• Site changes

Site will be down for an hour overnight (Mon/Tue) for an hour, some significant "behind the scenes" server changes happening. If all goes well, you'll see nothing different tomorrow except for faster speed and encrypted connections (HTTPS). Not sure of exact timing.

Atheist/Humanist/Non-Religious

Home Atheist/Humanist/Non-Religious

A History of God

• MRM1024 (235 posts)
    Profile photo of MRM1024

A History of God

The things that history can teach us never ceases to amaze me. The Abrahamic Religions are no exception to this. Looking into the origins of religion is a somewhat new thing for me. I recently found a video that is based on a book that was released in the 1990’s. It is called ‘A History of  God’ by Karen Armstrong. From what I can tell this book seems credible. The information is backed up, and believed at least by secular historians. If anyone knows more about it I would love to hear it. This is a 15 minute video that shows how dependent Judaism, Christianity, and Islam were based on certain polytheistic religions as well as how the Bible was pieced together in a very dishonest way. Anyone who sees this cannot reasonably think that these religions are true. It is a must watch for those who are not familiar with it so I thought I would share it here.

http://www.themindvoyager.com/history-god-polytheistic-origins-christianity-judaism/

edit: added link

Idaho progressive, ablamj, Doremus Jessup and 1 otherLiberalArkie like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Trouble (3022 posts)
    Profile photo of Trouble

1. I'm reading a book at the moment that ties into this

The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes.  His theory is that human consciousness is no older than 3,000 years, and people before consciousness thought the voices in their heads like we all have were gods speaking to them.  It’s a deep subject and requires a lot of thought, but makes complete sense.  He theorizes people became monotheists when they became conscious.

I’m interested in your video and will watch it tonight, thanks.

Do your own damned research and be sure to include extraordinary proof so others don't need to think.      
    • MRM1024 (235 posts)
      Profile photo of MRM1024

2. Book sounds interesting.

Let me know when you have seen the video. I would like to know what you think! Thanks

• Trouble (3022 posts)
        Profile photo of Trouble

3. I stopped watching about half way through

Way too much info, way too fast.  I’ll watch it again when I have more time.

Do your own damned research and be sure to include extraordinary proof so others don't need to think.      
        • MRM1024 (235 posts)
          Profile photo of MRM1024

4. I had to watch it a number of times.

Indeed there was a lot of information. I did a lot of pausing and even took notes. Take your time. I hope you enjoy it when you do see it.