• War.

The ClintonDNC prefers war to quietly retiring with the 99%'s cash. Let's give 'em war, good and hard.

A Readers & Writers Menagerie

Home A Readers & Writers Menagerie

Kindle vs "tangible paper" books?

• Philip Marlowe (341 posts)
    Profile photo of Philip Marlowe

Kindle vs "tangible paper" books?

I have Kindle on my laptop…I don’t own an actual device.

I can make bookmarks, I can highlight, I can search for text, I can copy text.

I am a self-employed Web Designer and Photoshop junkie, so I spend most of my time on my laptop anyway.

I know some people swear by Kindle, others use both traditional books and Kindle, and some feel it’s the spawn of Satan himself.

What about you?

Haikugal, HeartoftheMidwest, and 6 othersdlegendary1, Enthusiast, GuardianOne, Muse rider, DookDook, Zopilote like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
32 replies
  • 7 months ago #3
  • 7 months ago #12
  • 7 months ago #20
  • 3 months ago #28
    • retrowire (480 posts)
      Profile photo of retrowire Donor

1. the one time i used kindle, i loved it! nt

I’m not such a purist. Reading is reading to me. Ya know?

I fix technological thingamadoodads. Also, Bernie is my spirit animal.
      • OCMI (1144 posts)
        Profile photo of OCMI

18. Medium selected based on type of material, where I am at the time

I’m 100% electronic for any work-related material.  I travel quite a bit for my job and like to have reference materials available wherever I am without having to lug a trunk full of hard copy.  If I were to go the trunk route, it might also make clients question my ability to do my computer-related job.  :)

For those books I know I want to keep, I purchase physical books.  I enjoy relaxing far more with those than with electronic books.  Sometimes I purchase the physical copy after I’ve already read the book in an electronic format, or the reverse.  When stuck in airports, I frequently buy an electronic copy of an old favorite to pass the time.

For brain candy (filler books used when I don’t want to think but need something to stop other thoughts from intruding), I buy electronic.  When I was a child, I frequently used the backs of cereal boxes to fulfill much the same function, which tells you the quality of books that fit in this category for me.

If you dislike Trump, you should vote for him so we can change his party from within. Yes, Hillary supporters, this is how ridiculous you sound.
    • Zopilote (277 posts)
      Profile photo of Zopilote Donor

2. Can I get a little more generalized?

Tried to self delete but I could not.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with me trying to remember where I left my damn keys...  
    • TM99 (4694 posts)
      Profile photo of TM99 Banned

3. I prefer books

and I still read eBooks as well.

When I need a text open with code while I am programming, having my Fire 5G is a god-send.  Otherwise, I still do prefer traditional books.  I have amassed a sizeable library that would be impossible to replace in electronic format.  Half the books I have are out of print or not printed in eBook formats.  Additionally, I do not like that I do not own the book.  I can’t loan it to a friend.  I can’t sell it used or trade it in for another book.  It is not mine.  I am only renting it.  That sucks.

When you hear people raising reasoned objections to Trump’s policies and appointments, odds are that you’re listening to the sort of thoughtful dissent that’s essential to any semblance of democracy, and it may be worth taking seriously. When you hear people criticizing Trump and his appointees for doing the same thing his rivals would have done, or his predecessors did, odds are that you’re getting the normal hypocrisy of partisan politics, and you can roll your eyes and stroll on. But when you hear people shrieking that Donald Trump is the illegitimate result of a one-night stand between Ming the Merciless and Cruella de Vil, that he cackles in Russian while barbecuing babies on a bonfire, that everyone who voted for him must be a card-carrying Nazi who hates the human race, or whatever other bit of over-the-top hate speech happens to be fashionable among the chattering classes at the moment—why, then, dear reader, you’re hearing a phenomenon as omnipresent and unmentionable in today’s America as sex was in Victorian England. You’re hearing the voice of class bigotry: the hate that dare not speak its name.  -- John Michael Greer
      • DookDook (267 posts)
        Profile photo of DookDook

6. You can lend kindle books.

It is a pain in the ass, however.  And I also agree with the out of print books.  I always hate when I recommend a book to someone and then I find out that it’s not in ebook format so that they can’t get it, as well as there are a few books that I would love to reread and they’re not on Kindle.

My all time favorite sci-fi series is rumored to be heading to Kindle at some point, but it’s also rumored that the author is going to actually finish writing the next book, so I’ll believe it when I see it.

• LimeTree (37 posts)
      Profile photo of LimeTree Donor

4. I like the portability of the Kindle

I have the $80 version since I read in a lighted room or outside in sunlight.

I donated my paper books to the library years ago.

• DookDook (267 posts)

5. I was one of those people who said they would never use a kindle.

Then my dad bought me a kindle.

The first thing I did when I got it was to go onto Amazon and start downloading the free books that they had on offer.  The classics that I had been paying 10 bucks for at book stores were suddenly free.  So I grabbed a bunch and figured what they heck I’d give it a try.

One of my all time favorite books is The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence and it’s because I was able to get it for free that I gave it a shot.  Also, some of my favorite short writers, Saki and O.Henry as well as a bunch of old poets that I like, Frost, Browning, Eliot, were also available for free.

Then I discovered all the kindle books that would go on sale as well as the amount of other books that could be gotten from other sites, like Project Gutenberg I was besides myself.

I’ve tried reading paper books in the past few years and it feels odd to me now.  I’ve caught myself pressing on the edge of the page and then realized, ‘Nope, doesn’t work that way.’  I also love being able to clip things.  I’ve always come across great quotes in books but I’d always misplace the slips of paper that I would write them on, or when talking about a relevant quote I’d have to poke around my desk until I found the correct slip, now I can just grab my kindle and it has all my clippings.

I also love the dictionary feature on it.  I used to sit and read with a dictionary always somewhere within arms reach, and now I don’t have to.  And the fact that the dictionary recognizes archaic words is super awesome.  I also love the fact that you can borrow books from your library as well on the Kindle and it just delivers them to the device.

• Philip Marlowe (341 posts)
        Profile photo of Philip Marlowe

7. Same here!!

My immediate reaction to the Kindle introduction was “I’ll never use one of those.”

But it became a matter or portability (I used to own a pretty substantial book collection).

I also like the fact that Amazon lets you download a sample of the book before purchase. There hasn’t been a single book that I previewed and then bought that was a disappointment.

• DookDook (267 posts)

8. The portability is something I never even think of.

I carry my kindle with me in my back pocket when I go to the grocery store by myself so that if I’m stuck on a long line I’ll have something to read.  It never crosses my mind that what is in my pocket is a book that if it was in its physical form would not be able to be jammed into my pocket.

I also forget about the shelves that are groaning under the weight of all the books I already own.  I forget how much of the space of my life was taken up with books before I had a kindle, now it’s all just stored digitally.

• TM99 (4694 posts)
            Profile photo of TM99 Banned

9. I enjoy the portability true

and I have hundreds of Kindle books.  But I have thousands of hardback and paperback books.

I can’t imagine ever reading copy of Jung’s The Red Book in Kindle format nor could I my copy of Brill’s Abū Ma‘šar on Historical Astrology with concurrent Arabic, Latin, and English text.  These books just don’t lend themselves to the two dimensionality of an eBook.

I inherited quite a few antique books from my grandfather who was an antiques dealer.  The feel of the cover, the smell of the pages, the size of them in my hands are irreplaceable sensate experiences that I will never find with a Kindle.

It can never be either or for me.

When you hear people raising reasoned objections to Trump’s policies and appointments, odds are that you’re listening to the sort of thoughtful dissent that’s essential to any semblance of democracy, and it may be worth taking seriously. When you hear people criticizing Trump and his appointees for doing the same thing his rivals would have done, or his predecessors did, odds are that you’re getting the normal hypocrisy of partisan politics, and you can roll your eyes and stroll on. But when you hear people shrieking that Donald Trump is the illegitimate result of a one-night stand between Ming the Merciless and Cruella de Vil, that he cackles in Russian while barbecuing babies on a bonfire, that everyone who voted for him must be a card-carrying Nazi who hates the human race, or whatever other bit of over-the-top hate speech happens to be fashionable among the chattering classes at the moment—why, then, dear reader, you’re hearing a phenomenon as omnipresent and unmentionable in today’s America as sex was in Victorian England. You’re hearing the voice of class bigotry: the hate that dare not speak its name.  -- John Michael Greer
      • retrowire (480 posts)
        Profile photo of retrowire Donor

11. uhh i think you just sold me on getting myself a kindle!

:D

I fix technological thingamadoodads. Also, Bernie is my spirit animal.
    • oldandhappy (2692 posts)
      Profile photo of oldandhappy Donor

10. I have an old Nook but it still works well.

I read books from the library at home and use the Nook when traveling.  I like holding books, I guess.

• NRL (175 posts)
      Profile photo of NRL Donor

12. A few points of view.

for me, personally, I like books. I end up spending too much time on my laptop, which strains my eyes – so being able to page through a book just feels better. I am sure there is an element of tradition, my particular age/generation (I am 60) – the tactile feel of a book just seems right. So, I have no nook, kindle, e-reader, and don’t expect to get one.

another observation: it also depends upon the type of book. Mostly word books – all fiction, some non-fiction – seem more suitable to an ebook than hands-on types of books, coffee table books (art), etc.

Some direct experience – when my tomato book came out, those who got the kindle version complained of some formatting errors, missing info (I know, that is on the publisher) – but of course those complaints never surfaced with the print version. Plus, as a gardening book that people wanted to take, perhaps, into their gardening work area,  it seemed to work best for most I heard from to have it as a print version. The upside of all of this is that I suspect those who bought the kindle version and liked it also bought the print version!

Just my two cents…

• lins the liberal (7 posts)
      Profile photo of lins the liberal

13. Enjoy my kindle

I have chronic pain and I avoid any unnecessary trips from home.  I love the fact that any time, day or night, I can check out library books on my kindle.

• GuardianOne (702 posts)
        Profile photo of GuardianOne

15. Gentle hug

So do we have the damn chronic pain. I have the kindle app on my smartphone. I really enjoy it. And E books sell well. I know somebody that has sold his work on amazon.

• 4Sibes (21 posts)
      Profile photo of 4Sibes

14. I have a Nook HD+, and it works well for me.

I started with a color nook, and it was great taking it to doctor’s appts.  Kept me from having to read 3 year old Sports Illustrated’s.  I then got the HD+ so I could also take some of my movies, and recorded television shows with me to the interminable waits and enjoy my time there.

Now, I use it at work to stream music, plugged into a spare set of computer speakers, and take it to lunch to continue reading.  I can also take it outside in the evening when its cool and read out there, something its a little tough to do with paper books.

One thing I’ve found I enjoy is the amount of old books that Google has scanned.  Some old publications from the 1800’s have great information that you can’t find anywhere else now.

As far as actual paper books, I can’t part with the multitudes I have.  Although many are well-worn paperbacks, they still get referred to, and read when the formatting doesn’t show up right on the Nook.

One thing I do, is convert books that I download, that are only available as PDF, or in another format the Nook doesn’t like.  That makes many more books available to me.

"... in politics nothing is accidental. If something happens, be assured it was planned this way"- Franklin D. Roosevelt -
    • Enthusiast (5481 posts)
      Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

19. I read only regular books.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
    • turtlegurl (33 posts)
      Profile photo of turtlegurl Donor

20. Librarian here

So of course I have a real love of “Real” books.  The feel of them, the smell, the strange things you find in them when they come back to the library. lol.  I have a Kindle fire that has a kindle app and a NOOK app . . .(started with a NOOK).  I  love books but I enjoy the convenience of reading on my fire tablet.  Being able to watch Netflix and Amazon prime doesn’t hurt either!  Being somewhat older, I was resistant at first but now I love e-readers.  I will say they hurt my eyes after a bit but I’ve been nearsighted most of my life so maybe that has something to do with it.  

( As an aside, can someone tell me how to change fonts on this site?  I hate this font.)

• Gryneos (1010 posts)
        Profile photo of Gryneos

27. Remember, too, that the screen on a Kindle Fire is LCD, not e-ink.

The true e-readers use e-ink technology, and that looks like black print on white paper. You can’t read on a LCD screen in the sunlight, but you can with a e-ink based reader :)

Have you seen this library in San Antonio? They’re all electronic and have been so successful in the few years they’ve been open that they’re going to open (or already have opened) more branches in the county there.

BiblioTech – Bexar County Digital Library

"You! Cake or death?" "Uh, cake for me, too, please." "Very well! Give him cake, too! We're gonna run out of cake at this rate. You! Cake or death?" "Uh, death, please. No, cake! Cake! Cake, sorry. Sorry..." "You said death first, uh-uh, death first!" "Well, I meant cake!" "Oh, all right. You're lucky I'm Church of England!" Eddie Izzard, Dress To Kill
    • Pakhet (195 posts)
      Profile photo of Pakhet Donor

21. I've gone exclusively kindle because I can change

the font size. I can’t read paperbacks anymore even with trifocals. It’s also nice to be able to carry more than one book around with you at a time.

Never be cruel, and never be cowardly, and if you are, always make amends. The Doctor
    • mak3cats (375 posts)
      Profile photo of mak3cats Donor

22. Tangible paper books for me…

For the same reasons as turtlegurl:  “The feel of them, the smell, the strange things you find in them when they come back to the library.”  (Side story – I’m not a librarian, but one time I bought an old library book and found a 40-year-old high school newsletter tucked inside.  Someone with the editor’s name was in my local phone book, so I mailed it to that address with a note saying that I hoped it found its way to right person, or at least a relative.  It did, and he was floored to get it.)

I have over 500 books, and they also play a role in my decor since I have bookcases everywhere.

I’ve never used an e-book, but my eyes aren’t what they used to be and I may have to give in some day…

Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.
      • turtlegurl (33 posts)
        Profile photo of turtlegurl Donor

23. great story!

I’ve found all sorts of weird items: photographs, grocery lists, receipts, napkins, bandaids (ugh), recipes, newspaper articles blah, blah, blah. Then there are the items that come back with unknown substances on them . . . .

• dlegendary1 (707 posts)
      Profile photo of dlegendary1 Donor

24. My reason for paperback is simple

I had a bad experience flying to see my God Daughter in New Jersey. I had a book app in my phone and I wanted to read something when I got on-board the plane. Turns out my phone crapped out on me and I was without a phone for the duration of my trip.  Not good at all!

Plus who wants to be a wall flower waiting for the kindle to charge in order to keep the story going?

• Bernice Ta (233 posts)
      Profile photo of Bernice Ta Donor

25. I have an actual Kindle, though my brother is using it right now.

I’m reading on a tablet (bought a cheap, cheap, cheap Fire), but I don’t like it as much as the K3, e-ink device. I have to have the background on sepia, but I can’t adjust it and it’s a bit darker than I’d like. White is far too bright, black with white type is not going to happen.

I didn’t think I’d ever give up paper books, but I surprised myself. I started reading ebooks on an old Palm TX (and if you’ve haven’t seen how that looks, it’s pretty bad), then my son gave the the Kindle. I basically only like reference books in paper now.

• Gryneos (1010 posts)
      Profile photo of Gryneos

26. I still own and use my Kindle Keyboard.

I wouldn’t mind getting a Paperwhite version, when funds allow. Sure, I’ve got paper books, but I prefer my Kindle for everything to do with reading. The e-ink technology is wonderful! It’s also about twenty years old now, invented by MIT researchers.

Honestly, I don’t care for paper books much anymore. All of that ‘feel’ ‘smell’ ‘heft’ et cetera nonsense goes out the window when you’re reading what’s inside. Your brain simply cannot process more than one thing at a time for the conscious mind. When you’re reading, you are taking in that information and learning or being whisked into a world unknown to the one around you. How many have ignored hunger or bladder pains in order to finish a chapter? Does the look, feel, smell, and heft of the book keep you from eating or peeing? ;)

"You! Cake or death?" "Uh, cake for me, too, please." "Very well! Give him cake, too! We're gonna run out of cake at this rate. You! Cake or death?" "Uh, death, please. No, cake! Cake! Cake, sorry. Sorry..." "You said death first, uh-uh, death first!" "Well, I meant cake!" "Oh, all right. You're lucky I'm Church of England!" Eddie Izzard, Dress To Kill
    • LWolf (86 posts)
      Profile photo of LWolf Donor

28. I can read either.

I wish I had digital copies of the thousands of titles on my shelves.  I actually chose the place I’ve been living the last 12 years for wall space.  I kept telling the real estate agent, “No!  No open concept!  I need walls for all of my book shelves!”

A kindle or other digital reader would sure be helpful if I wanted to retire to a tiny home, or even just a small cottage, if I could afford to repurchase digital copies of all of my books.  A kindle is also great for going on vacation; I can take a couple of thousand books with me, without adding weight and more cases.

That said, I still love hard copy books, and I actually prefer to research with sticky notes and a hard copy; I can go back and forth to what I’m looking for more quickly.

• Ohio Barbarian (915 posts)
      Profile photo of Ohio Barbarian Donor

29. I just like the feel of holding a real book and reading it in a comfy chair.

Sometimes I tire of glowing screens. I don’t need Kindle, anyway; I have a great local public library.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."--Voltaire  
    • FanBoy (5847 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

30. I've never used kindle, but my relatives love it. I personally think that

it will end up with Farenheit 451 ramifications once most physical books are gone.  And they are going — our local library is moving to ebooks and not buying much new anymore — and mostly bestsellers when they do.  Partly due to budget issues — which are, of course, dictated from above.

Our library weeds constantly, and after the booksales of the weeded, most end up being pulped.  And I know the same happens at other libraries in the region.

Collectors are the only ones going to have real books in the not so distant future.  By design.

• HeartoftheMidwest (114 posts)
      Profile photo of HeartoftheMidwest Donor

31. This person is a true lover of books…the traditional ones.

….BUT……I was given a Kindle, and can truly say it has one advantage: night reading.

It has illumination of the page ( great when a partner is sleeping. )

Font size can be adjusted ( for those of us who find text getting fuzzier and fuzzier. )

And background tint can be adjusted to reduce eye strain.

With all those qualities, it is easier to read in bed, in the dark, in any position. It’s not easy reading a paper book on your back or your side!

For daytime reading in an upright position, however, NOTHING will ever replace the look and feel and smell of a great, traditional book.

• HIP56948 (1424 posts)
      Profile photo of HIP56948 Donor

32. I prefer books. I can read it any time, can drop it, get it wet, even read it in

…the tub or take it to the doctor’s office.  The book can even wipe my ass if the stall is out of paper. Books don’t make good rollin’ paper but Kindle’s do an even worse job.

I also like laptops.  Kindles are like really inconsiderate laptops.  Show me that picture of Saturn I took last night.  “Fuck you, human. Can you read this?”