• War.

The ClintonDNC prefers war instead of quietly retiring with the 99%'s cash. Let's give 'em war, good and hard.

JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home JPR The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Seems like purging chronic pain sufferers is the not the answer

• GreedKills (450 posts)
    Profile photo of GreedKills

Seems like purging chronic pain sufferers is the not the answer

Fentanyl & Heroin Changing U.S. Opioid Epidemic

A prominent Alabama physician says the U.S. opioid epidemic has changed so profoundly in the last 3 years that a serious reconsideration of government policy is needed.

Stefan Kertesz, MD, an associate professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, says heroin and illicit fentanyl are now the driving forces behind the opioid epidemic – not prescription pain medication.

“Reducing opioid prescribing is not going to save many lives at this point, even though it gives many officials a chance to look like they are doing something,” says Kertesz, who is also a primary care physician trained in internal medicine and addiction.

“If we have been reducing prescribing for several years, and the misuse of prescription pain relievers is near all-time lows… and overdoses are either staying very high or skyrocketing, then we need to change our assessment of the problem and refocus our response.”

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories/2016/11/19/fentanyl-heroin-changing-us-opioid-epidemic

VoiceOfReason, grouchomarxist, Enthusiast and 3 others99thMonkey, Grey, Downwinder like this
    We could of had people in the street celebrating a Sanders victory...........  #FreeJulian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
6 replies
  • 99thMonkey (2179 posts)
    Profile photo of 99thMonkey

1. I KNEW this was exactly the case. This hysteria about "opioid abuse" is BS

I’d been responsibly using Vicodin for 2-3 years to effectively manage chronic pain, without any significant issues or adverse side-effects, when I had to find a new GP because mine was moving out-of-state.  That’s when the hammer dropped, as my new GP informed me that she could no longer prescribe Vicodin, and needed to refer me to a “pain clinic” .. The Clinic insisted I switch to “long-acting Morphine” tabs, that put me at significantly greater risk of dying in my sleep –which I coincidentally found out from my sleep doctor– and even worse INSISTED that in order to prescribe M that I was being forced to sign a “pain contract” certifying that: 1) I would NEVER EVER drink even one alcoholic beverage or 2) never-ever have a toke of marijuana (which is totally legal in my state, and for which I have a Medical MJ card anyway). AND 3) submit to a piss test every visit.

The thought of turning to the black market for relief occurred to me .. for about 5 seconds .. until I realized that would be both cost-prohibitive and dangerous as hell.   I’m a living example of what this article is talking about, i.e. anti-opioid hysteria pushing people from legitimate responsible use of opioids off a cliff, INTO the black market .. and then to add insult to injury, USING the data of overall “deaths by opioids” to hype even more fear and to threaten GP’s with the loss of their license to practice if they prescribe vicodin … this is just so sick.

Thankfully the truth is finally getting told, and lies exposed, so hopefully this can be turned around in my lifetime;

• GreedKills (450 posts)
      Profile photo of GreedKills

2. People don't care

I was on a low dose of oxycodone for six years, never abused the medication, always kept my dose low and manageable but was pressured by my former Neurosurgeon who blamed my ongoing headaches on the oxycodone after having VP shunt surgery. Of course he was wrong and I have suffer because of this. I’m on medical MJ now and it does nothing for my neuropathic pain but some think MJ is a cure all. Hate to tell them nothing is a cure all and what works for some may not work for others.  Addiction will always be a problem and addicts will get what they need no matter what, people like us will end up paying the price. I wish you the best of luck 99.

We could of had people in the street celebrating a Sanders victory...........  #FreeJulian
      • 99thMonkey (2179 posts)
        Profile photo of 99thMonkey

3. Thank you, and best of luck to you my friend.

I am going to show this article – and report my Pain Clinic experience– to my GP at my next appt.  Not that I have high hopes it will help much, but at least I won’t go down quietly on this one .. and one never knows, until one at least tries.

• VoiceOfReason (412 posts)
        Profile photo of VoiceOfReason

6. Some good news for you

The present rat fucking cdc director who started this war on pain patients is going to resign Jan 20 this year.

I hope he gets colon cancer some day.

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories/2016/12/31/frieden-to-resign-as-cdc-director

"Men who do evil brilliantly are often admired"  Voltaire Voice Of Reason, aka , Troll destroyer
    • Enthusiast (5512 posts)
      Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

4. That sucks!

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
  • VoiceOfReason (412 posts)
    Profile photo of VoiceOfReason

5. Great link to great website

I actually came here now to post the same link but you beat me to it.

"Men who do evil brilliantly are often admired"  Voltaire Voice Of Reason, aka , Troll destroyer