• Site changes

Site will be down for an hour overnight (Mon/Tue) for an hour, some significant "behind the scenes" server changes happening. If all goes well, you'll see nothing different tomorrow except for faster speed and encrypted connections (HTTPS). Not sure of exact timing.

Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

Sprouted seeds with vegetables for my birds

• NVBirdlady (3774 posts)
    Profile photo of NVBirdlady Donor

Sprouted seeds with vegetables for my birds

My ritual every Saturday for the past 14 years has been to prepare sprouted seeds with vegetables for my Quaker Parakeet and Green Cheeked Conure.

On Thursday, I soak the seeds in water with a drop or two of grapefruit extract for 24 hours, this kills any bacteria on the seeds. I always get the seeds from a local bird store.

On Friday night, I rinse the seeds using a strainer in the sink using the spray attachment for about 15 minutes, and let them dry overnight.

On Saturday, I chop zucchini, carrots, red peppers. I add fresh corn and the sprouted seeds to the mixture. In their dish, they get the vegetable/seed mixture and sugar snap peas. They both love this mixture, so it is worth the effort.

Many of my fellow bird lovers use this recipe. There are some birds that will not eat the vegetables. Picky, just like humans. My two have loved the sprouted seeds and vegetables from being very young birds. I’m very lucky that they enjoy this meal, and they are healthier.

Haikugal, Enthusiast, eridani and 8 othersLiberalElite, night, immoderate, 7wo7rees, Abakan, Magical Thyme, zoolook67, em77 like this
    President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Eggar (1149 posts)
    Profile photo of Eggar Donor

1. Very Sage

Information there. Thank you NV-BL!

• Haikugal (4657 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

2. What seeds do you use?

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!!
    • NVBirdlady (3774 posts)
      Profile photo of NVBirdlady Donor

3. I'm not sure of brand. My local pet store buys in bulk.

here is a picture. It has oats and groats, chickpeas, buckwheat, corn and some others.

Seed

President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020
      • Haikugal (4657 posts)
        Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

4. Very cool, I can see why they like it. Thanks!

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!!