Cannabis on JPR

Home Cannabis on JPR

Will Donald Trump Sucker-Punch the Weed Industry?

• N2Doc (2280 posts)
    Profile photo of N2Doc Donor

Will Donald Trump Sucker-Punch the Weed Industry?

By Nico Escondido

snip

Like so many other Trump positions, it’s fluid, sometimes nonsensical and, most ominously, subject to change.

He has said that he is behind medical marijuana 100 percent; Recreational marijuana, he has said, should be left up to the states.

But, Colorado is “a real problem.”

President Obama said last week that federal marijuana enforcement would no longer be “tenable” with so many states legalizing adult use.

But it is possible the Trump Administration could take steps to shut down the cannabis industry at the beginning of January. That’s because there is nothing concrete about the “hands off” approach that was conjured up by the Obama Administration back in 2014. Although the Justice Department has refused to intervene with states that have legalize marijuana as long as they adhere to certain requirements, the truth is that under Federal law marijuana is still a Schedule 1 narcotic. There are simply no laws that could stop President Trump from bringing the whole scene to a screeching halt using federal enforcement.

more

http://hightimes.com/news/will-donald-trump-sucker-punch-the-weed-industry/

I hope they are right and that Trump realizes this a no win fight for him. Leave it to the states.

ITW2, 7wo7rees, morgwynn and 1 otherRocco like this
    "But nothing ever changes unless there's some pain" - Tears For Fears "Goodnight Song"

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
21 replies
  • Rocco (487 posts)
    Profile photo of Rocco Donor

1. Why?

In the Netherlands, even though weed is still illegal, they tolerate it. They have places where it is legal to purchase it. They generally don’t bother people for weed, unless they are growing large amounts of it. If the police find weed on your person, they take it away, and that’s all.
    Why can’t we do that here in the US? (not to mention off topic, the Netherlands are closing their prisons!)

Why can’t we let the states do what they want with this herb?

I have a feeling that if Cheeto King decides to crack down on weed, that there will be even more riots in states that have made adult consumption legal.

What happened to the RepubliCONs stating that they do not want more regulation? Isn’t this regulation?

Just sayin’

• N2Doc (2280 posts)

2. Because of the old guard like Christie and mr. 9 11

They only want to enrich the prison-industrial complex. And of course that helps remove minorities from the voting ranks. Win-win for them.

But we shall see how clever mr. Trump is. Does he pick his fights or just declare total war?

"But nothing ever changes unless there's some pain" - Tears For Fears "Goodnight Song"
      • xloadiex (243 posts)
        Profile photo of xloadiex

14. Private prison stocks

have been soaring since Trump won. He’s going to want to keep those well stocked.

• Sadie (2952 posts)
      Profile photo of Sadie Donor

4. This is how it used

to be before the War on Drugs took place.  It was illegal in the 70s, but as long as you weren’t hurting anyone but yourself, the police left you alone.  It needs to be decriminalized.  I think kratom and cannabis are the safest plant that shouldn’t have ever been criminalized.

I believe the last time it was polled, 60% of Americans are for the decriminalization even though many can not ever use it due to their jobs.

Wake up, peeps, their kids go to Harvard and Yale; your kids go to Iraq & Afghanistan.   
  • Bearian (361 posts)
    Profile photo of Bearian

3. What has Obama done to help it.

Still a schedule 1 drug , he has had 8 years . Glad I sold my tier 2 license.

• N2Doc (2280 posts)

5. Who cares about Obama?

Really. Who cares anymore?

• Bearian (361 posts)
        Profile photo of Bearian

7. Some of the inmate's in prison care.

8 years he could have changed it but no he had to keep up the tough guy image. Wouldn’t want to look weak to the Repugs.

So he kept sending them off to prison.   Now Trump gets to play One Up. He could have changed it day one.

• N2Doc (2280 posts)

9. Invent a time machine then

Because what is done is done. Obama could have done what Christie suggests that he will do, and send the full force of the DOJ after the states. But he didn’t. The fact that one can openly buy and partake in several states is progress.  I do not want to see that progress go away, and putting pressure on the new administration is the best way for now to keep that from happening. Unless you have a time machine.

• Bearian (361 posts)
            Profile photo of Bearian

13. All thats needed to be done is Rescheduling it, problem solved and

Trump can’t do anything about it. Now the sky is falling. To bad some many people are now in prison or lost their legal business due to something Obama did as a youth. What difference would Hillary have made? None

• Sebastopolitan (417 posts)
      Profile photo of Sebastopolitan Banned

18. Give Obama credit.

He could have used the power of the federal government to squash both medical marijuana and legal marijuana. Instead, his Justice Department instructed prosecutors and the DEA to not interfere with state-legal marijuana programs.

Yeah, he didn’t go further and use his political capital to advance legalization, but he largely got the federal government out of the way.  And now, we have facts on the ground. The largest state in the country has legalized it. And so have Alaska, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and the District of Columbia. I don’t think Trump will pick a fight on this. At least, I hope not.

• Jan Boehmermann (2013 posts)
    Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

6. There's a lot of "sky is falling" talk on JPR lately.

I don’t see the future Trump administration doing this.  They have too many other issues to worry about and this is not a battle they want to take on.

• N2Doc (2280 posts)

8. Sometimes the sky does fall

But maybe you think Trump will be great?

10. Red Herring much?

Listen…….He can’t do anything until he’s sworn in.  Preemptive panic mongering isn’t helpful.

• N2Doc (2280 posts)

11. I wish JPR had an ignore function. Good Day.

12. Good day to you too, my concerned friend.

• Sebastopolitan (417 posts)
        Profile photo of Sebastopolitan Banned

19. No need to go there.

Poster said he didn’t think Trump would go after marijuana. So you accuse him of being a Trump supporter. Seems a little over the top.

I think (and hope) Trump won’t try to undo legal marijuana. That’s my opinion. Doesn’t mean I support Trump.

If he does try to undo it, we will fight him. That would then be just one of many battles we will be waging against Trump and the GOP.

• Rocco (487 posts)

15. Well when he DOES do this

or other “sky is falling” things.

I’ll come and tell you, “We told you so.”

16. Sorry. But if you're trying to sell Hillary here…….

I don’t think you’ll find many buyers.

• Rocco (487 posts)

17. I wouldn't sell her for any amount of money to anyone n/t

• Marylander (379 posts)
    Profile photo of Marylander

20. I don't think he'd be that stupid. Talk about civil war!

• B Calm (601 posts)
    Profile photo of B Calm

21. He said he was strong on state rights. Cheap Mexican weed

may be harder to find.

“When I was a kid growing up, I think my instincts always were for the underdog.” – Bernie Sanders