• War.

The ClintonDNC prefers war instead of quietly retiring with the 99%'s cash. Let's give 'em war, good and hard.

Jackpine Radical Cooking

Home Jackpine Radical Cooking

OMG – my new Instant Pot

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)
    Profile photo of dorkzilla Donor

OMG – my new Instant Pot

My mom has been pushing me to get one of these for a while now, and I resisted (I have a couple stove-top pressure cookers and I never use them) so one showed up in my mail 2 weeks ago.  It sat, unopened, on my dining room table until a few days ago, after I got curious enough to look at some youtube videos.  Suffice to say, I’m in love with this thing.

Last night I made short ribs, which I usually do in a dutch oven for about 4 hours, in 40 minutes.  Meat falling off the bone. 40 frickin’ minutes. And it’s not just a pressure cooker – it has a slow cooker feature, a keep warm feature, you can program it so that you wake up to a nice hot breakfast. Or come home to a wonderful dinner.  One of the things that it purports to do well is bone broth, which is one of my freezer staples, so I’m keen to do that as well.

And apart from that, the simple stuff that I would never consider doing in a pressure cooker were astonishing…perfect hard boiled eggs in 6 minutes and I peeled them with my thumb. Perfectly cooked jasmine rice in 6 minutes.  Steel cut oatmeal (usually takes about 40 minutes) 3 minutes.  The practical applications of this thing are so varied that I think I’m going to buy one for the restaurant.

Does anyone else have one of these?  If so, please tell me what your favorite thing to make is!!!

ETA – great youtube “beginning” video and this you tuber has the best videos, I think –

Manny Goldstein, morningglory, shanti and 12 othersSherman A1, ThouArtThat, Jan Boehmermann, Haikugal, Enthusiast, NVBirdlady, Sunflower, Sadie, closeupready, ElfinWilde, Abelenkpe, OzoneTom like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
62 replies
  • 2 months ago #13
  • 1 month ago #47
    • LiberalArkie (3518 posts)
      Profile photo of LiberalArkie Donor

1. What is this cooking thing of which you speak?

• astral66 (2 posts)
        Profile photo of astral66

2. One of these maybe?

Love the reviews on this site:

http://thesweethome.com/blog/so-you-got-an-instant-pot-on-prime-day-now-what/

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

21. That's a great link!

It’s an incredible piece of machinery.

Welcome to JPR!!!!

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

20. Sorry , LA, I'm just seeing all these responses!

This is the one – https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Multi-Functional-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1482976930&sr=1-1&keywords=instant+pot

Just google “instant pot” and you’ll see all the wonders of the machine that has changed my life!

• LiberalArkie (3518 posts)
          Profile photo of LiberalArkie Donor

22. So this will make my peanut butter & jelly sandwich better?

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

23. LOL The BEST PB&J you've EVER had!

In half the time!

• Cassiopeia (1307 posts)
      Profile photo of Cassiopeia

3. Omg tell me what it is!

What is this magical device you speak of?

• Sadie (2985 posts)
      Profile photo of Sadie Donor

4. I am convinced! I am buying one

I love meals that cook while I play.  

Wake up, peeps, their kids go to Harvard and Yale; your kids go to Iraq & Afghanistan.   
    • closeupready (430 posts)
      Profile photo of closeupready Donor

5. I've had mine now for about a year, and like you,

I love it – I use it every week, and sometimes every day.

You can cook almost anything in it, but of all things, I like MOST cooking pasta (DeCecco corkscrews) in tomato sauce (Rao’s).

But there’s a trick to it, because the tomato WILL scorch on the bottom of the inner pot.

SO, here’s how I have improvised to fix that issue:

Using the steel grille (which is provided by the manufacturer with each Instant Pot), I put about two cups of water in the bottom of the pot.  Then, I place a steel mixing bowl on top of the grille.  I then pour half bottle of tomato sauce (which is about 12 oz.) mixed 1:1 with water, and finally add dry pasta (about 1/3 of a box of DeCecco) and mix well.  I close the lid, seal, and cook on Manual high pressure for about 25 minutes.  It takes longer than you might think for a couple reasons – the steel bowl needs to be heated before it conducts heat to the pasta mixture, and there is no contact between the pasta mixture and the inner pot.

But it turns absolutely perfect for me.  :)

Curried eggplant is a close second place, though.

The opinions and views expressed herein are solely those of the author.
    • djean111 (2715 posts)
      Profile photo of djean111 Donor

6. What brand is it? Model?

You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.
      • dorkzilla (2209 posts)

15. Sorry I took so long to respond…

but it’s this one – https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Multi-Functional-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1482976930&sr=1-1&keywords=instant+pot

• Abakan (2150 posts)
      Profile photo of Abakan Donor

7. We require more information, Dorky.

Photos would be helpful or even a brand might help. I have a microwave

pressure cooker I use to cook the birds food. I’m sure it not the same.

On Edit: Oh Duh! It’s called an instant pot. Just ordered one from Amazon.

Thanks

May your holidays be as wonderful as you are.

I have much to say, so I talk to birds. They are truly the only ones who listen.  
      • dorkzilla (2209 posts)

16. I got the 7 in one medium

Sorry Abakan, I didn’t even know anyone had responded till you called me to the thread.

It RAWKS, doesn’t it?

• Melissa (54 posts)
      Profile photo of Melissa Donor

8. My brother has one and LOVES it.

He keeps pushing me to get one.

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

17. DOOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEET

Time saver, honestly. I really think it’s an essential.

• Jan Boehmermann (2084 posts)
      Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

9. I'm gonna get one too. What size would you recommend?

They come in three different sizes but the medium is the least expensive on Amazon.

• Abakan (2150 posts)

10. Since it's only me…

I went for the medium, thinking the small too small for a good pot roast.

If I had people to cook for I’d go for the big one. It’s all a  matter of which

size fits your need. I think I’m going to love it!

I have much to say, so I talk to birds. They are truly the only ones who listen.  

11. I got the medium too. Perfect!

I just got mine today and I’m having a lot of fun trying out different things.

I can see why everybody likes these.

• Abakan (2150 posts)

12. me too!

mine is cooking bird food currently. I may not need anything else for a while.

@dorkzilla we love our instant pots

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

19. YAY!!!

Thanks for calling me to the thread!

xoxo

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

18. Sorry Jan, I suck

Didn’t realize anyone had responded till about 5 minutes ago, but it looks like you got one! They’re AWESOME, aren’t they? Seriously My hubby is still talking about how delicious the short ribs were. And actually now I think of it, they weren’t even short ribs they were beef back ribs…even cheaper.  Absolutely scrummy.

25. I'm glad you started this thread.

I’m lovin’ this thing!

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

27. It doesn't suck, does it?

I wish I’d had it on Thanksgiving – it would have saved a LOT of work.

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

13. Guys I'm sorry

I never got ANY alerts that this was replied to, and point of fact I felt unloved till abakan called me to the thread.

This is the one I got.  https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Multi-Functional-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1482976930&sr=1-1&keywords=instant+pot

I’m so sorry I didn’t see these responses.  I’m so happy that those of you who succumbed to my pitch love it as much as I do.

I mean, I LOVE this thing. Love love love it.

• Bjorn Against (182 posts)
      Profile photo of Bjorn Against

28. This post inspired me to buy one of these…

And I am glad I did.  I just got it last night and have made two things so far, first I made potato soup from scratch and it was delicious and much easier and quicker to make than it would have been on a stove.

I also made homemade applesauce which was extremely easy to make, just put apple slices a cup of water and some cinnamon in the pot for ten minutes and threw it all in the blender when it was done cooking.  I will never buy store bought applesauce again when it is this easy to make from scratch.

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

29. It's really a GREAT tool

I was impressed by the simplicity of just doing hard boiled eggs! You’d think “why bother, it’s easy enough on the stove” but it’s different…I now have deviled eggs overload in the house LOL.

30. Black bean soup in instant pot (can be used in standard pressure cooker too)

1 1/2 cups dry black beans (soaked overnight)

1 tbsp. olive oil

1 medium yellow onion chopped

3 cloves minced garlic

1 tbsp. ground cumin

1 can La Costena medium chipotle sauce ( 7.76 oz.)

28 oz. chicken broth (2 x 14oz cans)

1 large bay leaf

2 tsp dry oregano leaves or 2 tbsps fresh

Serve with sour cream and cilantro

On Saute – saute the onions, garlic and cumin.  Stir in can of chipotle sauce, chicken broth, beans, oregano and bay leaf.

When components combined, hit soup and set timer for 7 min. use natural release.

I use way less liquid that the 64 oz. than the instant pot recipe book calls for.  I swish out the chipotle sauce can with water and add to the pot, but I don’t like it as thin and soupy as they have in the recipe book.

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

31. I'm in soup mode myself

I’m making bone broth as the foundation right now. Last night I did defrost some of my stovetop-made chicken broth (for potato leek soup) but that was more to make freezer room for the gallons of broth I’m undertaking to make this week.

I’m putting this recipe on the soup o’rama for this week.

I agree about thicker soup…the chunkier the better. I like pasta e fagioli especially for that reason. And really thick beef & barley soup.

Now I’m hungry…time for some instant pot oatmeal 😀

• Sherman A1 (633 posts)
      Profile photo of Sherman A1 Donor

32. Thanks for posting about this

it looks interesting and I think I will have to get one.

"Be Kind; Everyone You Meet is Fighting a Great Battle." Philo of Alexandria
      • dorkzilla (2209 posts)

33. It's a really really useful tool

To the extent that I now find it absolutely essential and I’m wondering why I resisted getting one for so long.

• Sherman A1 (633 posts)

34. Ours arrived late yesterday

Now we will just have to give it a whirl! Mrs. Sherman A1 has been looking online for recipes and ideas.  Looking forward to what this new kitchen goodie can bring to our table.

Thanks for the thread and the ideas!

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

35. That's great! BTW, this is a good primer

She’s got a few good videos for newbies – but forewarned…once you start playing with this thing it’s absolutely addictive!

• Sherman A1 (633 posts)

36. Super!

Thanks so much for the primer video, much appreciated!  We have run the initial test and all seems good, so far. We will check out the other videos shortly.

• shanti (293 posts)
      Profile photo of shanti Donor

37. @arikara sold me on one a few weeks back

http://jackpineradicals.com/groups/jackpine-radical-cooking/forum/topic/my-wonderful-amazing-new-instant-pot/

i’d originally ordered one right before xmas from walmart (i know, i know, but they were the least expensive). it had a tracking number which showed that it arrived at the local store for me to pick up, BUT sadly, it never arrived. i think it was pinched off the truck as soon as it got to the store, but anyway….they did refund my money promptly. ended up buying another one off of eBay, and just got it last week. i haven’t used it yet, but will shortly. i liked your idea about hardboiled eggs in it, because i eat one for breakfast every morning and cook them 8 at a time.

fun times!

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

38. Wow I totally missed this one!

Sorry @arikara! Great minds etc!

Wow, such a hassle just getting your Instant Pot! Glad you have it now. I’m sure you’re going to love it!

I know the hardboiled egg mania sounds silly but just wait till you do it. I’ve tried all the methods I’ve found but again, gotta give props to Indigo Nili–her method is the easiest and it doesn’t cause the grey-green ring around the yolk. I just started back on my low-carb diet this morning and hard boiled eggs are a lifesaver.

• arikara (857 posts)
        Profile photo of arikara Donor

39. I just made potato salad

cooked the potatoes and eggs in the same pot and it took 4 minutes! I didn’t even start it until 4 and we were still able to eat it chilled by 5:30.

I’m glad you finally got your pot shanti.

• morningglory (18 posts)
      Profile photo of morningglory

43. Is there anything dangerous about it such as the case with a pressure cooker?

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

44. Not at all.

There is a pressure release valve that you can let out or just let it release itself over time.  I too had a fear of pressure cookers but I assure you there is nothing to fear here. The ONLY thing you have to be careful of is that your arm or hand isn’t atop the steam when you release the valve (you’ll get burned) and you shouldn’t let it release under painted kitchen cabinets because it may steam the paint off.

Check out this video:

45. I use a dish towel over the steam vent when releasing pressure……….

This keeps the steam from blasting anything immediately above it and prevents the occasional splattering that can sometimes happen.

I’ve only had the splattering once.  It’s not dangerous, but made a small mess.   (Pot overfilled?)

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

46. I just push it to vent with my bare finger and move my hand back quickly

I used a wooden spoon handle in the beginning but i saw that it doesn’t release THAT quickly so I thought I’d be okay. Works fine.

I made 13 bean soup tonight :)

55. The IP works delicious miracles with dried beans!

No more canned beans for me.

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

56. YES!

Making a cassoulet this weekend!

57. I had to do a search to find out what a cassulet was…..

Looks delicious!

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

58. It's yummy

I do mine with chicken sausage instead of pork but it is super delish and filling too.

ETA – http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/how-to-make-cassoulet-chicken-food-lab-french-casserole.html

• Manny Goldstein (1480 posts)
      Profile photo of Manny Goldstein Admin

47. I have one

Love it. Soup, stews, whole chicken, all kinds of yummy stuff.

I get mirepoix all diced up at Trader Joe’s, saute in the Instant Pot, throw in whatever’s a few days old in the fridge, a bag of frozen kale, pearl barley, chicken stock, and maybe some sliced-up turkey linguica… herps as appropriate… ten minutes of futzing, then 20 min later we have soup for the week.

Only disappointments were rice, and steel-cut oats take me 20 min, not 3… there must be actual steel in mine.

Mazel tov!

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

48. Really?

On the rice and oatmeal did you do a quick release or natural? Maybe that makes the difference?

I made lemon garlic chicken the other day…I’m still dreaming of it. I lurve this thing.

49. Don't recall on the rice

tried both on the oatmeal.

• dorkzilla (2209 posts)

50. That's odd.

For oats–I’ve done it a few different ways but I like to do 5 minutes, manual, high pressure, then I jump in the shower. If you do a natural release as long as there are 10 minutes on the “done” countdown you can release it and eat it right away. Always comes out perfectly.

The rice…there are so many variables (Jasmine rice 4-6 minutes but Brown rice takes like 20-30) I just went with the easiest.

51. We have a rice cooker

gets it right every time, those crafty Japanese.

• arikara (857 posts)

53. One of my new favorites is the coconut rice

3 minutes on high then natural release for 10 minutes. Its pretty well all vented out by then.

http://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-thai-triple-coconut-rice/

I don’t use all that sugar, and last night put in coconut oil instead of the cream but it came out delicious. The Mr even liked it and if anyone remembers those old Life cereal commercials he’s Mikey.

54. That sounds amazing

Will try it!

59. Made it.

Substituted Basmati rice for Jasmin.

Yum!

Easy!

Thanks!

• arikara (857 posts)

61. The Mongolian beef is supposed to be good too

I bet they would go together. But going to make cream of broccoli soup tomorrow.

60. Made it!

Substituted Basmati rice for Jasmin.

Yum!

Easy!

Thanks!

62. I'm developing tactics for "very small" portions in my I-Pot

Had extra meatballs and sauce……  had only “thin spaghetti”.  Cracked a small portion of thin spaghetti in the I-Pot covered with water…. Manual 3 minutes w/ quick release.

I know that cooking thin spaghetti in the I-Pot is not recommended.  But if you keep pressure time short with quick release, it turns out nicely.