• War.

The ClintonDNC prefers war instead of quietly retiring with the 99%'s cash. Let's give 'em war, good and hard.

Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

Good Deal for $500?

• Jan Boehmermann (2083 posts)
    Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

Good Deal for $500?

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 6-Core 3.5GHz

MEMORY:  G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

MOTHERBOARD: MSI 970A-G46 AM3+

GRAPHICS CARD:  NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB (x2 in SLI)

COOLER:  Antec Kuhler H20 620 Liquid Cooler

STORAGE: 60GB Mushkin Chronos SSD
    1TB Western Digital Blue HDD

POWER SUPPLY: 700W Raidmax 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

OTHER: LITE-ON DVD Burner
    LED Light Strip w/ Controller

TIA!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
15 replies
  • sonofspy777 (72 posts)
    Profile photo of sonofspy777 Donor

Fiat justitia, pereat coelum!

(The truth, tho' Heaven falls!)   - John Quincy Adams

• Hobbit709 (1407 posts)
      Profile photo of Hobbit709 Donor

3. If you're like me and keep no data on the C drive, that's plenty.

I use a 120 Gb SSD as my boot drive and it still has 65 Gb of free space with about 75 different programs loaded on it-on Windows 7 Pro x64. But I keep absolutely no data files on my boot drive.

I won't shut up and I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing
      • Eggar (941 posts)
        Profile photo of Eggar Donor

5. Yep, did that for a long time

have had my external 2-bay archgon usb3 pal with me for storage and mirroring – no better way to go.

I have yet to find any reason to leave my xp64 Pro (Rare) at home. Work’s a different story with their *have-to’s*

Did get a recent great deal on a 256 mushkin SSD – I couldn’t pass up on, though (after using a 32 for a long time)

Damn You NEWEGG!

#BernieMan_2017

BlackRock-NV

• FanBoy (5862 posts)
        Profile photo of FanBoy

9. You mean no files created by you? does that include stuff saved from the

internet?

may I ask what the reason for not wanting to save stuff is?

• Hobbit709 (1407 posts)

10. Got in the habit a long time ago, when I had to reinstall the OS often.

Anything on the D partition or drive is not affected by formatting C.

the only thing on my C drive is the OS and any installed programs and settings.

All data-pix, music, docs, videos, etc. is separate.

• FanBoy (5862 posts)
            Profile photo of FanBoy

11. Is a D drive on the hard drive or a separate drive?

• Hobbit709 (1407 posts)

12. On my main system, it's a separate drive since I use a 120Gb SSD as the boot

then I have a 2 TB partitioned into about 5 partitions-i keep things separate. One has my data and docs, one my music, one my videos, and one has all my .iso files for various OS’s. All this is also backed up on external drives.

If I had to rebuild, the absolute max data not backed up would be about 6 days worth.

My computer in my bedroom doesn’t have a SSD boot drive so I just partitioned the hard drive the same way.

My HTPC in the living room just has a 60 Gb SSD with a minimal setup on it-Mint 14. If I want to watch a movie or listen to music I just plug in the appropriate external drive.

• FanBoy (5862 posts)
                Profile photo of FanBoy

13. Thank you for sharing your knowledge; one last question — if one is hacked,

how much do the partitions help to protect data?

• Hobbit709 (1407 posts)

14. Depending on the type of hack.

could be relatively safe or totally screwed. Ransomware will search every drive on your system. Some nasties will only screw with the C drive.

Backup, backup, backup, is my motto. All of my data is saved on at least 3 separate drives. And my backup drives are not connected until I need to add data and disconnected as soon as I’m done.

• FanBoy (5862 posts)
                    Profile photo of FanBoy

15. thank you for the information.

• Hobbit709 (1407 posts)

2. I'd say that's pretty fair.

I spent a little more than that on my main system, but it’s got a little more than that in it.

• Jan Boehmermann (2083 posts)
      Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

4. Actual cost is $450 shipped.

It was a computer my nephew put together.  So I know where he lives if he ripped me off! 

• Eggar (941 posts)
    Profile photo of Eggar Donor

6. Yep, Good Deal

Can’t get more base line compared by quality for what you got. Decent Kit! Neat that you have 2 PCIE-E slots for any future possibilities for SLI Linking a couple cards together, but even moreso foregoing the SLI at least have the advantage to Utilize the CUDA cores on some very inexpensive cards out there for any of the High End Processing needed for a good chunk of software out there today ( Real-time Rendering, Gene-Sequencing – HA!, VR simulations, viedo editing, voxel sculpting & what name ya ) Nice system to have to future renovate with!  Like working on an Old Car – Easy :)

Can’t go wrong with the MSI & Asus Boards. – YAY!

and your new sleek, good workhorse GPU  ooo-lah-lah

My 10yr old + Asus is still holding it’s Cheese! :) Ain’t she Purdee…?

and a hotrod gpu to go with it!

(now gravely outdated 600 cuda cores in comparison to your 900+)

#BernieMan_2017

BlackRock-NV

• Hobbit709 (1407 posts)

7. My main system has a AMD FX-8370 Oc'd to 5 GHz, 16 Mb 1600 MHz RAM

MSI Gaming 970 motherboard, 120 Gb SSD boot drive, 2 TB data drive, PNY NVidia GTX 1060 graphics, Corsair H60 liquid cooling, 2 M-Disk DVD/RW burners. Connected to a Samsung 40 inch 4K TV used as a monitor.

I got the OS tweaked so that boot time to desktop from power on is 16 seconds.

• Akallabeth (2234 posts)
    Profile photo of Akallabeth

8. If your going to buy memory, buy two matched sticks for the whole amount say, 8

8gb sticks to make 16 gb Dont buy four smaller sticks, you’ll end up having to not use two if you want to expand it. Also, I would try to find a bundle. You can use PC Parts Picker to ensure compatibility and make sure you’re getting the best price out there now.

"Out of many, one"