A Readers & Writers Menagerie

Home A Readers & Writers Menagerie

Whatcha all writing

• KaliDurga (275 posts)
    Profile photo of KaliDurga

Whatcha all writing

I read the other topic and was chagrined to realize I am not actually reading at the moment I am writing. I have no idea how to explain what I am writing in a make a long story short sort of way and without giving away too much of the plot, I will try anyway.

Each chapter of the story is going to be basically in two parts except for the last chapter. Each chapter is going to open with a recipe that is central to one the main character relating a life shaping event or one that reveals how she relates to people in her world. The second part of the chapter will be about more recent events with her Home Cooks Club she will be telling them a story that happened recently. It’s a murder mystery. So, naturally her Home Cooks Club friends will be helping her solve a mystery and they uncover a murder and they have to figure out the entire puzzle before the main characters daughter is killed.

PS the main character is kind of a terrible cook who desperately wants to learn how to improve her cooking beyond boxed, frozen, and canned food.

valerief, Half Century Man, heddafoil and 8 othersOkwui, NikolaC, Enthusiast, TM99, melurkyoulongtime, GuardianOne, NRL, djean111 like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
22 replies
  • retrowire (480 posts)
    Profile photo of retrowire Donor

1. that sounds wonderfully unique!

I’m currently writing a supernatural suspense thriller about a young man who finds himself alone in his high school in the middle of the night and I don’t want to ruin much more than that but I do intend to share with JPR the first 3 chapters of this novel.

It’s tentatively titled Serling High School after the great Rod Serling.

I fix technological thingamadoodads. Also, Bernie is my spirit animal.
  • NRL (175 posts)
    Profile photo of NRL Donor

2. It's not a quick answer…..

I am regularly writing a gardening blog – at this point, aiming to do two per week.

I am working with two different publishers for my next two books….we are still at the “fleshing out the idea” phase. One publisher is the same used for my first two gardening books – the other is a more local publisher on a more locally focused topic.

It has been quite a personal revelation to find out how much I love to write at the “advanced” age of 60!

• melurkyoulongtime (98 posts)
    Profile photo of melurkyoulongtime

3. A bio on my ex's dad and a tell-all or three :)

Rage, RAGE against the dying of the light!  Do not go gently into that good night!

• GuardianOne (702 posts)
    Profile photo of GuardianOne

4. Uh..

This.

The wife writes fan fiction, and I got involved in it with her. What you see here is part of a story called The Mouth of Death. About a third done in longhand because its been too painful for us to sit and type. Dragon software didn’t work out for us, and we hated dictating into a tape recorder. We don’t have the kind of money a typist would demand. Generally, she would sit and just do complete stories, (she did a V.I. Warshawski story for my birthday  gift one year that she told me she couldn’t write, she quits often heh) then I got into it to plot and edit. She’s too frail for the business of original fiction.

Its just the damn health problems that keep us from doing longer ones right now. She was born to write and I was born to edit, but I have co written with her quite a few times. We love it. It’s physical pain we don’t love!😢

• historylovr (132 posts)
      Profile photo of historylovr Donor

6. What fandoms do y'all write for?

And do you post it anywhere? I used to write Babylon 5 and Lord of the Rings, mostly romantic stuff.

9. I don't want to give it in public so how do we PM?

The writing forums we were on look down their noses at fanfic writers. Hell, script writers for Star Trek started out on fanzines. Dorothy Fontana. Wife started out with Star Trek. (She used to run a Shatner club, quit when it got too big)

Fanfic writing is a good place to experiment.

Incidentally thewifeisthisclosetome because the more berserkies in Berserkly are shooting guns.

Ah peace love and decibel hell.

11. Eep, y'all stay safe!

Anyway, I think we can send messages using the little envelope icon. Maybe?

I know a few writers who’ve gone on to write originals from there, and at least one who’s done Star Trek tie-in novels, so I agree that fanfic is good practice. Real writing, as a friend in the UK says. She writes massive tomes based on LotR and The Silmarillion.

12. Sound of arrow with message grin nt

13. I sent a raven, sire! Nt

14. Thanks!

• Bernice Ta (215 posts)
          Profile photo of Bernice Ta Donor

21. I don't think anyone is going to diss you for fan fiction here.

I know I won’t. I wrote Star Trek FF back in the day. My brother had a club and I wrote for it.

Currently, I have a pretty full plate:  two short stories for two different anthologies, and a flash fiction short for yet another. Then there’s the novel I need to finish by the end of the month, and I need to do a holiday themed novella after that. And the POD editions of a couple of things. And whatever else I can get done this year.

I really need to get my butt in gear for next year, though. I’ve been slacking far too long and it won’t build me the career I want if the books don’t get done.

• Enthusiast (4792 posts)
      Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

16. Sorry about your pain problem.

I’ve had a similar problem but mine is self inflicted gout.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
  • Rebkeh (85 posts)
    Profile photo of Rebkeh

5. I'm not

I haven’t been able to write in a while now, I’m hoping it’s just a long phase. I tend to write in fits and starts as it is so this stuckness isn’t helping.

The words flow nicely when I get pissed though, which is not the kind of writing I want to do. I also have a lot going on in my personal life so I’m not too hard on myself about it. I try not to be.

It will happen when it happens, I am confident. In the meantime, I can still hang out here, I hope.

8. I know the feeling well.

It’s good that you try not to beat yourself up about it. It’s something I have to work hard at not doing myself. I took a course geared toward writers on perfectionism, and one of the tips to help with being stuck is just to free write for five minutes or less. Which is what I need to be doing now … ;-)

10. My wife goes YEARS between stories and then suddenly

Its Write this down!  Grin.

I personally think GRRM abuses that, but that’s me. (Finish that foookkkinnn book, you dimwit, skip the con!)

(Now I’ll be thrown to Ramsey’sdogs by the book purists)

Before I forget  EeeeeKkkk that was loud. Ok i’m fine.

Before I forget Reddit has a group where people suggest writing prompts. We did a romance between a sports bra and a sock.

7. That sounds fun.

I’ve been working on a fantasy short story. Need to get re-focused on it.

• TM99 (4474 posts)
    Profile photo of TM99

15. That sounds great.

I would definitely read it. :)

Right now I am working on the research phase and outline for a book on traditional pre-Enlightenment astrology in Europe.

I am also working on another rap album.  I am so angry at this primary and this one is going to be vicious and very political.  :banghead:

I used to have a photo of Putin giving the finger as a protest to all of the anti-Russian hysterics and fake news non-sense.  Admin said to remove it because they and certain members thought it was a fuck you to the site and the members.  It was not.  

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.” -- Voltaire

• Okwui (2 posts)
    Profile photo of Okwui

17. Right now I'm working on submission materials for my mini-series pitch.

I’ve finished the pilot, which is based on a trilogy stage plays about 3 families in Indian Territory from the Civil War through 1921.  All the stage plays have been recognized and/or produced in national competitions as well as two one-act plays along the same theme.  I’ve written all of this within the past five years (amazing, to me!) and I’ve never had any other work be received with such enthusiasm and interest.  But, for now I am struggling with the one-pager, the synopses, the treatment, the bible and all that other stuff that has nothing to do with storytelling.  Gotta get through it, though.  Whatever you’re working on: Don’t Give Up!

• DookDook (267 posts)
    Profile photo of DookDook

18. I was writing stuff based on my Savage World and some other PnPRPGs

I was involved with a group of people and we used to play Fantasy Grounds online through Steam.  Fantasy Grounds is virtual tabletop program, so it allows you to play pencil and paper role playing games, like Dungeons and Dragons, G.U.R.P.S,. or FATE or any other type of game.

When I started up with the group our GM, Eric, was running a Trail of Cthulhu game that uses GUMSHOE system.  I wrote up my characters story and action based on what happened after each play session so that it was like a journal.  This allowed me to give ‘Mike Cobblestones’ some depth as a character so he wasn’t just the hulking brute that most of the other players saw him as.  But like most Cthulhu games, Mike didn’t make it and was devoured, soul first, by some nightmarish creature.

I kept this going and with another group that I was playing a longer Advanced Dungeons and Dragons campaign I had my character keeping a diary.  The sessions however came to an end when the DM’s computer crashed and took all his files with it.

My last attempt was when Eric started up a Beasts and Barbarians Savage Worlds game and I was writing stories based on our adventures.  This worked well enough that one of the other players also joined in and he started writing background stories for his character.  It was a lot of fun and I was sad when our campaign came to it’s natural conclusion.  My character, true to form, died at the end, but at least he had a good ending and I had played him long enough that I was fine letting him go, good times.

• Coyote Walks (142 posts)
    Profile photo of Coyote Walks Donor

19. Fanfiction…. sort of

I am writing fanfiction for a sorta cancelled/be back in 2017 card game called Legend of the Five Rings.

Currently, I am the head writer for the unofficial tournament Story Team (it’s a team! there is one other person on it!).  We are filling in since the IP was sold to a new company after 20 years and no official fiction has been out since last year.

• oldandhappy (2366 posts)
    Profile photo of oldandhappy Donor

20. This sounds interesting and fun.

• valerief (696 posts)
    Profile photo of valerief Donor

22. Your book sounds fun. Reminds me of a saying we had in our house growing up.

If it doesn’t come out of a can, we don’t eat it. :rofl:

traveling pigeon[Votes: if they're not worth counting twice, they're not worth counting at all.] [Everything is fiction.]