Lone Nerd History Group

Home Lone Nerd History Group

I'm reading "A Pocket History of the United States"

• tabasco (108 posts)
    Profile photo of tabasco

I'm reading "A Pocket History of the United States"

by Allan Nevins & Henry Steele Commager.

“Pocket” history — very funny. 675 pages with print that looks like microfiche. Whenever I read a survey history like this, which covers centuries in a single read, it reminds me how we totally fail to learn from our past. The same cycles just seem to repeat over and over again with working people struggling for a better society and making some progress and then it all falls backward and we have to do it all over again. I have no doubt there is a segment of our ruling plutocrats who wish to return to the days of monarchy. There’s no question it could happen. They want to keep us stupid and in the dark.

With the exception of its treatment of the subject of Native Americans, this is a fine book.

heddafoil, valerief, jdpriestly and 7 othersHaikugal, Enthusiast, Octafish, canoeist52, dorkzilla, cui bono, FlatBaroque like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
6 replies
  • dorkzilla (2239 posts)
    Profile photo of dorkzilla Donor

1. Sadder yet

If you take the longer view, all the way back to pre-Christian Rome you can see the same stupidity repeated again and again. We’re arrogant enough to think we are smarter than the generations that went before us. Even when we know history we are doomed to repeat it. It matters little how familiar we are with the lessons of history and the “clarity” of hindsight.

I’m still looking for that perfect cave to go live in. It has so far eluded me.

• Enthusiast (5935 posts)
      Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

4. What you say is sad but it is true nonetheless.

We have to peer beyond the sad.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
  • Octafish (2864 posts)
    Profile photo of Octafish Donor

2. The Hamiltonians have their Champion

Ms. Clinton will protect the propertied and be prodigiously rewarded for her efforts.

The intelligentsia think the Broadway show is the real national pull-em-up-by-his bootstraps metaphor. In reality, story is a shadow version of how the rich get richer and the poor, poorer: money.

Thanks for the heads up on the “Pocket History,” tabasco. You probably know Michael Parenti. The guy’s on to their gangster arses.

“Get the truth and print it.” -- John S. Knight
  • Rocco (536 posts)
    Profile photo of Rocco Donor

3. You should read "The People's History of the United States."

by Howard Zinn. It’ll give you a new insight into American history!

• Flyingdragon (145 posts)
      Profile photo of Flyingdragon

5. THAT is a killer read…

It is so depressing it took me months to almost finish it..

But, more importantly, so eye opening.

"You're born an original. Don't die a copy."  John Mason. Also, Flyingdragon  NEE... PANGAIA
    • tabasco (108 posts)
      Profile photo of tabasco

6. I listened to the audiobook!

Had a 30-minute commute to my last job and used the time wisely by listening to good audiobooks.