Experts: 'Trumpcare' places autism, disability coverage in jeopardy

• Jefferson23 (2309 posts)
    Profile photo of Jefferson23

Experts: 'Trumpcare' places autism, disability coverage in jeopardy

* More greatness on the way.

By Gillian Mohney
    PRIYA RAJA

Mar 9, 2017, 1:44 PM ET

Researchers from the University of Pennsylvania and Johns Hopkins University say that proposed changes to the health care system under President Trump could have a profound effect on people with disabilities, according to an editorial published yesterday in The New England Journal of Medicine.

Of particular concern is how a proposed restructuring of Medicaid could affect Americans with autism and the people who care for them.

Medicaid is the largest health care payer for patients being treated for autism and other developmental disorders and could face an overhaul under proposals currently being debated in Congress. In 2013, Medicaid served approximately 250,000 children with autism, according to the editorial, titled “Care for Autism and Other Disabilities — A Future in Jeopardy.” Since 2014 states have been able to opt into expanded Medicaid coverage, which has allowed people with incomes below 138 percent of the poverty line to enroll in the program.

Under the American Health Care Act, also dubbed “Trumpcare,” there would be major changes to Medicaid starting in 2020 that will move it away from an entitlement program that can receive open-ended federal funds to a block-grant fund where states would get a per-person amount of money.

“Medicaid is tremendously important in delivering care for those with disabilities,” said Colleen Barry, Ph.D, a co-author of the editorial and chair of the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “We sometimes think about Medicaid as primarily for low income women and children, but when you look at where the dollars go, they tend to go to individuals with disabilities.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/experts-trumpcare-places-autism-disability-coverage-jeopardy/story?id=45990210

liberal at heart, Enthusiast, Mom Cat and 1 othermmonk like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
8 replies
  • Mom Cat (6022 posts)
    Profile photo of Mom Cat Donor

1. Going after the disabled and minorities. Now where have I heard that before?

I do not think we are to Hitler’s level, but the parallels bother me.

NEVER FORGET      BERNIE WON!          

4. The most vulnerable among us, how pathetic is that.

• Enthusiast (5964 posts)
      Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

6. Trump also speaks of the effectiveness of torture.

Millions of people do not recognize how quickly they can become useless eaters.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
      • Mom Cat (6022 posts)
        Profile photo of Mom Cat Donor

8. I do realize it and am concerned for myself and all other people with

disabilities.

NEVER FORGET      BERNIE WON!          
  • mmonk (521 posts)
    Profile photo of mmonk

2. I have one son with autism and another with multiple disabilities.

i hate the Republican Party, the rich that run them, and the trash that vote for them.

3. I hear you, deeply so.

• mmonk (521 posts)
        Profile photo of mmonk

5. Thanks.

• Enthusiast (5964 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

7. This country is really fucked up.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church