Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

Guess who came to dinner?

• Calico (390 posts)
    Profile photo of Calico Donor

Guess who came to dinner?

Posey, the smartest and bravest of the wild opossums that visit my yard, has caught on that I bring food offerings just at dark. I’ll open the door to see her peeking up over the top of the deck, or standing just outside the door. So I put a Thanksgiving spread out for her. She came in far enough to scarf up chicken and stuffing, and lick up the yogurt. Then she got nervous and skedaddled.

I put the rest of the food outside for them, and she was joined by Blossom, the smallest and most skittish. They ate all the chicken, stuffing, yogurt, assorted berries and nuts… but once again left the sweet potatoes! I don’t understand… they all loved the sweet potatoes the first time. Now they won’t touch them, but are crazy about russets.

Enthusiast, Pastiche, roguevalley and 11 othersLiberalElite, Land of Enchantment, Mom Cat, broiles, djean111, formercia, Totally Liberal Dem, dreamnightwind, dorkzilla, Haikugal, elias39 like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• elias39 (2393 posts)
    Profile photo of elias39 Donor

1. Weird little critters.

And I’m sure you know how they ‘play possum’. I saw it happen last year. My dog was barking up a storm in the back yard. I went out to investigate and found him standing over a young possum. It wasn’t moving. I collared the dog and just kind of poked it with my toe. Nothing. Dead.

Whoa! Wait a minute! Suddenly I guess it figured it was now or never, jumped up and scampered off, none the worse for wear.

“Name, no, nothing is nameable, tell, no, nothing can be told, what then, I don't know, I shouldn't have begun.” ― Samuel Beckett, Stories and Texts for Nothing
    • Calico (390 posts)
      Profile photo of Calico Donor

2. I've never seen one play dead.

I’ve seen them open their mouths wide, hiss, growl when startled. They’ve eyed my dog at the end of her leash and strolled off after deciding she couldn’t reach them. I scooped up a baby running down the sidewalk during the day in the middle of a rainstorm, all by itself — something was wrong with its one eye. Found one unable to walk, with its back broken after falling from a tree. I took those two guys to a wildlife rescue center. But not one of them played dead. I guess they just didn’t feel threatened enough.

Update: All the sweet potatoes were gone this morning.

• LiberalElite (3663 posts)
    Profile photo of Liberal Elite Donor

3. A friend in Florida had an oppossum take up winter residence in

her garage.  My friend also called that oppossum “Blossom.” :-)

I feel much better since I've given up hope
  • roguevalley (1171 posts)
    Profile photo of roguevalley

4. My grand daughter rehabs them. U do good here

Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder treason and plot! I know of no reason why the Gunpowder treason should ever be forgot! -V