10 Steps to Save American Democracy

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | 10 Steps to Save American Democracy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      eridani
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,518

https://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/54113-10-steps-to-save-american-democracy

Trump isn’t the only problem. As Big Money floods our political system, and some in power are intent on making it harder for certain people to vote, we need a movement to save our democracy.

Number 1: Make voter registration automatic for all eligible voters, using information they’ve already provided the Department of Motor Vehicles or another government agency. This has already been implemented in several states, including Oregon, and it works. In 2014, over 1 in 5 Americans were eligible to vote but did not register. Automatic registration would automatically change this.

Number 2: Pass a new Voting Rights Act, setting uniform national voting standards and preventing states from engaging in any form of voter suppression, such as voter ID laws, the purging of voter rolls, and inaccessible and inadequate polling places.

Number 3: Implement public financing of elections, in which public funds match small donations – thereby eliminating the advantage of big money.

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 5,874

I couldn’t agree more. All of these steps are important, but the two that I feel must be implemented immediately are:

1. Eliminate gerrymandering.

2. Universally consistent election laws.

Primaries rather than caucuses

paper ballots

automatic registration

felons’ voting rights restored after serving sentence

clearly defined and limited election period

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Pastiche
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 370

Since 2000, Oregon has been voting-by-mail and I believe it might prevent many voting problems in other states.

During my lifetime, I have voted in five different states. By far, Oregon voting is the best.

You Voter’s Pamphlet arrives in the mail about three weeks before election day, followed by your ballot a week later. In the comfort of your home, you can read the Voter’s Pamphlet, look up candidate’s websites and take your time.

I am spoiled forever by this voting method.

“We’re about to have an election in which Incompetent A is going to be contesting with Incompetent B when both of them have demonstrated nothing remotely like any shred of adequacy to the scope of the problems we face.”

Richard Wolff

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.