Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

When was the last time you shared Ice Cream with your pet?

• ITW2 (64 posts)
    Profile photo of ITW2

When was the last time you shared Ice Cream with your pet?

My Blue and Gold Macaw loves ice cream. 

Enthusiast likes this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
22 replies
  • 2 months ago #5
    • NVBirdlady (3312 posts)
      Profile photo of NVBirdlady Donor

1. I have a Quaker and Green Cheek Conure.

Both seem to have a sweet tooth. I will occasionally give them a taste of vanilla ice cream. It is a rarity though especially with the Quaker.

President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  Giant Meteor 2020
      • ITW2 (64 posts)
        Profile photo of ITW2

2. Miss Frodo is a beggar. She loves to share my food.

If it isn’t bird friendly ( like avocado )  either I eat it while I’m away from home or not at all.

Miss Frodo was born in 2001. She started laying eggs during summer of 2015 and hasn’t stopped. All she wants to do is brood  and lay 3 new eggs every 6 weeks. I miss her old playful ways. :cry:

:hi:

• NVBirdlady (3312 posts)
          Profile photo of NVBirdlady Donor

6. Yes bird friendly food. Mine are crazy for spaghetti.

I can’t imagine having a female laying eggs. All of my birds have been males. My Quaker is 14 and my GCC is 5. Both males. They hump their toys.

President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  Giant Meteor 2020
        • Abakan (2001 posts)
          Profile photo of Abakan Donor

7. Does she have a box?

Or is she laying on the floor of her cage? If she is broody you can get somethings

like marbles that are roughly the same size, shape and color of her eggs. Exchange

them with her eggs.

If she is a chronic layer she needs additional calcium supplements.

img_2126

Today the buck stops nowhere, no one takes the blame.

But evil is still evil, in anybody's name.  Don Henley

• ITW2 (64 posts)
            Profile photo of ITW2

9. She is laying eggs inside her cage. 30 eggs between 10/17/16 and 6/1/15.

I’ve tried leaving the 3 to 6 eggs in with her because they are clean and unbroken. I almost took her last clutch away but didn’t have the heart to upset her.

Last month I offered her a way to walk from her cage onto my bed in hopes of distracting her. We played and cuddled a bit. She rolls over on her back to play with her feet up in the air like a cat. Sigh. :facepalm: We stopped that after she pooed on my bed several times. She never did that before becoming a mom.

Her main diet is Higgins InTune for Macaws. I was giving her vitamin supplements mixed with juice or warm grits until I read that could become toxic.

I think the only thing that may stop her laying behavior is to move her cage out of my bedroom during the daylight hours. She may not feel safe enough to continue laying.

• Magical Thyme (2593 posts)
              Profile photo of Magical Thyme Donor

17. shortening her daylight hours may help stop the broodiness

Iirc, they need a minimum of some number of hours to start them laying. One solution to broodiness is to shorten their exposure to daylight/awake time by leaving them in the dark longer.

You can buy fake eggs for her to sit on…that can stop the cycling as well.

• ITW2 (64 posts)
                Profile photo of ITW2

18. I'll stop by Agway tomorrow. They should carry fake eggs.

I’ll bring one of Frodo’s eggs with me to get the correct size.

Since I don’t cover her cage at night keeping out natural seasonal sunlight it gonna be difficult.

At this point, anything safe is worth a try.

19. if the eggs don't work,

I would try covering her cage at night, or putting her into a dark room at night.

FWIW, Domingo my sun conure was very broody. I would just let her sit on eggs until they dried out and broke into pieces. She lived to a healthy 20-21, which I believe is pretty average/normal for suns.

• ITW2 (64 posts)
                    Profile photo of ITW2

20. Frodo has been sitting on her real eggs continuously for 17 months.

She has the freedom to come out of her cage anytime as long as I’m at home.

When she was younger and lived in a larger cage I covered 3 1/2 sided of her cage so she could see me.

She came to live with me before she was fully weaned off formula. We have an incredible bond. Back in the day, when I traveled I took her everywhere with me. Sneaking a large bird into motels for a 1 night stay wasn’t easy. :rofl: I did check-in with her except for the few times when I was traveling over long stretches of road with motels that didn’t allow pets.

She has always lived in my bedroom. That isn’t going to change. The only thing I can do is hang curtains to block out light and close my bedroom door (which will upset the dog).

Even with all these things … living with animals is way more enjoyable than living with most humans.  :lol:

Thanks for sharing info about Domingo. That made me feel better.

• Totally Liberal Dem (1367 posts)
      Profile photo of Totally Liberal Dem Donor

3. Last evening, my Scottie, Maggie…

…had most of my Teriyaki steak and all of my ice cream!  She declined the salad and dry baked potato!

THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS HEPBURN!!!! 
      • ITW2 (64 posts)
        Profile photo of ITW2

10. Maggie has it made.

13. Tell me about it!

Today, in my Ninja cooking system, I am making her boneless, skinless chicken breasts with fresh carrots and spinach.  Me?  I am having store-bought soup for lunch!  It’s a tough job being a Mom Dog!  But……Mags is mega worth it!

• faultindicator (479 posts)
      Profile photo of faultindicator Donor

4. Never ice cream,

but six days a week I cook lunch for the shop’s dog, it is her lunch, not mine. She gets three eggs over easy in butter with hamburger, pepperoni, or chicken. I don’t eat eggs myself. It’s a riot watching her charge out of Fred’s house at one o’clock – she runs like a rhinoceros, snorting as she barrels around any motorcycle or parts in the way. Once in a while a smear of jelly on the plate makes for a very happy dog.

A malfunction causes an FI (fault indicator) to light up on the dash. It flashes in code saying what to fix. Simple and straight forward. Just like this place - causes and solutions without the bullshit.
      • ITW2 (64 posts)
        Profile photo of ITW2

12. She sounds like a happy dog even without the added jelly.

That’s cool.

14. I love it! n/t

• hippiechick (1175 posts)
      Profile photo of hippiechick Donor

5. Yesterday.

My dogs have always been my “dishwasher pre-rinse cycle”  – not just for ice cream, but pretty much everything.

• StupidRedhead (2020 posts)
        Profile photo of StupidRedhead Donor

16. Mine too. She can scrub a pot like no SOS pad can.

And she’s the only one in the house that’ll help me do the dishes.

• Abakan (2001 posts)
      Profile photo of Abakan Donor

8. Because birds are lactose intolerant I never have shared ice cream with them.

I have given them some cheese once in a while. I know it is not good for them

but a small amount every six months, I don’t think will hurt them.

I had to quit feeding cauliflower because birds don’t fart and can’t expel the gas it causes.

img_2126

Today the buck stops nowhere, no one takes the blame.

But evil is still evil, in anybody's name.  Don Henley

• Cleita (1689 posts)
      Profile photo of Cleita

11. Not ice cream but an occasional dab of whipped cream as a treat.

I don’t like to do it too often cuz I don’t think the sugar is good for them.

• StupidRedhead (2020 posts)
      Profile photo of StupidRedhead Donor

15. Last time I gave her ice cream she threw up

Appears my Hopey dopey doofus ghetto goat dog has a sensitive stomach. She’ll eat about anything though, especially grass.

21. I got my boys their own ice cream this past summer…

Jakey threw his up. Guess I should have stuck with hooman vanilla.

• Average Gazoo (306 posts)
      Profile photo of Average Gazoo

22. 3 hours ago, just a bit for each

but I love the way their eyes narrow when they take it off the spoon.