JPR Sports

Home JPR Sports

4 college teams remain undefeated at 9-0

• Snort McDork (1555 posts)
    Profile photo of Snort McDork Donor

4 college teams remain undefeated at 9-0

AL. Clemson, Mich, Washington.

These 4 should stay the same this week and go to playoffs.

With Ohio St. out of the picture (glad they are) I’m going with Clemson to finish at number 1 spot and win National Championship.

Yes Al has been there, but they are prone to goofs and bad coaching decisions. And Mich. has the ability too, but Clemson is more hungry for all the marbles. I don’t don’t see Mich. with enough juice to win in playoffs.

Clemson is solid, and as much as I would like to see Washington (a Pac-12 team) in the big one, they need another year to gel. Deshaun Watson is Heisman material. 35 passing TD’s and 12 rushing TD’s make him strong if coverage is tight. He’s not a Marcus Mariota, but he can run. I think Watson is good enough to get Clemson the Natty.

Would be nice to see (Fuskies) get a Natty. But maybe they could surprise us. We will see after final week of games.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
12 replies
  • Scuba (2336 posts)
    Profile photo of Scuba Donor

1. Just curious, but how is Ohio State "out of the picture"?

Seems like “the big game” still awaits them.

• McLovin (158 posts)
      Profile photo of McLovin

2. I know, right?

They still have to play Michigan. OSU has the talent to beat Michigan if they bring their A-Game. Michigan has a much weaker overall schedule than OSU has. OSU will be the toughest team that Mich plays all year by a factor of 10X. OSU ha beaten a couple ranked teams this year.

If #6 OSU beats #3 Michigan, they’ll probably end up ranked in the top 4.

But maybe they only bump up to #5 after beating Michigan. OK, then. Beating Michigan pts OSU in the Big 10 championship game to beat Wisconsin (again) – and winning the Big 10 Championship would definitely 100% put them in the college playoffs.

BelieveLand
      • Scuba (2336 posts)

3. I'm a Badger (and B1G) fan so I have to note that ….

… Wisconsin has beaten three teams ranked in the top 10.

Considering how Wisconsin fared against Michigan (lost by 7, game was tied in 4th Qtr) and OSU (lost in OT) I just can’t see that OSU will be the toughest team Michigan plays by a factor of 10.    “The Big Game” should be a good contest, and no one should be surprised regardless of winner.

That said, the rankings put too much weight on being unbeaten.  Look at Nebraska.

In fact, the rankings, especially early, are crap.  Look at Michigan State.

Enjoy the games.

• McLovin (158 posts)
          Profile photo of McLovin

4. …AAANNND Ohio State back in the top 4.

And we’re probably going to see Michigan at #4 and Wisconsin at #7.

Wisconsin in particular (well all three Big 10 top teams, really) has a real playoff shot with OSU and Mich yet to play (one will likely drop below Wisconsin after a loss) and the winner there will play WIsconsin for the COnference title… the winner of that sure to grab a top 4 ranking. And with two ACC teams ahead of wisconsin, one of them will have to fall in their conference game too.

Exciting road to the playoffs. Crazy MLB postseason runs. Shocking Elections. November 2016 has been off the charts!

BelieveLand
          • Scuba (2336 posts)

5. It just gets funner and funner.

Plus now college hoops us underway.  Woo hoo.

• JonLP24 (161 posts)
        Profile photo of JonLP24

7. Michigan has the best pass defense in the NCAA

If you’re picking a matchup you don’t even pay attention to strength of schedule, I think the Sagarin ratings are fair because they are unbiased. They take into count strength of schedule wins and margin of victory caped due to running up the score.

Strength of schedule is a very overrate and penalizes teams who might be really good like Western Michigan. Also for the most part they Don t play each other. I seen the Sun Belt teams challenge SEC teams in their own building. Troy was in a close one in Clemson, if a ref called fumble at the goal line Troy would have got a 99 yard return because he had the ball down field when they ref blew the whistle. This is what happened when they did play somebody but basically get little credit winning in a mid major. The Sun Belt is probably better than all the conferences except for Mountain West and of course the American which is tougher than people think.

Conference USA is probably the worst, it used to be the Sun Belt, Troy was like their first good tea.

• pretzel30 (18 posts)
        Profile photo of pretzel30

8. What's even weirder is that

Penn State wins out and Ohio State beats Michigan,

Penn State wins the B1G east and will play Wisconsin in the title game,

And OSU would be in the national champship bracket

• McLovin (158 posts)
          Profile photo of McLovin

9. Been a crazy november, indeed! n/t

BelieveLand
          • pretzel30 (18 posts)

10. and we're only half way through n/t

• JonLP24 (161 posts)
    Profile photo of JonLP24

6. Washington and Michigan lead the nation

In defensive yards per pass attempt which is a key stat in college football. Ohio State won it when they had the best out of the 4 teams and correctly called the “surprise”, Alabama lead it with an incredible 4.2 in 2012. USC had some great defenses they lead the nation in 2006, Florida got in over them. USC had another one when they won the AP Championship during the BCS era.

• McLovin (158 posts)
    Profile photo of McLovin

11. I predict SEC, AAC, BigTen and maybe a PAC-12 team in the playoff.

1. ‘Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. OSU or Michigan (I think OSU)
    4. Washington or Wisconsin or Penn State (I think Wisconsin)

I don’t think anything is going to stop Alabama and Clemson from winning their conferences. They’re in.

And then there’s OSU and Michigan… they play each other and only one will remain at #2, the other will end up dropping to 7 or 8. Even though the winning team won’t likely play in the Big Ten conference title, there’s no reason to expect to be knocked out of the top 4 without another loss. However, Clemson will likely drop them to #3 when Clemson gets a boost from winning the AAC.

Washington, if they can hold onto the PAC-12 title shot, should stay ahead of Wisconsin or Penn State regardless of which wins the BigTen. But I think if Colorado grabs the PAC-12 title, they won’t climb high enough to outrank  Wisconsin or Penn State (whomever walks away with the Big Ten Title). Because Louisville won’t likely play in the AAC title, I think they fall below the BigTen and possibly Pac-12 Champions.

Now, if Clemson, Washington, Wisconsin, or Penn State loses again (BEFORE their conference title games) then it’s another week of chaos. In any of those situations, Louisville or maybe a Colorado probably sneaks into the #4 spot in those situations.

Ultimately, none of this matters because OSU is winning the whole damn thing…

BelieveLand
    • pretzel30 (18 posts)

12. Any further discussion of Louisville

is now moot after last nite’s loss.