• password reset

If you can't login and are having problems with the password reset http://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/if-you-are-having-problems-changing-your-password/

JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

An introduction to The Voice of Poverty and Disability

• davidthegnome (751 posts)
    Profile photo of davidthegnome Donor

An introduction to The Voice of Poverty and Disability

So, as this group is just starting out, I wanted to give an idea of our general purpose. Put simply, it is to help people. It is to share ideas, thoughts, feelings – and more, if we can, to help each other survive and perhaps ultimately thrive in the struggle with poverty and/or disability. We are the class so frequently ignored by politicians, so frequently made into scape goats by fellow Americans, so frequently forgotten about altogether.

We can, perhaps, as well, increase awareness about our plight (even if only a little – we will have accomplished something) and share ideas on how we can survive in spite of it. I would really, really appreciate it if any legal experts (or those familiar with disability and other processes) who come across this would be willing to join up and offer their advice, as for a lot of us, applying for aid isn’t something we’re at all familiar with.

In this introduction here, I also want to thank the great JPR member (and group moderator) Dragonfli, who came up with the idea for this group – as well as the administrators and everyone else who made it possible.

Also… I know that people aren’t cookie cutters, we’ll occasionally have disagreements and perhaps even, at times, passionate ones. I would respectfully request though, that we follow one simple rule here: treat others as we would like to be treated. Should anyone post here looking for perspective, for help, just to commiserate or received a few kind words… that’s what we’re here for. We’re here to lift people up and help them feel better, not to make it worse.

Compassion is a big deal – and I know from experience that we have a really great group of deeply compassionate, wonderful people here at JPR. Let’s let that shrine through and make this group something that reflects on that. On our will to help each other survive – and to make the world a better place, for all of us.

For anyone curious about who I am, here’s a somewhat in depth summary of my (personal) current circumstances: http://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/i-am-beaten/

All are welcome and encouraged to share their stories here – and I ask that we all read without cruel or harsh judgment of those who do so, but with an open mind and a compassionate heart.

Should we ever accomplish real reform… true change, true social and political evolution – it will in my… not so humble opinion, come from the bottom up. Some of us have a long way to climb, some longer than others… but with compassion and faith (for and in ourselves and each other) perhaps we can make it up the hill.

In any event, be very welcome here.  I’m proud to be able to play any part at all in representing us.

hopemountain, grouchomarxist, Doremus Jessup and 10 othersMrMickeysMom, EmmaG, polly7, cleverflamingo, frylock, Enthusiast, Dragonfli, daleanime, Demeter, djean111 like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Dragonfli (618 posts)
    Profile photo of Dragonfli Donor

1. Very well stated! You have captured so well what we are here to do,

I have nothing to add!

“We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.” Thurgood Marshall    

• Enthusiast (4857 posts)
      Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

2. I agree. Well done, David!

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
  • MrMickeysMom (847 posts)
    Profile photo of MrMickeysMom Donor

3. Checking…

I believe this group will  make me a better person because it’s not about me.

Thanks for the formation of this group!

Hell no...I'm not giving up...     cat-gif-238.gif giphy.gif
  • LiberalArkie (3360 posts)
    Profile photo of LiberalArkie Donor

4. The one thing that has helped me though life is very simple.

I have made decent income at various points in life and have been homeless twice in my life. In my 30’s I decided that I was poor and there really wasn’t anything I could do about it. So I decided to just accept it and live like it. That meant not buying a new car, getting a used one. Not buying Polo clothes but instead Wal-mart.

Not having to keep with appearances made a lot of difference. I was even happier. When someone would ask me to go to a movie or a nice restaurant I would just reply that I was sorry, I just can’t fit it into the budget.

But when the crash came in 2008 and just about everyone at work was having a hard time and some lot their houses, I still had my little 600 sq ft home that I had built myself out of cash from work.

But if you can accept the situation, then there are ways to handle it. And to be able to handle life is about the best we can hope for.