Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

Could some computer/internet-saavy

• FanBoy (5702 posts)
    Profile photo of FanBoy

Could some computer/internet-saavy

person answer a question for me about instagram, facebook, twitter and all those type of sites?

Can an account holder monitor the ip addresses of people who visit their site?   Can they do the same for 2nd-party services that aggregate posts and photos from those sites?  (Yooying, WEBSTA, etc.?).

https://websta.me/tag/yooying

Can an IP address be identified to a street address or individual computer?

Thankful for any help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
6 replies
  • Post Removed (717 posts)
    Profile photo of Post Removed Donor

1. You would have to be an admin, site owner or warrant holder.

The site owner or admin would have to comply or not to the warrant holder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Assistance_for_Law_Enforcement_Act

Edit: The last part try this https://geoiptool.com/

that is about all a site can see about you besides the type browser you are using and the last couple websites you have visited on your way there, (cookies).

• FanBoy (5702 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

2. thank you for the response, but i don't quite understand —

you’d have to be an admin etc to do which of the things I listed, exactly?

what’s a site owner or warrant holder?  if I have an account on one of those popular sites (facebook etc) am I a site owner or warrant holder?

like if I have an instagram account, can I see exactly who visits me?  enough to id a person?

or do you mean that if you own a website (like jackpine radicals or facebook en toto), the admin could know who posts?  or just the admin of each individual account on the larger (eg ‘twitter’) entity?

3. The last…

or do you mean that if you own a website (like jackpine radicals or facebook en toto), the admin could know who posts? or just the admin of each individual account on the larger (eg ‘twitter’) entity?

An account holder on a website cannot track or trace anything they would have to have your IP address. Only the owner or admin(has owner access) of a website can see your IP address and with this address they can see this info https://geoiptool.com/

When you click that website, you can see that they cannot trace you to your home address only the last point of your ISP.

Now if you are running a unsecured Modem, access point(wifi router) and you have an unscrupulous ISP or Admin at (like jackpine radicals or facebook en toto) they can log into your home network.

• FanBoy (5702 posts)
          Profile photo of FanBoy

4. a wifi router is an unsecured access point? what is a wifi router?

and for the rest, let me rephrase and see if you agree to check if I’ve understood you:

if I have e.g. a twitter account or an account on any of the other such “group” sites:  I can’t see the ip addresses of the people who hit on my page?  only the admin of the larger site (twitter as a whole) can see the ip’s.  correct?

5. Russians!!

Your ISP modem, AP, wifi router are one in the same and if you don’t change the login and password from the default are left wide open to anyone with your ip address. The reason I add wifi router to the mix, your isp modem(AP) can be hacked from the net while your wifi can be hacked by the 400lb guy on his bed next door.

Now to my title Russians!! The way hacking works, they first must get authorization from the highest levels… then they start looking on the intertubes to find IP addresses and send the default logins and passwords to them, when they find one unsecured they then send anything they find to PUTIN.

if I have e.g. a twitter account or an account on any of the other such “group” sites: I can’t see the ip addresses of the people who hit on my page? only the admin of the larger site (twitter as a whole) can see the ip’s. correct?

correct

• FanBoy (5702 posts)
              Profile photo of FanBoy

6. thank you for the help. so if i was checking out my ex's current

love, no big worries (unless the love is some kind of tech wizard or spy…), amirite?

(but I guess i’ll stop anyway cause it’s bad for my self-respect…)