Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

Website shows you being monitored in real time

• cc6 (1449 posts)
    Profile photo of cc6

Website shows you being monitored in real time

If you think you are not being analysed while browsing websites, it could be time to reconsider.

A creepy new website called clickclickclick has been developed to demonstrate how our online behaviour is continuously measured.

Dutch media company VPRO and Amsterdam-based interactive design company Studio Moniker is the mastermind behind the site, which observes and comments on your behaviour in great detail.

snip

Maurer explained clickclickclick was designed to make you think about your online behavior.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=11752280

goodgirl, VoiceOfReason, glinda and 7 othersFanBoy, Haikugal, PADemD, Lynetta, Arctic Dave, mntleo2, virgdem like this
    (~_^)  and this  o (~_~) o   (#~_~)  o   and (^~^)3   this (o_o)   this  (6_6)  (O_O) and  (*_*) (*_o) (o*o) 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
7 replies
  • FanBoy (4549 posts)
    Profile photo of FanBoy

1. I'm afraid to click it. Has anyone done so?

• AlreadyInUse (832 posts)
    Profile photo of AlreadyInUse

2. Is this functionally different than Ghostery somehow?

https://www.ghostery.com/why-ghostery/for-individuals/

• glinda (1209 posts)
      Profile photo of glinda Donor

3. Have you tried it?

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb
      • AlreadyInUse (832 posts)
        Profile photo of AlreadyInUse

5. I just gave it a look, nothing overly concerning to me.

This looks like the output of a bored individual trying to create an alarming sounding Thing. Upon loading, it displayed the same text found in articles about it – “subject has moved 10 pixels to the right”, etc.

Anyone with a passing familiarity with how browsers function to display websites and deal with user interaction knows that the system must map things like mouse movements to operate correctly. Any program using a graphical user interface (GUI) is going to do the same, whether it’s a calculator or web browser.

There are extensions available for those who want to see  and control actual tracking behavior and/or prevent scripts from running behind the scenes. Try Ghostery and NoScript (which may actually disable some of the functionality of a webpage needed to make it usable).  UBlock Origin also comes highly recommended. There are many extensions as well to control cookies, too numerous to list.

• glinda (1209 posts)
          Profile photo of glinda Donor

6. Thanks!

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb
  • Hobbit709 (1196 posts)
    Profile photo of Hobbit709 Donor

4. you wouldn't have any kind of interactive web without it.

I won't shut up and I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing
  • Greenwich (1724 posts)
    Profile photo of Greenwich Donor

7. Cheaper to have posters monitor themselves out of fear?

“FEAR is Mind Control” —

https://s25.postimg.org/kigej3nu7/A0m_Cy_CC_400x400.jpg