JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

fire starters that are easy and last

• roguevalley (896 posts)
    Profile photo of roguevalley

fire starters that are easy and last

melt paraffin into shallow containers, small like paper cups with the top half trimmed off. Put a string preferably dipped in paraffin in with it. Then set a pine cone on top. Keep with you as really long lasting, hot and easy fire starters. Poke holes in a coffee can for ventilation and put over them. You can cook meat and anything else on them, they get that hot. Dig a trench around them. Always, safety first. Thanks.

Enthusiast, historylovr, hopemountain and 1 otherArctic Dave like this
    Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder treason and plot! I know of no reason why the Gunpowder treason should ever be forgot! -V

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Arctic Dave (679 posts)
    Profile photo of Arctic Dave

1. I prefer to use

aluminum dust + iron powder + magnesium foil.

Mix aluminun and iron together(small amounts). Stick magnesium foil in center and light with an extended lighter.

Will start a fire even in wet conditions.

Warning: creates a rapid release of energy.

• hopemountain (605 posts)
    Profile photo of hopemountain

2. this will work great.

very cool for heating up water or a cup of soup – thank you.

i live in the pnw. we have lots of pine trees that drip sap and branches with long drapes of lichen that drop to the forest floor. i collect clumps of both and store them in coffee cans. eventually, i melt the resin and dip clumps of lichen, then set clumps on rocks to air. when they are dried or hardened, i store them in another coffee can and use them for firestarters for a wood fire.  they work very well as longer burning dry tinder.  appreciation to my survivalist nephew in alaska taught me this useful method.

"economic and environmental justice is spiritual work." ~ tom b. k. goldtooth .... #barackthebetrayer