A Readers & Writers Menagerie

Home A Readers & Writers Menagerie

I entered a mini fiction writing contest on a whim

• Biddy Early (143 posts)
    Profile photo of Biddy Early

I entered a mini fiction writing contest on a whim

and now I’m surprising myself how much I want to win or to finish in the top 3.  An amateur like myself has zero chance as many who enter those contests…even the little ones…if there’s money involved and there is…are already pros or academics.

I did win $50.00 once and got published in a little book.  That was a fluke but everyone who got the 50.00 didn’t get into the book so there was that.

Lol..I wrote the story..non fiction…in one brief sitting…then, when it was published, I found a huge, laughable error in it.  No one caught it but me but it was crazy…how could I have missed it????omg….oh well…wish me luck on my new venture.

Enthusiast, DookDook, dlegendary1 and 3 othersretrowire, TM99, historylovr like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
9 replies
  • historylovr (149 posts)
    Profile photo of historylovr Donor

1. Good luck!

• GuardianOne (703 posts)
    Profile photo of GuardianOne

2. One of my wife's fanfic stories has a HUGE huge

error in it that she spotted after it was published on fanfic.net But two people liked it enough to request a sequel. Writers tend to be hardest on themselves. Trial and error is how you learn.

• roguevalley (1182 posts)
      Profile photo of roguevalley

8. writing fanfic is a great way to learn to write. I have been since

1996 on the internet. I have my early stuff and its a real lesson on growth and learning. What does she write?

Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder treason and plot! I know of no reason why the Gunpowder treason should ever be forgot! -V
  • retrowire (480 posts)
    Profile photo of retrowire Donor

3. ahh good luck! sounds so exciting!

Which contest? I want to get more involved in the literary community. I need a secondary more productive hobby aside from my gaming.

I fix technological thingamadoodads. Also, Bernie is my spirit animal.
    • Biddy Early (143 posts)
      Profile photo of Biddy Early

4. http://www.wow-womenonwriting.com/contest.php

This was the contest.  I guess I entered the Spring Contest.  Fiction is hard – much prefer non.  Good luck.

• dlegendary1 (725 posts)
    Profile photo of dlegendary1 Donor

5. Go for it and kick ass!

You might never know. You might write better than some academic or literary scholar who enters. I’m gonna see if there are any contests I can enter locally to try my luck. And those errors suck more when the work means something to the writer! Wishing you the best in that contest.

• DookDook (267 posts)
    Profile photo of DookDook

6. Good luck!

The only way to become a better writer is to write.

• Bernice Ta (237 posts)
      Profile photo of Bernice Ta Donor

9. Yes, it's one of those things that really need to be practiced.

I got through a couple of rejection rounds in a Parsec contest a few years ago, but I haven’t entered any others since. Too busy trying to write and publish to make money, when life isn’t throwing some kind of shit at me.

I wish you the best, Biddy Early!

• oldandhappy (2847 posts)
    Profile photo of oldandhappy Donor

7. lots of good luck

We are cheering for you.