A Readers & Writers Menagerie

Home A Readers & Writers Menagerie

Retrowire's Recommended Reads

• retrowire (480 posts)
    Profile photo of retrowire Donor

Retrowire's Recommended Reads

So, I’m going to tell you a few of my favorite books and tell you a little bit about them and uhh, yeah!

I’m mostly into Young Adult Literature. I favor non-fiction over fiction most of the time as well. That said, here are 3 of my favorite books!

1. Replay by Ken Grimwood
      -The main character of this story dies in the first paragraph. It is one of my favorite hooks of all time. But of course, death is not his end and he is reborn in the college dorm room of his youth. Amazed to find himself a young man, but with the retained mind of his former life, he lives out his life again until death at which point… He’s born again! But! Years after college… This cycle of replay’s continue until the story’s conclusion. Highly recommend.
      https://www.amazon.com/Replay-Ken-Grimwood/dp/068816112X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467762972&sr=8-2&keywords=Replay
    2. FEED by M.T. Anderson
      -This is my favorite dystopian future type book by far. In a world where the internet is essentially implanted into everyone, it becomes harder than ever for people to understand reality outside of the… FEED. There’s even an underground society that liberates people by surgically removing the implants from them in back alleys. Compress all of this drama with the fact that the protagonist is a merely a youth trying to enjoy spring break, before his eyes were opened because of a hacker’s terrorist attack and a love interest who decides to rebel against the feed. It’s good guys, I swear.
      https://www.amazon.com/Feed-M-T-Anderson/dp/0763662623/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467762954&sr=8-1&keywords=feed
    3. Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen and Bruce Coville
      – Yes, two authors. Why? Because there are two protagonists in this young adult love story. Each chapter of this book alternates from the perspective of Jed and Marina, the two characters of this tale. In this story, both of these kids parents fall for a preachers prophetic prediction that the world will end on July 27, 2000 and that the only people who will be saved by God are those that join his congregation on the mountain. Both kids are dragged along reluctantly by their estranged parents for different reasons. Marina doesn’t know what to think, Jed is certain that it’s all bullshit. Their paths cross during this odd scenario and as a team, they slowly uncover what’s really going on on that mountain. The ending is quite the surprise by the way. Read it!
      https://www.amazon.com/Armageddon-Summer-Jane-Yolen/dp/0152022686/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1467763518&sr=1-1&keywords=armageddon+summer
    valerief, Deadpool, Enthusiast and 8 othersmelurkyoulongtime, Matariki, daleanime, DookDook, TM99, no retreat no surrender, TIME TO PANIC, Haikugal like this
    I fix technological thingamadoodads. Also, Bernie is my spirit animal.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
11 replies
  • DookDook (267 posts)
    Profile photo of DookDook

1. Three back at ya.

I also enjoy Young Adult Lit.  I do have a favorite series that is YA, but I’m not here to talk about that, I’m going to try to somewhat parallel your post Retrowire.

1.  Laughter in the Dark by Vladamir Nabokov – “Once upon a time there lived in Berlin, Germany, a man called Albinus.  He was rich, respectable, happy; one day he abandoned his wife for the sake of a youthful mistress; he loved; was not loved; and his life ended in disaster.”  And so begins the novel.  Nabakov sums up the entire work in the first paragraph and it’s brilliant.  This novel was, in a way, a prototype for another of Nabokov’s novels that involves an older man who falls in love with a young girl.  This was the first novel I read by Nabokov and I’m so glad that I gave him a shot, and the only reason I read any Nabokov is because of another author who wrote a novel that heavily alludes to a lot of Nabokov.  I’m sure that I missed a ton of sly allusions because of my very limited exposure to Nabokov, I plan on eventually just working my way through his entire body of work.  One of my favorite books and one of the most brilliant things I ever read was Pale Fire.  I went into Pale Fire knowing nothing about it and it was a trip, I also realized that another book that I loved, House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, well I don’t want to say ‘ripped off’ but borrowed the footnote bit from this book.   

https://www.amazon.com/Laughter-Vintage-International-Vladimir-Nabokov-ebook/dp/B004KABE1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1467814445&sr=1-1&keywords=laughter+in+the+dark#navbar

2.  World Made by Hand by James Howard Kunstler –  I knew of Kunstler from his blog/podcast, Clusterfuck Nation, and was interested to see what his fiction was like and this was very good.  This isn’t so much a dystopian novel but speculative fiction, but it’s not a world that I would want to inhabit.  This is a book that examines what America would be like after we hit peak oil and then need to get on in a world that no longer has easy access to oil.

https://www.amazon.com/World-Made-James-Howard-Kunstler-ebook/dp/B008V43WTI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1467814477&sr=1-1&keywords=world+made+by+hand+by+james+howard+kunstler#navbar

3.  Talking It Over by Julian Barnes – Only one author, but three very distinct voices.  The book is told from the point of view of the three characters, Stuart, Oliver and Gillian.  Stuart and Oliver are friends from primary school and when Stuart meets and falls in love with Gillian he introduces her to his friend and the three get along like a house on fire.  Each chapter is told from another characters side, so you get a very interesting glimpse into how different people see different things in the same relationship.

https://www.amazon.com/Talking-Vintage-International-Julian-Barnes-ebook/dp/B004V42Y3M/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1467814402&sr=1-1#navbar

• retrowire (480 posts)

2. nice parallel! neat! these are interesting. especially thr last one. nt

• DookDook (267 posts)

9. I've only read two other books by Julian Barnes…

Love, Etc. – This was the sequel to Talking It Over and picks up with the characters ten years after the events of the first book.  And The Sense of an Ending, which is more like a traditional book with proper descriptions and all instead of just what I thought of as something like a series of interviews or those ‘confession cam’ type things that they do on reality shows where the person talks to the camera by themselves explaining how they felt and what transpired.   The Sense of an Ending follows a middle-aged man as he contends with a past he has never much thought about.

“In those days[secondary school], we imagined ourselves as being kept in some kind of holding pen, waiting to be released into our lives.  And when that moment came, our lives — and time itself — would speed up.  How were we to know that our lives had in any case begun, that some advantage had already been gained, some damage already inflicted?  Also, that our release would only be into a larger holding pen, whose boundaries would be at first undiscernible.”

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YWKKEG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1#nav-subnav

• OCMI (895 posts)
      Profile photo of OCMI

5. World Made By Hand

Absolutely loved this book, and have reread several times.  Also have the sequel, “The Witch of Hebron”.

Thank you for reminding me of James Howard Kunstler.  I see now that there are two additional sequels.  Hooray, reading material for the weekend!

If you dislike Trump, you should vote for him so we can change his party from within. Yes, Hillary supporters, this is how ridiculous you sound.
      • DookDook (267 posts)

6. He is just releasing the fourth book in the series.

And I’m pretty sure it’s the last one.

I only read World Made By Hand, I keep promising myself that I’m going to pick up the next ones in the series but I keep getting distracted by other books.

• OCMI (895 posts)
          Profile photo of OCMI

8. Witch of Hebron

Built very well upon the first book in the series.

I’ve just downloaded A History of the Future, the third book in the series.  Typically I prefer to read a physical book, but in this case I was eager to get started.

If you dislike Trump, you should vote for him so we can change his party from within. Yes, Hillary supporters, this is how ridiculous you sound.
    • OCMI (895 posts)
      Profile photo of OCMI

7. Three of My Favorites, Not Following the Theme

It’s late, so many of the books coming to mind that parallel the themes of those mentioned are not necessarily worth recommending.  These are three that are excellent reads.

1. Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi – Follows people in a small town in Germany through the two World Wars, as told primarily from the viewpoint of Trudi.  Complex, realistic character interactions which compel thought long after the book has been read.https://www.amazon.com/Stones-River-Ursula-Hegi/dp/068484477X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1467950102&sr=8-1
      2. One Second After by William R. Forstchen – Following the aftermath of an EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse), a small town tries to survive the lack of modern conveniences, incoming supplies and law enforcement.  Thought provoking.https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765356864/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467951092&sr=8-1&keywords=the+minute+after
      3. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova – Father and daughter narrate the generational saga of one family’s interactions with the infamous Vlad Dracul, voices weaving together as the story progresses through different ages and countries.  Not a typical supernatural thriller by a long shot.https://www.amazon.com/Historian-Elizabeth-Kostova/dp/0316070637/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467950717&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Historian
      • oldandhappy (2324 posts)
        Profile photo of oldandhappy Donor

11. Liked 'Stones from the River' also.

• Matariki (2246 posts)
    Profile photo of Matariki Admin

3. Replay sounds a little like The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

https://www.amazon.com/First-Fifteen-Lives-Harry-Aug

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.
  • OCMI (895 posts)
    Profile photo of OCMI

4. RE Replay – SPOILER ALERT (select blocked text with mouse to view)

I read a book similar to what you describe (and what the Amazon website describes).  Contrary to what the Amazon summary states, in the book I recall the protagonist was not 18 each time he “replayed”.  With each replay, his age progressed until eventually the replay and death met and he began to live forward. 

Is this the same book?

• retrowire (480 posts)

10. Yes. :) nt