Media

Home Media

A challenge for RT to embrace. Sign on the Young Turks!

• cascadiance (1313 posts)
    Profile photo of cascadiance

A challenge for RT to embrace. Sign on the Young Turks!

I’ve been encouraged that RT has been more of a “Voice of America” that so much of our own corporate media outlets have been, and how them providing voice to so many progressive hosts like Thom Hartmann, Ed Schultz, Chris Hedges, and Lee Camp has been encouraging. However, the times during the Ukraine crisis and some defections from some like Abby Martin have also been disappointing, and at times have left me still saying that I mostly watch just the hosts I know I can trust, as I know they aren’t probably muzzled as much as perhaps some of their other online staff might be.

Here’s a challenge to you RT, if you really want to show independence and perhaps becoming a real voice for progressives, that shows you are willing to take more risks of having some online talent perhaps exploring more risky topics that might not be of the wishes of who controls the network.

Sign on the Young Turks.  Cenk Uygur is a great progressive host and was too independent for MSNBC to keep him, much like Ed Schultz was.  He’s of Turkish descent but not one like some that might show some cultural biases against Armenians when his great cohost Ana Kasparian is Armenian.  They are above toeing the line of some of those culture wars and are willing to tackle so many other issues of the day that face us in a refreshing fashion.

Given Turkey’s recent history of being at odds with Russia (with the incident of shooting a Russian plane over Syria recently) amongst other things, perhaps RT might be a bit concerned on whether Cenk might unduly criticize Russia a lot on a show they might give him if they don’t try to control his content. Perhaps that concern might be legitimate, but if they would get him on, and give him as much editorial control as they look to be giving Thom Hartmann, RT could earn themselves that much more as an objective and unbiased network in our sea of media bias that we live in now.  But Cenk by any means isn’t biased to supporting Turkish positions unless he feels a need to do so personally, and I believe he would give a fair voice in any kind of conflicting matters between those countries.

The Young Turks could use some national media outlet exposure they don’t have outside of the internet, and RT could use more content that would help elevate them as a more objective network to challenge the rest of the media to answer that more to help all of us if the rest of the media would feel more forced to do the same.

Please do it.  Would love getting TYT shows back on Dish Network again.   It would also be a good gesture to do in light of what happened in Istanbul the other day, and the identities of a number of the terrorists there being from the former Soviet bloc.

It does look like Cenk was a guest of Larry King’s on RT recently, so perhaps this could happen?

https://www.rt.com/shows/politicking-larry-king/154632-young-turks-cenk-uygur/

Another interesting article/video to watch is when Abby Martin (who left RT in controversy later) earlier interviewed Cenk on RT on how he left MSNBC.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cenk-uygur-suggests-to-rt-anchor-that-her-networks-more-tolerant-than-msnbc/

mother earth, Jan Boehmermann, jillan and 10 otherslibodem, Koko, Doremus Jessup, no retreat no surrender, Enthusiast, AppaSpring, Dragonfli, valerief, bbgrunt, Bluesuedeshoes like this
    Vote AGAINST the race to the bottom by both corporate parties who seek to screw workers over globally!                                                                                  

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
9 replies
  • Dragonfli (611 posts)
    Profile photo of Dragonfli Donor

1. I both second and embrace that challenge!

If he has a complete show, I am not able to access it.

I have heard that one can purchase access to his show, but I struggle to purchase dog food. Such is not an option to some of us.

• AppaSpring (522 posts)
    Profile photo of AppaSpring Donor

2. The work of Cenk and TYT is quite good, that's a great idea. For some reason

I thought Cenk received some fairly decent backer funding to continue after Current as TYT, and that might conflict with RT. But I don’t know how these issues work.

RT is becoming the leader in progressive hosted shows. Too bad Free Speech TV (FSTV) didn’t pick up Ed, Cenk and Co. after Current and MSNBC ended for them, and LEE CAMP’S ‘Redacted Tonight.’ Lee also occasionally appears on The Big Picture, Hartmann’s Politics Panel on RT. FSTV now needs funding help for this quarter..

3. I think Al Jazeera would have survived more if they signed on progressives…

… as hosts, especially from those Current Shows that they had inherited.  I think they still could have done a lot of the other good shows they did.  I recorded most of the Fault Lines episodes that had actually started on FSTV before they started the Al Jazeera America channel subsequently.  They had Naomi Klein’s husband Avi Lewis working on a number of those Fault Lines documentary shows, who also had teamed up with her on other efforts like the very good film documentary on Argentina’s problems at the beginning of this century called “The Take” which influenced and foreshadowed the worker takeover of the Republic Windows and Doors in Chicago in 2008 during the Occupy movement days.

Al Jazeera should have followed the strategy of RT and signed on some more of the “left out” progressive hosts like TYT, John Fugelsang, and perhaps picked up James Zogby, who had his show dropped by LINK TV and is currently working on the platform committee as a Bernie member there.  If they had, they might still be alive now.  Perhaps many hosts were concerned about being getting labeled as a voice of the middle east being more problematic for audiences than a voice of Russia.

Current TV on the other hand perhaps should have been more aggressive on continuing its mission, instead of selling off to Al Jazeera.  I have to believe they were starting to build a reasonable audience, which would have likely got folks like Ed Schultz when he got dropped by MSNBC.  Though perhaps with this election, with Al Gore ownership, Current TV might have had a similar problem that MSNBC has had of being too tied to the existing corporatized Democratic Party leadership to be a good voice for the audiences of the Bernie movement.

Vote AGAINST the race to the bottom by both corporate parties who seek to screw workers over globally!                                                                                  
      • AppaSpring (522 posts)

4. Jeeze, I'd forgot how interesting Al Jazeera was and Fault Lines rings

a bell but I can’t recall it right now. A lot of rapid changes there were in just a few years. I can’t remember much about Current except the show with Cenk and Michael Shure, Joy Behar. From what little I remember, the second AL Jazeera was much more bland and standard looking with the typical large blue anchor desk and set, and the network maybe lost a lot of it’s distinction and edge. I couldn’t stick with it. Agree there might have been some concern about becoming ‘too middle eastern.’

Over at the Other Place, a couple of the resident grumblers are mentioning more that RT was banned there at one time, hint- part of the ongoing purge now I suppose.

FSTV has been a terrific source and we’ve contributed for a while. I certainly hope they continue and the current funding push is due to more alternative news sites online now and many people donating to elections. Their documentaries are excellent. Newer faces and programs they have from time to time are the Laura Flanagan show, and Ross Ashcroft’s Meet the Renegades though they’re not regular.

(Why isn’t there a ‘Preview Post’ option on these reply boxes?!)

5. I think that part of FSTV's funding problems is its audience is "mo poor"…

… than it used to be and many of us (including me who’ve been unemployed for some time now just living off of early distributions of retirement money) and can’t afford to make as much donations as we used to.  Party of the corporate elite’s plan I’m sure.   Disempower the masses by making them poorer.

I’m glad that FSTV isn’t afraid of providing political program content that contends heavily with the status quo.  I wonder how it’s audience numbers in terms of actual viewership compares to the other channel like them, LINK TV.  A while back, they both had great documentaries and both had some ongoing shows with political bent.  FSTV has expanded the latter, and LINK TV has cut them back and seems to now emphasize more about bringing global culture to us all, and less on stuff that contends with the corporate media eye candy that at times also comes from around the world too.  Don’t know if some of those in charge have a little neo-liberal funding bent towards shying away from politics too, or why they had pulled back on shows like James Zogby’s earlier (which I watched routinely).  At least they also carry Laura Flanders’ show as well.  If I get back to providing more donations again, it will definitely go more towards FSTV than LINK TV down the road.

• AppaSpring (522 posts)

6. Absolutely, many more are poorer now and that plays into the plan

to keep people uninformed by eliminating alternative news outlets. I don’t find myself watching Link much at all anymore actually, and you’re correct about them having a more documentary global focus rather than current issues programming. I’m very concerned with domestic US affairs now, as well as worldwide.

This reminds me that until about two years ago, I was exasperated with DN! which I started following around 2011, because of the heavy emphasis on the NSA, Assange, Skahil and Greenwald, and also global human rights issues and cases pertaining to torture and abuse. So much so that I almost contacted them about it. I decided to forget it though, especially after noticing their webpage stated ‘Global’ News Hour. But not long after this, I was amazed because they did start airing more US news topics IMO like Black Lives Matter, the encroachment of Alec and the Koch Bros. influence in the US and less on the other dominant themes.

To add: Cenk Ughur does a really good job, I especially like his perceptions, how he manages the team a bit and also his intelligent yet passionate style. He’s a good guy and younger people are attracted to them which is great. ~ TYT was a nickname for my dad when young, and I can only surmise why. I also introduced him to a Turkish guy that I almost married, and maybe should have looking back..

7. Cenk had such great guests on his show on Current…

On Cenk’s Current Yount Turks show Michael Hastings was on a lot before he was killed(?) in L.A. on the roadways?  Probably one of Hastings last shows before he died.  A lot of theories on who killed him in what many feel wasn’t an “accident” then.  He wrote about and talked on the Young Turks then on a lot of controversial topics that someone might have wanted him killed for that they didn’t feel threatened by the mass media on.

http://www.occupy.com/article/exclusive-who-killed-michael-hastings

It was also weird then that he had other noted personalities on his show RIGHT before they passed away too.

Andrew Breitbart!

Rodney King a few months before he passed too.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/the-young-turks-with-cenk-uygur/episode-104-season-1/the-young-turks-with-cenk-uygur/375149/

Those shows were very good in those days.

• Koko (1885 posts)
    Profile photo of Koko Donor

8. Progressive Media has definitely taken a hit….

I think its that the Oligarch’s don’t fund it and many of the Liberal Foundations lost money in 2008 with the Crash.  Others like Paul Newman (huge Progressive Funder) and many others were elderly and have passed on and everyone else doesn’t have the money (after the crash and the downturn) to contribute as much as they need.

Also the competition from Face Book, You Tube and other Social Media that has drained support from going to a News Site…unless it has Bells & Whistles to attract.

The other thing I think is that PROGRESSIVES have not had successes until Bernie Sanders.  And, people loved Chomsky, Hedges and before he died Howard Zinn and all those many other  voices that awakened us to what was going on in our country that we weren’t taught in School.

We all know What is Wrong….but, we have No Way to Correct it.  We on the Left have not been successful in having a MOVEMENT that can get traction enough to bring in big bucks funding during the Obama Years because we kept waiting for him to DO SOMETHING.

We have seen what Bernie could do with small donations and I wonder if we can start to Crowd Source Progressive Media if Bernie will keep Leading.  Without a Leader fighting for you its hard to raise money.  We have seen that giving to and supporting seemingly Progressive Congress Critters like Barbara Boxer and others who were “Fair Weather Friends” has not worked out through the years.  We have the Howard Dean and John Edwards failures and after awhile people kind of lost spirit.

Add in our two major organizing information vehicles “Daily Kos and Democratic Underground and what were once fledgling Progressive Blogs who have all turned on the Progressive Movement with daggers and you can see what a fix Progressive/Independent Media is in these days. The Bush Years and the rise of the Internet seems to have been our time of greatest strength.  We have to do better.  I hope Bernie will still be a leader that we can rally around and build a movement and change for the Media both Progressive and Mainstream. :shrug:

• Koko (1885 posts)
    Profile photo of Koko Donor

9. RT America…

Way back when I got my Roku Box I was one of the first to watch RT America.  It was before the Sochi Olympics and Putin was putting a huge effort into doing efforts to engage American Interests.  I also was able to get German, French and Iranian News in English, along with BBC feed.  I thought I’d died and gone to heaven!  I was so sick of US Mainstream Media that never covered any news I was interested in.  Even our Foreign Affairs reporting had gone to hell since “9/11.”  It was “Terra, Terra” and promoting Iraq Invasion and the rest of the wars we’ve gotten ourselves into.  (Current TV had died at that point and Democracy Now was all that I could listen to unless I tracked down some radio shows in MP3)

I got hooked to RT America and used to post Videos of Discussion Shows from RT  that were really informative (since we no longer have that here in the USA) on “The Underground Place.”  I ended up with Stalkers who tried to get my posts deleted and me thrown off as a Communist Putin Licker!  The Alonya Show was very popular but she left and went to work for Huffington Post.  Abby Martin followed her and I loved Abby and all the topics she covered that you didn’t see here in the USA about War & Peace and her own Civil Rights Crusades with really interesting guests…then Crosstalk with Peter Lavelle and later “Watching the Hawks, and even some of their own Russian Shows that interview guests on International Topics (again not covered in the USA).

I’d like to see Cenk over there.  Thom Hartmann has exposure there and so does Ed Shultz who was bumped off MSNBC.  It’s sad that we have to go to RT to get Progressive News.  But, then that’s Putin’s payback for all that “Radio Free Europe/Voice of America” propaganda they had to deal with during the Cold War.  But, why is it that Progressive Voices don’t thrive here at home in the USA?