The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

15 Years with My Pain Dr. and My Last Appointment Became My Final Appointment

• GreedKills (466 posts)
    Profile photo of GreedKills

15 Years with My Pain Dr. and My Last Appointment Became My Final Appointment

Editor’s Note: John Sandherr is a 58-year old man who lives near Pittsburgh, Pa. He has suffered from chronic pain for thirty years and has undergone 10 surgeries. . He is an arachnoiditis survivor and is an outspoken chronic pain advocate. He credits his wife Deb for helping him survive the past thirty years. We’re glad he has added his voice to the National Pain Report.

On August 8th just over 2 months ago I went to my monthly visit to see my Pain doctor. It was like any other appointment that I’ve had for over 15 years. Every 28 days I would go in to get my pain medication and get a short but thorough exam from the Dr. or by his Physician Assistant. Each month was routine for me because of all the documentation that supports the severe pain I suffer with.
    There was nothing routine about my visit on that day – as soon as I walked in I was told by the receptionist, “Today is your last visit, I need you to sign this paper and you will be given your medical records. As of August 12th Dr. Frank will no longer treat pain patients, you need to find a doctor and fast.” I must have looked like I was hit by a truck and then a train because the girl said, “are you OK?” and I said, “NO, will you be giving me the name of a doctor that I can follow up with?” “NO” was all she said.

http://nationalpainreport.com/15-years-with-my-pain-dr-and-my-last-appointment-became-my-final-appointment-8831814.html

BTW arachnoiditis can be caused by epidural/spinal injections which are not FDA approved that most pain clinics push because they are big money makers.

VoiceOfReason, LiberalElite, Enthusiast and 15 othershistorylovr, Mom Cat, Lynetta, Mad to the Marrow, bbgrunt, Downwinder, Babel 17, djean111, Magical Thyme, Haikugal, Sadie, LiberalArkie, Alkene, KarenS, glitch like this
    We could of had people in the street celebrating a Sanders victory...........  #FreeJulian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Enthusiast (5935 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

1. That is very disturbing.

I cannot imagine this pain level. But I did experience an extremely bad back incident that was ultimately corrected through surgery.

I have been on heavy doses of opiate drugs. And they were absolutely necessary! This was after a very bad auto crash. My surgeon did take me off the pain drugs prematurely. He wasn’t aware of my infection.

I currently take zero opiate drugs. I haven’t taken opiate drugs since my hip replacement surgery years ago. But I know the day will come when they will again become necessary.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
    • GreedKills (466 posts)

2. I stopped taking opioids

almost three years ago sensing that this witch hunt on chronic pain patients will not end well. I did not want to be forced to stop and wanted to do it on my own. Even with medical MJ I’m housebound and basically useless now. I would go back on them but I fear that either I will be denied or I will be forced to stop once again. IMO health insurance companies are more than happy having chronic pain sufferers off their rolls and either paying for medical MJ out of pocket or heading out on the streets taking their chances with bogus pills or heroin.

We could of had people in the street celebrating a Sanders victory...........  #FreeJulian
      • 99thMonkey (2395 posts)
        Profile photo of 99thMonkey

3. That is the ugly irony .. it forces people onto streets to get drugs illegally

and unsafely .. witch hunt is right .. meet the new ‘war on drugs” ugh.

• GreedKills (466 posts)

4. IMO If they really want to help those who suffer

addiction and those who suffer from chronic pain we would have single payer plain and simple.

• Akallabeth (2234 posts)
    Profile photo of Akallabeth

5. Please forgive me if this seems inapproriate but with the caveat that I am not a

doctor nor have I ever played one on TV, here are the things that I think might help..

1.) Many people have joint and back pain and arthritis.. Its not well known but resveratrol can dramatically help some kinds of injuries and pain. Its been written up in a number of cutting edge medical journals. The reason its not better known is financial..

In order to get the improvement from it you need to take it “bucally” which means you need to let it absorb into your cheek, and also it doesnt work overnight it may take a month or two of taking it regularly.  It also helps a bunch of other issues.. If you have a doctor make sure you tell them you are doing this, because IT MAY HAVE SOME ISSUES WITH MEDICATIONS- I dont know and not being a doctor even if I had some ideas I would be afraid to speculate..

My Swedish friend who has to be one of the most skeptical people in the world – he had constant back pain caused by wearing a wallet for years on one side until suddenly his back gave out- anyway he has had major improvement from using RESV.

He did not think my suggestion would help.. but he was in agony, and it was easy to try out, so he tried it.. and it did..

Me too, my lower back problems went away and only seem to come back when I forget to take it..

Its helped my eyes too.. (dramatic improvement in a common eye problem I have, also has been written up in medical journals, my eye doctor now tells his patients about me and they have had similar results.. it really helps a lot, also the society for this issue now tells patients about it. So its real.)

and my GI issues.. totally gone.

The other thing that may help people with chronic pain is DLPA.  Actually, the pain relief is caused by just the D-phenylalanine.  DLPA is an racemic amino acid. Unlike the more common “L-PA” (l-phenylalanine) DLPA is both the L and D forms in a 50-50 mixture

So the L-part acts as food, (its an essential amino acid) and the D-form has analgesic activity but its not from being a drug. What it does is your body makes natural pain relievers called enkephalins. DLPA inhibits enkephalinase which removes them from your bloodstream. So it potentates your body’s natural response to pain and that helps people feel less of it naturally.

Hope that helps!

"Out of many, one"