• War.

The ClintonDNC prefers war instead of quietly retiring with the 99%'s cash. Let's give 'em war, good and hard.

JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Our forgotten class

• CountAllBernieVotes (69 posts)
    Profile photo of CountAllBernieVotes

Our forgotten class

Indeed we are the forgotten class except for one thing, some of us are still around and still able to type.  My hands are getting worse with every day that passes but I still manage to type.  I used to be a 100 wpm speed typist in my day and this is so very depressing to me.

I worry constantly.  I often wonder is it possible to die out of worry?

I’ve had some serious issues recently and frankly I’m a basket case and the MS that I have (I NEVER refer to it as “my MS” as I refuse to state to anyone that I own this shit disease).

What will tRump do to the disabled and impoverished?  I know what the Clinton’s will do as they’ve done it in the past.  They are no friend of those that cannot no matter how much they wish that they could do and cannot do.

These are rotten SOBs we are dealing with and we cannot allow them to rule America!

TM99, Dont call me Shirley, polly7 and 14 othersGuardianOne, Enthusiast, Dragonfli, davidthegnome, melurkyoulongtime, GivingItToYouStraight, , NVBirdlady, historylovr, KarenS, Koko, daleanime, TIME TO PANIC, GoodWitch like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
6 replies
  • davidthegnome (780 posts)
    Profile photo of davidthegnome Donor

1. Forgotten, but not gone.

Some I think, would be happy to completely ignore our existence – and of course, some do.  Others still, see us as a drain on the system if we cannot perform the daily tasks of a specific job.  We are, I think, the most disregarded and most despised class in all of America.  Which is why it’s time to fight back, to start changing the narrative.  To demonstrate that all of our lives have value, that we are here – that we are here to stay – but more than that, that we can and do contribute to society in a great variety of ways.

Consumerism has little love and less respect for those of us who, it is said, “Cannot do for themselves”, yet the very idea of Nations, states, governments… is the idea that, together, we are greater and stronger than when alone.  That the combined power of all of our minds, hearts, bodies and souls is far greater than when we stand alone.  We are called the United States, but often the “United” part is seen and/or used as mockery.

I believe that those of us at the bottom can and ultimately will unite to make our lives, our Country, and our world… a great deal better.  Sanders unleashed quite a storm when he got us involved, when for the first time in a long time – a politician courted OUR vote.  The promise is always to the middle class, or to the wealthy, it is rarely to those of us who have little or no wealth.

Sorry, guess I got a bit carried away…

I know what it is to lose the use of at least one hand – almost a decade ago I was doing some low level carpentry work and managed to saw my thumb in half.  It took months after that before I could even use that hand reasonably well again.  I’m sorry, I know how much it sucks to start losing mobility.  Today it’s more my back that keeps me from performing certain tasks.

I don’t know whether or not we can worry ourselves to death.  Stress can be nasty and lead to different kinds of issues… personally though, I’ve had more panic attacks (that take worry to extreme levels) than I can count – and I’m still kicking, so there must be hope for all of us yet.

As for the rotten SOBs poised to rule America… whether they win their elections or not, we will be there to deny them total victory.  To remind everyone that we are here, that we have value, that compassion and empathy are much more valuable motivations and ambitions than money and power.  This political revolution belongs as much to us as to anyone – and our voices will be heard.

The best way to fight back, in my… not so humble opinion, is to never shut up and sit down.  Let’s speak up at every opportunity and demand that our voices be heard, that our needs be acknowledged.

• Dragonfli (701 posts)
    Profile photo of Dragonfli Donor

2. It has become so convenient for them to forget us

We are, rather than helped, as would be the case in any civilized country, scapegoated and seen as useless eaters to be eliminated by stalling tactics and program cuts! Harsh words, but having lived through “welfare reform” (watching women and children fall so quickly into deep poverty and despair in my poor neighborhood) and knowing I will likely die before disability is settled and I can at least spend my last years with some dignity rather than living in a house that I can not heat, can not pay full rent on (and will likely be evicted before any earned benefits start flowing because of that) and knowing damn well the system is set up purposefully to stall us until we give up or die. (It has been four years now since I first applied and I have waited 18 months and counting for the next judge to decide if I get a fair hearing)

I believe my words though harsh are true.

Do not trust Hillary as she would be among those willing to hasten our demise and has spent a career when not ignoring us completely actively attacking us and doing so proudly.

Do not trust the Neo-fascist bankruptcy king, for he will certainly do far more harm to us then good.

We are only forgotten as long as our silence is easily covered by lies, lack of coverage, attention diverted from us by establishment politicians. I do not think the silence can last much longer, our numbers are growing exponentially, we will soon be combined, all of us that are now forgotten are becoming the majority, and some of us are quite pissed off and growing louder by the day!

We will stop voting for those that ignore or harm us, a vacuum is growing so large in this country that the race is on to fill that vacuum with an alternative, if we refuse to play their game and vote for only those that recognize us and offer us help, we will win.

Fuck the lesser evil victim syndrome, it is killing us, the comfortable don’t yet understand but they are growing less financially comfortable all the time!

This will end in revolution, my most sincere hope is that the revolution is allowed to happen peacefully, because if not –

“We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.” Thurgood Marshall    

• Enthusiast (5504 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

3. Rotten SOBs they are.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
  • Dont call me Shirley (3107 posts)
    Profile photo of Don't call me Shirley

4. They make us sick and impoverished and then they laugh at us

in ridicule.

• CountAllBernieVotes (69 posts)
      Profile photo of CountAllBernieVotes

5. Thanks for your reply

People do not understand MS, myself included.  It is so variant in the ways it affects people and no two cases are ever alike.  While many of my symptoms are sensory (going blind a few times, constant pain, depression, insomnia, inability to walk for any length of time due to foot drop and even more pain … the list goes on and on btw).

These people that view us as parasites on the system are plain wrong!  To get anything out of the “system” one has had to work 10 years or become a welfare case.  Luckily, I’d worked for 20 years when diagnosed but what I receive from SSDI (Social Security Disability INSURANCE –if you don’t pay in long enough you get limited benefits or worse yet zero, forcing one into a life of poverty like it or not!) is an insulting pittance to attempt to live on.  I did not receive this right away either;  two denials and then when I went blind!  Social Security then overturned their decision in my case and I got the benefits I paid into and I receive a small $50 a mo. pension from my former employer.  I got screwed badly and I know it, but when you are too sick to fight the screwing, well you are just that, screwed!

They are a shameful lot and none of them shall receive my seemingly insignificant vote.

I am so tired of life as a disabled person.  There is no respect; only that constant jaundiced eyeball judging one’s every move for no good reason.  Shame on them, these rotten SOBs are effectively destroying the America I once knew!  They are a useless lot indeed that must be quite bored on top of it!

• Dont call me Shirley (3107 posts)
        Profile photo of Don't call me Shirley

6. Many people have zero clue about Lupus…

They think “oh you look healthy, you can do like everyone else does” never stopping for a moment to ask what it is like to live with the disease. To day after day feel fatigue that is debilitating, chronic low level soreness over the entire body, constant brain fog, organs failing at random, absolute difficulty to heal. The struggle to heal is a moment to moment chore taking up every second of life, time and energy.

Soical Security Administration knows in painstaking detail how we struggle every day. We have to write books about what it’s like to use the restroom or how many times a day we have sex, sometimes reach moments until death in order to receive a beggars pittance.

We are looked at with disdain by those who would rather not see us. They are the ones with the incurable disability for they have such fear of becoming ill that they will go to any lengths to see we are hidden and silent. Fear rules their lives, and that is a sadder sorrier way to live than we do.