Media

Home Media

WaPo vs. Justin Trudeau on Castro

• spud demon (571 posts)
    Profile photo of spud demon Donor

WaPo vs. Justin Trudeau on Castro

Justin Trudeau says:

Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and healthcare of his island nation.

Washington Post says:

The reality is that education and health care were already relatively vibrant in Cuba before the revolution, compared with other Latin American countries. While the Castro regime has not let that slip — and given greater access to the poor — it is a stretch to claim Castro was responsible for “significant improvements,” especially more recently.

Many other Latin American countries made far more dramatic strides in the past six decades, without the need for a communist dictatorship; Cuba simply had a head start when Castro seized power.

Moreover, the focus on health care and education should not detract from the fact that overall living standards, as measured by gross domestic product, calorie consumption and other measures, have declined significantly under communist rule. Without big handouts from first the Soviet Union and then Venezuela, the economic picture would be even worse.

Three Pinocchios

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/12/01/justin-trudeaus-claim-that-castro-made-significant-improvements-to-cuban-health-care-and-education/?utm_term=.70f496e32b02

note:  I’m not completely certain I’m posting in the right group.  I want to highlight the Post’s strident denial that Castro could have possibly done anything good.  This seems like more of a matter of opinion than a fact check.

Jan Boehmermann, Herman4747, Marym625 and 2 othersFuddnik, Enthusiast like this
    Cubs, Google+, Weird Al, BMW

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Enthusiast (4857 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

1. Washington Post = all lies, all the time.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
  • Marym625 (12239 posts)
    Profile photo of Marym625 Admin

2. This would work in a few forums.

It will probably receive more attention in GD. Let me know if you want me to move it.

The Washington Post has become a colossal joke. Ben Bradlee and Katherine Graham must be spinning in their graves

821484_1
  • Herman4747 (637 posts)
    Profile photo of Herman4747

3. With regards to health care, the Washington Post is completely messed up…

Around the time the Batista regime was still in power, (very slightly after – 1960), life expectancy in Cuba was 63.9 years.  Now in (2010) it is 79.07 years. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=life+expectancy+cuba Is that not a most “significant improvement”?? By the way, for comparison purposes, life expectancy in the U.S. is 78.74 years.

trekagainsttrump
    • FanBoy (4761 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

4. I think their point is that in 1960, Cuba already had a relatively high life

expectancy:  63.9 years, v. 57.7 in mexico and 69.7 for the US.

Since then, however, Cuban LE advanced faster than US LE:  78.0 v. 78.7.  Mexico = 77.1.