JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

My loyalties lie with the afflicted, those that suffer all around us.

• Dragonfli (679 posts)
    Profile photo of Dragonfli Donor

My loyalties lie with the afflicted, those that suffer all around us.

From my perspective I joined thirty nine years ago, a party I believed in and so gave my loyalty, It was the party of The New Deal, The Great Society and at the time I joined also the party of civil liberty, equal rights and a war against poverty. I see that party in 2016 is nothing like the party I joined. The question of my loyalty now becomes murky. My loyalty now only belongs to my class and because Bernie Sanders is a remnant of the party I joined I still support him as he still shares this loyalty to my class, I must support him every way possible. He has decided to continue to work from within the Democratic caucus. That is his choice, but not the only choice.

So many in the Democratic party leadership and the party overall are comfortable and this place of comfort has made them cold to the reality that is daily life for a great many people.

They make many assumptions from ivory towers of middle class or wealth with little awareness it would seem of those that are lower middle class (quickly falling into poverty even though they work harder with multiple McJobs than they did before lower middle class meant poverty). Most Democrats including (especially) Hillary Clinton have helped shape this reality and are dead to me.

As to the poor – they seem completely oblivious to them and convince themselves that welfare reform didn’t harm anybody, I know Hill and Bill believe this, but it did and does to this day I assure you, it was not a pragmatic solution to a “welfare queen” problem handled well because a Democrat helped to all but destroy it. It will not be a brave pragmatic solution to “The sponges on society”, disabled and retired as they will likely label SS beneficiaries, when they collude yet again with republicans to begin to shred these last vestiges of the new deal and great society.

They cause the poor to become poorer still while so many in the party applaud the politicians responsible. Their applause and support are what make them just as responsible as their political idols.

They think this is a game, or a sport with my team and their team, not realizing or caring that the ball that is tossed around in this sport is a child that only gets to eat at school and will soon lose that food, or the ball is an elderly widow or widower that can only afford to take their medicine every other day or maybe will freeze to death in a small flat during a winter they could not pay their gas bill (this happens ALREADY where I live). Or a mentally or physically disabled person expected to somehow work 60 hours a week to survive, not caring that What’s expected of them is impossible.

There are many other balls tossed around for their sport and amusement, too many to list them all here, some are dead or dying, some are living under a tarp in a vacant lot hoping the cops don’t roust them or the suburban teenagers don’t decide to slum it and amuse themselves by assaulting them while laughing and taunting the “bum” for cell phone footage. Some of these comfortable people give advice to the poor, the disabled, the elderly “that in fact they do OK” as a famous DLC Democrat once said. One of the Conservative DU posters once even suggested dumpster diving as a viable and reasonable option. Some here may remember that even though it was quite some time ago.

Too many of them applaud policies and politicians that make all these problems worse, they need to get it through their heads, many are dying and more will die of poverty, this is no game and the poor aren’t doing OK, they are doing worse all the time with less help available all the time.

It is not serious, pragmatic, or brave to cause more people to suffer and die in poverty because it is referred to flippantly as “eating peas” or “being adult”. It is not pragmatic even when the ones shipping away the jobs or destroying welfare “feel your pain”. It never was bravery, but cowardice. It is not balanced when an increasing number of people fall into poverty and die while others become wealthier at an exponential rate.

The punditry, politicians, and comfortable may think it is a fun sport full of serious brave adults that make hard decisions.

Cowards all really, making easy decisions, easy because their decisions don’t harm them, but rather the poor they barely acknowledge exist for the profit of the wealthy.

Sometimes they even have the gall to pat themselves on the back and reassure each other “the poor in fact do OK”.

I feel very sincerely about these class and poverty issues, I give my loyalty completely to the forgotten, struggling and increasingly poor working classes that birthed me. You decide if that makes me disloyal to any party or any group that has all but forgotten us save for expected donations for Pyrrhic election victories, because I will fight tooth and nail against any one of them or any elected official, no matter the party, that is harmful to my class, in other words harmful to most of America.

For these reasons and others, my loyalties now lie only with Bernie Sanders (The goals he has sought for decades), politicians that share his views, and the revolution that is necessary if we are to fight and win against overwhelming odds, a fight I take on for my class, the very survival of countless people, and for a better future to leave behind for our younger generations.

It is not about parties anymore, for they have become false choices serving an elite at our expense, perhaps we can form a party that cares for us, perhaps not, but I know one thing. It is about individuals now, individuals in each and every slot in each and every election.

Are they on my side and those of my peers or not? That is how I shall vote. Parties are not people, nor are corporations. people are those being crushed beneath the heels of those that serve the elite that are killing us all softly, slowly, and efficiently; the poor grow in number every day, the disabled have less help every day. But one thing is certain, we are but canaries in a poison mine, first to fall, as shall most in the end – unless you help not only the forgotten, but yourselves in the process. Be forewarned that even the comfortable among you will soon be among us as the elite complete their vision, often with the help of the comfortable that often think we do not exist because we are invisible to most, until that is, they join our ranks as more do every day at an alarming rate.

*David is both the inspiration and the direction of this group, my goal is to help, this post is my contribution. He is tasked with writing a more detailed description of what it is we intend to do here, this is to let all know exactly where I stand and how important this group and our shared goals are to me personally. as I grow more sickly, more tired, and less able, I recognize the future when I see it. I know he will not let us down!

melurkyoulongtime, GuardianOne, heddafoil and 16 othersem77, CountAllBernieVotes, Zopilote, countryjake, polly7, cleverflamingo, historylovr, Autumn Colors, WillyT, Enthusiast, Downwinder, tk2kewl, davidthegnome, TIME TO PANIC, djean111, daleanime like this

“We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.” Thurgood Marshall    

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
14 replies
  • tk2kewl (1423 posts)
    Profile photo of tk2kewl Donor

1. .

• Enthusiast (5409 posts)
      Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

3. Plus One!

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
    • Dragonfli (679 posts)

8. I have always loved that song! You have given me a gift in that

I have never seen the early performance of it. Thank you for that!

“We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.” Thurgood Marshall    

2. Dragonfli, that was wonderful!

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
    • Dragonfli (679 posts)

5. Thank you!

So, what do you think of our disgruntled duo?

David is willing to raise hell with me about my life-long war against poverty and the disaffected in general, a fight he shares and a point of commonality between us (disabled ppl are getting really screwed of late), and that is just us raging against the broken machinery that enables such gross mistreatment of the people.

It is also our hope, due to our compassion and personal experience in the realm of the forgotten, that by providing the means and an area to enable it, we’ve created a group where some may seek some help, or at the very least find understanding or commiseration.

If we are lucky, ppl with some knowledge on how to help the afflicted, ignored, and impoverished can advise and possibly help some of us.

I am the past, David is younger and of the present if not the future. I am very proud of him, if nothing else they will damn well know we were here! That we go not quietly into that dark night, and will raise as much hell and awareness as possible.

My contributions tend to be more about decades of experience watching the politicians and watching the country change into a Reaganesque heaven, I do not approve, as is no secret to any that know me, but I believe there is hope! It will require a political Revolution, but by Goddess there is hope!

David I see as our future, he certainly possesses writing skill I consider exceptional, when I can no longer post (an inevitability ranging from 3 to maybe 10 years at best estimate) I know he will continue what I started, at least on our many points of combined interest. In fact, I am encouraging him to take the lead here, my job is merely to help him IMO

Anyway, thank you for appreciating my long winded self righteous rambling OP, it does my heart good.

7. Both of you have a great gift of communication. That is key.

• Autumn Colors (1494 posts)
    Profile photo of Autumn Colors Donor

4. I believe the future lies w/those who answered Bernie's call to run for office

And building on that concept, the goals of the “Brand New Congress” project.  I also feel that I can no longer trust a “D” candidate to represent my views anymore.  It seems to now mean “slightly less R” instead of an FDR “D”.

I’m paying attention to the words and actions of those who have worked most closely with Bernie and have stood with him throughout the campaign for signs as to where Bernie would have us focus our energy.

• Dragonfli (679 posts)

6. I tend to agree, but among those Berniecrats many will have a D

Look at the individuals, ignore the party (I personally think the party is in stage 4 and can no longer be saved, but some healthy cells may originate there and eventually leave the corpse as it dies). Also, Bernie is “the man” but do not be afraid to be your own leader as well, or work with other leaders that share his goals (I see from your Green Signature line you already get that).

Remember, it is in the end about us not him, he has always said that, take him at his word. He wants us to do it from the ground up, I trust him (as it appears do you) and he will help as he can, where he can, a bit further up the chain. Yet we are to work the roots while he does so.

At least, that is my takeaway.

• Autumn Colors (1494 posts)
        Profile photo of Autumn Colors Donor

9. I just became a Green the day Bernie endorsed HRC

I was a straight-ticket voting Democrat since I turned 18 in 1979.  Officially changing my party affiliation was a major act for me.  I know there’s #DemExit planned for the day after the convention, but I feel that the DNC needed a preview before the convention of what’s to come if they continue down this path.

I’m not sure the Green Party is the long-term answer, but if Bernie doesn’t get the Dem. nomination, then it’s the answer for this particular election, until some sort of new party arises from the revolution that Bernie launched (which really began with the WTO protests and Occupy Wall Street).  The G.P. isn’t on the ballot yet in my state, so the response I received from the Secy. of State lists me (for now) as “Unaffiliated (Green Party)”.

EDIT:  In addition to “individual, not party”, I would add judge them by their actions, not their words.  Campaign rhetoric means nothing.  That’s why getting things into the Dem. party platform isn’t impressing me much if HRC is the candidate.  She answers to the money people, not us.

• GuardianOne (702 posts)
    Profile photo of GuardianOne

10. David needs every last soul. He needs you.

I know what its like to be ill, we need you to hold on.

• Dragonfli (679 posts)

11. David grows stronger by the day, he needs no training wheels or help from me

You also mistakenly appear to believe I am in control of my circumstances, I am not.

If I had my druthers I would be helping as I always have, but facts as they are deny me the luxury. David will be fine, he has what he needs, perhaps my absence will only help him grow yet stronger. That is both my hope and belief.

I apologize to the few that actually bother to read me (you apparently being among them) if they feel I am letting any of you or David down. I am at an impasse, I may lose my connection before I even finish this post, or maybe at the end of the month, either way it is beyond my control.

I also grow weary, always in pain, always short of breath, always in need of basic essentials so many take for granted, perhaps it will be good for me as well. There is a perfection to the universe humanity has turned away from and decided to fight instead, but sometimes it inflicts us with what we need in ways that appear as things that are by appearances the opposite.

It has a rhythm, mapped out at least 4000 tears ago, it’s graphic representation I offer below.

It was the very first complex and high difficulty GIF I ever made,.

12. Please stay with us as long as you can. I wish I could

help out financially but I can’t. Sat, sun and monday I stayed in bed from pain and woke this morning in pain. Had to drag my corpse to the bathroom. I have some knowledge of what its like to despair. I don’t have to guess at it. Maybe someone in a better position than we are can help you with continuing your internet. It pretty much is my lifeline, for just about everything. We’re fighting mgr right now to fix our window screens. Lovely stress, which increases pain.

I’ve been there, I rarely am not there. I’ve almost longed to give up several times.

Ask for what you need, don’t isolate yourself, isolation is the enemy. Maybe someone on here can help you.

• Dragonfli (679 posts)

13. I don't wish to be helped in the way you suggest, the internet is my lifeline

I don’t even own a TV, but I will never be isolated and this too shall pass, I am used to many harsh realities and am able to handle such things. I will still have a good friend around, full of life and the love of it (including an overabundance of energy) that makes me smile from time to time. she is ever present, even though she has her own door and 24/7 access to her large yard to play in, when I need her she is next to me.

I also have the memories of a soul mate that feels ever present.

That was taken long ago, but she was still beautiful towards the end , an artist, an adventurous soul and full of love, life and fun. You can see the mischievous fun nature in this GIF she had me make for her as an avatar for one of her art forums just prior to her illnes that came a year later

14. Then how can we help?

I know people are busy watching the convention, but maybe someone has better ideas than I do. I hope so.