Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

Apple Abandons Development of Wireless Routers

• LiberalArkie (3498 posts)
    Profile photo of LiberalArkie Donor

Apple Abandons Development of Wireless Routers

Apple Inc. has disbanded its division that develops wireless routers, another move to try to sharpen the company’s focus on consumer products that generate the bulk of its revenue, according to people familiar with the matter.

Apple began shutting down the wireless router team over the past year, dispersing engineers to other product development groups, including the one handling the Apple TV, said the people, who asked not to be named because the decision hasn’t been publicly announced.

Apple hasn’t refreshed its routers since 2013 following years of frequent updates to match new standards from the wireless industry. The decision to disband the team indicates the company isn’t currently pushing forward with new versions of its routers. An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment on the company’s plans.

Routers are access points that connect laptops, iPhones and other devices to the web without a cable. Apple currently sells three wireless routers, the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time capsule. The Time capsule doubles as a backup storage hard drive for Mac computers.

Snip

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-21/apple-said-to-abandon-development-of-wireless-routers-ivs0ssec

(Next the Mac Mini and Mac Pro?)

glinda, N2Doc, Downwinder and 1 otherHaikugal like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• N2Doc (2259 posts)
    Profile photo of N2Doc Donor

1. Eventually Apple will be a lifestyle company selling phones and accessories

They don’t seem to care much about their computers anymore, with the exception of portables. I figure those will eventually just become glorified iPhones.

That said, with the advent of cloud storage, and cheap hard drives, the time capsule was outmoded. The others also have been outclassed by other, cheaper products.

"But nothing ever changes unless there's some pain" - Tears For Fears "Goodnight Song"
    • Akallabeth (2234 posts)
      Profile photo of Akallabeth

2. They have to stay ahead of the curve to get the high margin business

Wireless routers (an area they pioneered a long time ago) are commodity products..

Apple’s #1 asset is OSX – less so the hardware that runs it.

BTW, I actually met the two Steves when I was MUCH younger, they gave me a short but surreal late night ride back uptown (from the lower east side to the place I was staying which was in the 20s) in their incredibly smelly van.

the smell of rancid chocolate milk. Whenever I smell rancid milk it always reminds of of that ride.

A friend also was Jobs roommate and travel buddy for a while.

"Out of many, one"