JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Family Budget Calculator

• Dragonfli (681 posts)
    Profile photo of Dragonfli Donor

Family Budget Calculator

EPI’s Family Budget Calculator measures the income a family needs in order to attain a modest yet adequate standard of living. The budgets estimate community-specific costs for 10 family types (one or two adults with zero to four children) in 618 locations. Compared with the federal poverty line and Supplemental Poverty Measure, EPI’s family budgets provide a more accurate and complete measure of economic security in America.

Calculator

Haikugal, Ohio Barbarian, historylovr and 7 othersglinda, melurkyoulongtime, Enthusiast, KarenS, WillyT, polly7, TIME TO PANIC like this

“We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.” Thurgood Marshall    

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
9 replies
  • TIME TO PANIC (387 posts)
    Profile photo of TIME TO PANIC Donor

1. Working full-time, I make 33% of what I need, according to the EPI.

It fucking sucks living in a Right-to-Work state!

:grr:

"We Tortured Some Folks" - Barack Obama
  • TIME TO PANIC (387 posts)
    Profile photo of TIME TO PANIC Donor

2. If they raise the minimum wage to $15,

I’d still be $6,417 short of the standard, according to the EPI.

This is one person without any children, mind you.

"We Tortured Some Folks" - Barack Obama
  • Matariki (2246 posts)
    Profile photo of Matariki Admin

3. The only housing within that budget's allowance for two people

in my area is a “cozy basement micro studio unit” :eyes:

Offered by a company named “Karma Residential”. Don’t know if that’s meant to be ironic or just flaunting a complete lack of consequences for turning my city to shit.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/5670209507.html

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.
    • GuardianOne (702 posts)
      Profile photo of GuardianOne

4. How micro is micro

The place we lived in before we moved to Berkeley was so bad I think I survived in a fugue state all the years we lived there. Especially the last year. I’m claustrophobic. I have to have a partially clear shower curtain in the tub. Of course the wife decided to make it one with blindingly neon glo colored shasta daisies. I am a nice autumn colors, neutral colors kind of fellow. Nice, sedate, masculine. She wrecked my world. Grin.

Humor. Humor is how I get through a lot. Like our current apt management. They recently tried to keep the section 8 people from getting heap payments until the tenant council moved in. The tenant council has been battling them for years. Hillary Clinton would love my management. All new furniture and a fake fireplace in the lobby to lure victims in, but fix a tenant’s window screens? Mercy! So I have to get Berkeley housing in. Which means stress. Which with fibro means a whole crew of guys in your body using jackhammers to try and get out. Which means tylenol time. Which means I can’t sleep. Which means I get on here and post squirrel videos grin.

I’m in pain to some degree every day. So, humor. Often tears. My wife says Ed why are you moaning? Not moaning, dear! I then get grabbed and thrown into a hot bath. I swear all she’d need to do is throw carrots and onions in and I’d be soup. She usually brings me a combo of hot chocolate and espresso then calls me not so nice names. She’s nurse rachett from the cuckoo nest movie.

I have a tendency to work when I’m in the worse pain. So, I’m in agony but I decide now is a good time to do the laundry or the vacumning. What are you doing, Ed? Just this, I’ll go rest after. Half hour later the apt is sparkling but I’m in advanced rigor mortis. My corpse gets thrown in the tub again. Divorce. Throwing me out on pavement. I get lectures. But I get nutured, so it works out. Grin.

We have a therapist who does phone sessions but we’ll lose her when we turn 65. I told wife we work out most of our crisis ourselves anyway. And sometimes from the fibro my body twitches, spasms, burns, and I’m exhausted so I text the shrink skip the session. What do I get? Ok, feel better!

Feel better? Moron, this is NOT a cold. It has no cure. I’m about to die, and I get feel better? What helps is you swallow down the tylenol and the theanine [more about theanine later] while plotting the most painful ways to kill the shrink. Drop a rabies laden porcupine in her office? Call the police and say she’s a known isis terrorist and I saw her hand knitting a bomb?

I also get You need more sleep.

Let’s see. I hurt so much I’m about to gnaw my own shoulder off, but you expect me to sleep. Uh huh. I see.

And I get Drink more water.

If I drink anymore water, I’ll develop gills. You drink it for me.

Non sickie People who mean well need to DIE. Grin.

I also have a tens unit, which David, you might try. It changes the message to the brain. In fibro, the nervous system doesn’t work right. Anything turns into pain. Sounds, light, the gentlest of touches. I sleep with a watch cap down over my eyes, and aromatherapy helps. I have days I can’t stand certain clothes, I have to wear loose, textural stuff, soft, warm stuff. I can’t stand cold at all. I’ll have pain. I wake up several times during the night or I don’t sleep at all. If I keep busy I keep pain away but then I become aware, I get exhausted, I crash, and when I awake, somebody drops a building on me. I tell my wife ty…le…nol..and she says speak up, don’t understand you. (My wife is pure evil) no, she knows I can’t stand to hear her cry for me she knows how much I suffer, and she has stuff too. So her teasing actually helps. Sometimes I just cry, and then I yell because I hate when I cry. Chuckle. She gets all gentle with me. I need it.

Afterwards she says I told you so, you overdid it and I’m yeah yeah yeah.

Plausible deniability grin.

More later. Its crash time.

• CountAllBernieVotes (69 posts)
    Profile photo of CountAllBernieVotes

5. $41,874

There are two of us, an old vet going blind and myself.  Income >$20K a year.

Wow, no wonder I’m worrying about money and/or losing the house constantly.

We receive little help except for the heating bill and the telephone.

How depressing!

• melurkyoulongtime (99 posts)
    Profile photo of melurkyoulongtime

6. $27,803 annually

For just me, and right now I make less that half that :(  The good news is I start a new job later this month though it’s still a tipped position so we’ll see…

Rage, RAGE against the dying of the light!  Do not go gently into that good night!

• grouchomarxist (143 posts)
    Profile photo of grouchomarxist

7. this assumes that you actually pay for any of these things

for those of us below that number, the state picks up the tab.  similarly you don’t pay taxes.

• glinda (1431 posts)
    Profile photo of glinda Donor

8. Rural calculation is way low. We are taken advantage of

and we spend nearly 3x what they say we do or need to do. Yikes.

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb
  • Ohio Barbarian (879 posts)
    Profile photo of Ohio Barbarian Donor

9. This is damned accurate.

We make about $400 less a month than what the calculator says we need to for our area, which is about the same amount we are behind monthly in various bills.  And $382 of it is a car payment that’s so damned high because I had zero credit when I bought the damned car out of sheer desperation!!!

Guillotines dance in my head.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."--Voltaire