The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Poverty in the United States

• Dragonfli (786 posts)
    Profile photo of Dragonfli Donor

Poverty in the United States

The official poverty measure is published by the United States Census Bureau and shows that:

• In 2014, there were 46.7 million people in poverty. This is up from 37.3 million in 2007. The number of poor people is near the largest number in the 52 years for which poverty statistics have been published (DeNavas-Walt 2015, p. 12—also see table there).
    • The 2014 poverty rate was 14.8 percent, down only slightly from the 2010 poverty rate of 15.1 percent and still up from 12.5 percent in 1997, although the recession has ended officially (DeNavas-Walt 2015, p. 12). (The poverty rate was at 22.4 percent in 1959, the first year for poverty estimates.)
    • The 2014 poverty rate for Blacks was 26.2 percent, for Hispanics 23.6 percent, for Asians 12 percent and for non-Hispanic whites 10.1 percent (DeNavas-Walt 2015, p. 12-4).
    • The poverty rate for children under 18 was 21.1 percent in 2014 and the number of children in poverty was 15.5 million. Children represented 23.3 percent of the total population and 33.3 percent of people in poverty (DeNavas-Walt 2015, p. 15).
    • 19.9 million Americans live in extreme poverty. This means their family’s cash income is less than half of the poverty line, or about $10,000 a year for a family of four. They represented 6.6 percent of all people and 44.6 percent of those in poverty(DeNavas-Walt 2015, p. 17).

An inadequate method of measure of poverty IMO – (see calculator pinned above which represents a living wage – poverty lies between the official measure and the living wage)  also, this is compiled from information gathered in 2014, things have grown worse since then.

Causes of hunger and poverty

There are, three main causes of poverty in the United States: poverty in the world; the operation of the political and economic system in the United States which has tended to keep people from poor families poor, and to a lesser extent, actual physical and behavioral issues among some people who are poor.

• Trade. It is important to understand some basic economics. We in the United States live in a rich country, that has a large amount of capital–machinery, etc.–to produce things relative to the amount of labor–people that want to work. Poor countries have a lot of labor, but relatively little capital. There is a basic idea of economics–the factor price equalization theorem–that states that wages in rich countries will tend to go down and increase in poor countries through trade (Wikipedia 2010b). Thus China, with low wages, puts pressure on wages in the United States, as production is shifted to China from the United States. This movement of production from richer to poorer countries is initiated by corporations, not individuals, but it does shift jobs and income to poorer countries and people, and has been doing so for the last 30 years or so. Lower income people in the United States are particularly vulnerable to such shifts.
    • Immigration. A clear strategy for poor people is to go where there are higher paying jobs (often opposed to the alternative of no jobs at all). Thus immigration has been a major response to poverty by people in poor countries. As should be expected, after all, given the same choices consider what you yourself would do.
    • The implication of trade and immigration for people in the United States who are subject to this competition is that jobs are scarce and there is great downward pressure on wages. Large numbers of jobs have been moved ‘off-shore.’

The operation of the US economic system The operation of the US economic and political system has led to certain people/groups being relatively disenfranchised.

The normal operation of the economic system will create a significant amount of poverty.

• First, in a free enterprise economy, there is competition for jobs, with jobs going to the most qualified. On the other hand, there is almost always a significant amount of unemployment, so that not everyone will get a job, with the major unemployment falling on the least qualified. It might be tempting to identify them as ‘unemployable’ but what is in fact happening is that the private enterprise system is not generating enough jobs to employ everyone.
    • Secondly, the top echelon of business has some power to allocate the profits of the enterprise, and certainly they have allocated these profits to themselves in recent years.

The operation of the US political system, The US political system, which should address the major problems of its citizens, is to a great extent not focused on fundamental concerns of poor people, but on other concerns.

• Military and security expenditure represent half of US federal government discretionary expenditures, much larger than expenditures to assist poor people, and this budgeting is assisted by a strong web of political and financial connections which has been termed the “military-industrial complex.”
    • Corporations and the rich, through their ability to lobby Congress and the Administration effectively by such means as spending large amounts of money on lobbying efforts and on political campaigns of elected officials have succeeded in establishing their priorities, including tax breaks and subsidies.
    • The Democratic party, which used to be a party of the ‘working class’ has now set its sights on the ‘middle class’ as the target base of voters it must appeal to.

The culture of inequality

• People are typically segregated by income and often race.
    • Jobs are low paid and scarce. This can lead to crime as a way of obtaining income, and also to unemployed men not willing to marry, which can play a significant role in developing a cultural model of single parent families.
    • The lack of income, as described in the poverty section above, creates problems, including poor housing, lack of food, health problems, and inability to address needs of one’s children.
    • As a result of their situation, some people living in poverty can themselves have patterns of behavior, such as alcoholism or a ‘life of crime,’ that are destructive to them
    mntleo2, grouchomarxist, Enthusiast and 6 othersmelurkyoulongtime, Shlabotnik, Doremus Jessup, Utopian Leftist, Zopilote, davidthegnome like this

“We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.” Thurgood Marshall    

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• davidthegnome (781 posts)
    Profile photo of davidthegnome Donor

1. This is where we must truly unite.

A solution to poverty – an acknowledgement of the suffering, the struggle.  What is being offered by political parties and the established system is simply not enough.  A massive effort is needed, if only for the basic necessities of life.  Food, shelter, clothing.  Then… medical care, education, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness…

Perhaps a world in which everyone is wealthy is impossible.  However… a world in which everyone can live with self respect, dignity… and actually survive, is all too possible.  It is damned heartbreaking to realize that it would take very little, in the grand scheme of things, to bring an end to poverty and hunger in our own Country.  Not only that… we ought to be leading the way, as the “Wealthiest of Nations”.  We CAN do this – and those who say that we cannot are absolutely wrong.  No, it won’t be easy, neither was landing on the moon.  Neither was defeating slavery.  Nor was surviving world wars.

The great issue of our time is climate change… however… in my not so humble opinion… the great issue of all time is poverty.  We can solve it.  We should.  We must.

• Utopian Leftist (124 posts)
    Profile photo of Utopian Leftist Donor

2. You are both SO right!

I read that, for the amount that the world spends on war in just eight days, we could end poverty, worldwide, forever.

In other words, if just for eight days every year, the entire world quit fighting, no one would ever have to do without, again!

Let that sink in.

It’s not that we lack the money or resources. We simply lack the will.

How fucking sad is that?

The beatdown Hillary was handed had nothing to do with Bernie Bros, Russia, a VRWC, Comey, the FBI, the media, sexism, racism or any other ism you can think of. It was a referendum on neoliberalism. It is your legacy, Obama. It’s Clinton fatigue born of endless scandals. It’s war and prison for profit. It’s criminality that dresses itself up like saintliness and looks down its nose at its victims. ~ farleftlib
  • Doremus Jessup (1981 posts)
    Profile photo of Doremus Jessup Donor

3. I think the poverty rate is much higher than advertised.

Just like the employment number or the COLA numbers, using the U-3 versus the U-6 models along with the much outdated birth/death model which takes no account for wealth disparity, I would imagine we are over the 1959 number by 8% plus if debt were to be factored in. Many are teaming up with friends and family or at times, friends of friends to help each other out. That’s not always a bad thing as there is both safety and someone to talk to as a benefit. I hope the local governments will allow for more small homes or “tiny homes” as they are called in places, to be put into small settlements or individually if that is what one seeks. People want to much and usually actually need things that are not on their wish list. Incomes have remained flat since 1973 while accounting for inflation and there seems to be no end in site. We must continue to put pressure on local government as that is where we can be most effective.

Nice post! I found myself without a place to lay my head more than once when I got out of school and had to leave home to try to find work. I doubt I was even counted on any statistic at the time. I was young and healthy at the time so I made it through those times okay and met new friends while we helped each other out. My first room mate got married and his wife moved in and we both got to save some money and eat a lot better. Her parents were not to happy about it but they didn’t see the benefit as the 3 of us did. When we finally got to move back home we did so with some money.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. End ALL occupations and bring the troops home.