The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Anchorage’s first summer homeless count in years suggests that fewer are on the

• Arctic Dave (880 posts)
    Profile photo of Arctic Dave

Anchorage’s first summer homeless count in years suggests that fewer are on the

At dawn Wednesday, near the start of Anchorage’s first summer homeless count in years, two staffers from Covenant House drove around looking for teenagers who had spent the night outside.

They checked the Northway Mall, streets near downtown and the woods near Sullivan Arena. But no teens turned up, and only a few adults.

The early-morning city census was aimed at building off a federally required count in January. At that time, the city counted 200 homeless adults and children and also began to rank adults based on their vulnerability. City homeless coordinator Nancy Burke said she organized the summer count to bolster winter statistics on the assumption that more people camp outside in summer.

On Wednesday, volunteers found fewer homeless people on street corners and in camps than expected, Burke said. She said the focus of the search was shifting to the downtown shelters, where service providers have reported overflowing numbers amid a city crackdown on camps.

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2016/08/31/anchorages-first-summer-homeless-count-in-years-suggests-that-fewer-are-on-the-street/

Reading the comments section is disgusting. We are over run with repug trolls.

AnneD, Enthusiast, Dragonfli and 2 othersDoremus Jessup, roguevalley like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
10 replies
  • Doremus Jessup (1977 posts)
    Profile photo of Doremus Jessup Donor

1. They don't realize that they will soon possibly be in the same boat.

I don’t remember all of the haters before the killing of the fairness doctrine and hate radio filling the airwaves. Maybe it’s always been there and I was to busy to notice. I stopped reading comments as they are to damn depressing. Probably a few posters with Koch brother money with multiple names. Kind of like the Brock trolls.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. End ALL occupations and bring the troops home.
    • Dragonfli (778 posts)
      Profile photo of Dragonfli Donor

2. Unfortunately, save for a few extra empathic souls I fear most

That live “comfortably” don’t care about, or even see the homeless and desperate people all around us, our culture has become an uncaring, lot that in many cases are blind or even cruel to anything and everyone below the much talked about “middle class”.

I don’t wish it even on the cruel and heartless that have become the common in our culture, but many soon shall have a rather different perspective when they join the invisible poor, the fastest growing demographic in America.

“We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.” Thurgood Marshall    

3. The comment section has a group

of about a dozen “people” whose goal is to make reading the comments unbearable.

I’m sure this is a planned exercise so they can get the comment section removed and limit people ways to communicate online.

• Doremus Jessup (1977 posts)
        Profile photo of Doremus Jessup Donor

4. It has worked on the PBS comment site. They claim it takes to much time to keep

an eye on the type of comments they get. In this matter, I actually believe something PBS claims. I watched the online local forum turn into an online tea party 6 plus years ago. It was an ugly site until they went to making people sign on via facebook. That put a name to the comments but also allowed the facebook data mining to be put into place. I don’t facebook or tweet. This is the only site I post on.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. End ALL occupations and bring the troops home.
        • FanBoy (6224 posts)
          Profile photo of FanBoy

6. making people sign on via spybook makes the comments section doesn't

make the comments more representative though

just more monitorable

• FanBoy (6224 posts)
        Profile photo of FanBoy

5. yes; one shouldn't take the comments section anywhere as representative of

anything.

only a fraction of the population spends much time pontificating online, and some of them are paid to do so.

• Enthusiast (5935 posts)
          Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

8. But someone with evil intentions paid them.

Some comments I have seen over the years are very racist.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
          • FanBoy (6224 posts)
            Profile photo of FanBoy

10. goes without saying.

• Enthusiast (5935 posts)
        Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

7. They are……………….

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church

9. Yep. And obvious too.

I have screen grab from a while back where they posted almost the same reply verbatim but under different names before both were deleted. I have yet to see either name again.