• Site changes

Site will be down for an hour overnight (Mon/Tue) for an hour, some significant "behind the scenes" server changes happening. If all goes well, you'll see nothing different tomorrow except for faster speed and encrypted connections (HTTPS). Not sure of exact timing.

The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

fire starters that are easy and last

• roguevalley (1198 posts)
    Profile photo of roguevalley

fire starters that are easy and last

melt paraffin into shallow containers, small like paper cups with the top half trimmed off. Put a string preferably dipped in paraffin in with it. Then set a pine cone on top. Keep with you as really long lasting, hot and easy fire starters. Poke holes in a coffee can for ventilation and put over them. You can cook meat and anything else on them, they get that hot. Dig a trench around them. Always, safety first. Thanks.

Enthusiast, historylovr, hopemountain and 1 otherArctic Dave like this
    Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder treason and plot! I know of no reason why the Gunpowder treason should ever be forgot! -V

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Arctic Dave (880 posts)
    Profile photo of Arctic Dave

1. I prefer to use

aluminum dust + iron powder + magnesium foil.

Mix aluminun and iron together(small amounts). Stick magnesium foil in center and light with an extended lighter.

Will start a fire even in wet conditions.

Warning: creates a rapid release of energy.

• hopemountain (1160 posts)
    Profile photo of hopemountain Donor

2. this will work great.

very cool for heating up water or a cup of soup – thank you.

i live in the pnw. we have lots of pine trees that drip sap and branches with long drapes of lichen that drop to the forest floor. i collect clumps of both and store them in coffee cans. eventually, i melt the resin and dip clumps of lichen, then set clumps on rocks to air. when they are dried or hardened, i store them in another coffee can and use them for firestarters for a wood fire.  they work very well as longer burning dry tinder.  appreciation to my survivalist nephew in alaska taught me this useful method.

"economic and environmental justice is spiritual work." ~ tom b. k. goldtooth .... "Upon suffering beyond suffering: the Red Nation shall rise again and it shall be a blessing for a sick world; a world filled with broken promises, selfishness and separations; a world longing for light again. I see a time of Seven Generations when all the colors of mankind will gather under the Sacred Tree of Life and the whole Earth will become one circle again.  In that day, there will be those among the Lakota who will carry knowledge and understanding of unity among all living things, and the young white ones will come to those of my people and ask for this wisdom. I salute the light within your eyes where the whole Universe dwells. For when you are at that center within you and I am that place within me, we shall be as one."  ~ Crazy Horse ~ Oglala Lakota (circa 1840-1877). His words of prophecy to Sitting Bull while sharing a sacred pipe a few short days before his death.