Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

Having A Cat Does Not Cause Mental Illness, New Study Suggests

• LiberalElite (3673 posts)
    Profile photo of Liberal Elite Donor

Having A Cat Does Not Cause Mental Illness, New Study Suggests

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cats-mental-illness-toxoplasma_us_58adc06ae4b03d80af714072

Living with a cat during childhood does not cause mental illness later in life, a new study from University College London suggests, disputing earlier studies that caused alarm by linking cats to human mental illness.

“We found that children who were born and raised in households that included cats at any time period – that is, pregnancy, early and late childhood – were not at a higher risk of having psychotic symptoms when they were 13 or 18 years old,” researchers wrote in The Conversation. The study was published in the journal Psychological Medicine on Wednesday.

The researchers used data from 5,000 children who took part in the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children, which tracks the health of people born in 1991 and 1992

Enthusiast, Jan Boehmermann, Mom Cat and 2 othersMagical Thyme, em77 like this
    I feel much better since I've given up hope

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
7 replies
  • em77 (2507 posts)
    Profile photo of em77 Donor

1. I didn't need a study for this.

• Mom Cat (6022 posts)
    Profile photo of Mom Cat Donor

2. Not true! My cat is driving me crazy! I wish he would learn to type or stop

trying!      :evilgrin:

NEVER FORGET      BERNIE WON!          
    • Rocky (567 posts)
      Profile photo of Rocky Donor

5. I get it…..

:rofl:

• NV Wino (2293 posts)
    Profile photo of NV Wino Donor

3. Good god. People get paid for this shit?

Don't blame me. I voted for Bernie and Jill.
    • Jan Boehmermann (2415 posts)
      Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

4. A nice gig….. if you can get it!

• HassleCat (354 posts)
    Profile photo of HassleCat

6. My cat tried to make me crazy.

When I operated my ham radio, the cat would lie on top of it, where it was warm.  He discovered he could make the digits of the frequency display by reaching down and tapping the tuning dial.  I could lock the dialnin place, but that made him complain and tap me on the hand until I relented and let him play with the radio.

• Mom Cat (6022 posts)
      Profile photo of Mom Cat Donor

7. Don't let that cat anywhere near mine. He has enough crazy making

habbits as it is!

NEVER FORGET      BERNIE WON!