could only say he

can’t answer it.  Note that he didn’t even try to deny the possibility that the sarin attack was not what the State Dept. initially claimed. Which, by the way, tells us a lot more than the lies we received on a regular basis from his predecessor and other members of the previous Administration.   No wonder they had to get rid of Flynn first.

• reorg (128 posts)

8. 'he didn’t even try to deny the possibility '

Yes, I noted that, good point.

• leveymg (1765 posts)
          Profile photo of leveymg

9. Even Obama eventually acknowledged that it

appeared to be an unauthorized launch that couldn’t be directly traced back to an order from the top of the Syrian chain of command.  The intercepts from that night had the Defense Minister shouting into his phone at field commanders trying to determine who in the hell had issued orders.  “All fucked up” was the phrase used by a US intelligence analyst who had listened to the recordings.