Lone Nerd History Group

Home Lone Nerd History Group

Your opinions of Napoleon Bonaparte…….

• Jan Boehmermann (2013 posts)
    Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

Your opinions of Napoleon Bonaparte…….

……hero or tyrant?

Ohio Barbarian, Enthusiast, NVBirdlady and 2 othersgoodgirl, jwirr like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
9 replies
  • dorkzilla (2206 posts)
    Profile photo of dorkzilla Donor

1. I have to admit, I can't be impartial here

I have Horatio Nelson memorabilia scattered all over my house, so…

• jwirr (2576 posts)
    Profile photo of jwirr Donor

2. I have a problem with any empire so to that extent I think he should have stayed

in France.

• goodgirl (1984 posts)
    Profile photo of goodgirl Donor

3. Both.

He did some good things.  He did some bad things.  It’s difficult for me to see him as one or the other completely.

Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.    John F. Kennedy
  • NVBirdlady (3719 posts)
    Profile photo of NVBirdlady Donor

4. Tyrant…

He was a brutal.

BTW, a relative of mine was engaged to him at one point. Desiree Clary. She ended up marrying the King of Sweden. You can find her on Wikipedia.

President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020
  • Enthusiast (5409 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

5. Tyrant.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
  • Ohio Barbarian (851 posts)
    Profile photo of Ohio Barbarian Donor

6. Hero!

Somebody’s gotta do it. Napoleon did a lot of positive things–the French departments(here they are counties) where a horseman could ride to any place in the department and back from the county seat. It did wonders for the postal service and communications in general. The Napoleonic Code, which is influential to this day in Western law. He revitalized French industry and improved the standard of living for most of the French people for years.

He was no monster–there were no massacres(well, except for the Vendean royalist rebels, but fuck them) or mass imprisonments during his reign, and certainly no gulags or internment camps.

Finally, his troops spread the ideas of the French Revolution-liberty, equality, fraternity-throughout Europe. Napoleon was the beginning of the end for the old feudal aristocratic order throughout the continent. If we ever have a revolution and get a Napoleon, preferably one not foolish enough to invade Russia, we’ll be damned lucky. The world has seen far, far worse than Napoleon.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."--Voltaire  
  • FanBoy (5754 posts)
    Profile photo of FanBoy

7. never been able to come to a conclusion — some weird things going on there