100 million Americans affected: Biden to mandate ALL EMPLOYERS with over 100 workers to require Covid jab or weekly tests

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Latest Breaking News | 100 million Americans affected: Biden to mandate ALL EMPLOYERS with over 100 workers to require Covid jab or weekly tests

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,343

Source: https://on.rt.com/bgcy

US President Joe Biden will instruct all employers with more than 100 workers to force their staff to get vaccinated or to submit to weekly Covid-19 tests. Companies refusing will face stiff fines.

The new order, revealed by the White House on Thursday ahead of a speech by Biden, will affect roughly 100 million American workers. Earlier, White House officials told the media that Biden has also signed an executive order making vaccination obligatory for all 2.5 million federal employees and other outside contractors, with no option for testing as an alternative.

“This is not about freedom, or personal choice,” Biden said in his address to the nation on Thursday afternoon. Americans are “angry” and “frustrated” with some 80 million who haven’t been vaccinated, Biden said, adding that his plan aims to “reduce the number of unvaccinated Americans.”

The White House cannot normally compel private companies to force drugs or testing on their employees, but the Biden administration’s order will be given through the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which will issue a rule in the near future. According to the Associated Press, companies refusing to toe the line will face fines of $14,000 per violation.

Well, it’s certainly not expressing freedom or personal choice, is it? I expect court cases will be filed promptly.

GZeusH
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,259

Parents then had the good sense to know that polio vaccinations weren’t depriving anyone of their “freedom”.

Corporate America consists of totalitarian entities laser-focused on short-term greed.

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,882

“Americans are “angry” and “frustrated” with some 80 million who haven’t been vaccinated, Biden said,”

That’s the only line I heard of his speech and I turned the channel. Did he mention anything about research on treatments or an actual cure?

Ohio Barbarian
        • Total Posts: 21,760

The best treatment is still to take measures to improve your immune system, drink lots of liquids, get a lot of rest. There’s no cure for it if you get it except to get over it, and seek medical attention if you think you’re developing pneumonia; then, antibiotics will usually do the trick. Same goes for influenza. It’s just how these things work.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

You can jail a revolutionary, but you can't jail the revolution.--Fred Hampton

retired liberal
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 4,276

You’re kidding, correct? Where are the long term profits in an actual cure? Booster shots arewhere the profits are.
        Of the three COVID vaccines here, Pfizer is the weakest. The mRNA vaccines inherently cause the body to mount an allergic deference against the vaccine itself. For the next couple of days, side effects have absolutely nothing to do with the vaccine working. It hasn’t had time yet. That takes a week or so.
        The Moderna vaccine has over 3 times the strength of the Pfizer vaccine. That is why the Moderna vaccine has such a high reaction rate.
        I received the John & Johnson vaccine. Except for the needle going in and withdrawn, I had no side effects.
        I do wonder though, because some people have had some adverse side effects, if maybe they were give one of the other two vaccines, more that likely Pfizer and told it was the J&J vaccine?

We are an arrogant species, believing our fantasy based "facts" are better than the other person's fake facts.
        If you are wrong, it will be because you are not cynical enough.
        The older we get, the less "Life in Prison" is a deterrent.
        Always wear a proper mask when out and about. The life you save could be both yours and mine.

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,195

So I guess this is an improvement. But when I heard Biden was making a “big announcement about taking on the Delta variant”…. well, my infernal optimism thought he might be doing the logical thing, and pretended like it was March 2020 again, and was willing to restart things from a logical position, like eviction moratoriums, rent freezes, and $2000/month UBI until this fucking shit is dealt with.

And fucking get Locast back online, for Hell’s sake!!

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

PADemD
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,339

OSHA is going to enforce this?  Does OSHA have enough employees to inspect all companies?

jbnw
      Participant

will get the vaccine because of this. She doesn’t care about the politics – it just haven’t had enough testing for her.

She is not happy about it being mandated without long-term trials.

David the Gnome
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,230

@satan

I agree that all of those things should be done.  I also agree that this is a step up from Donald the clown.

What concerns me is the reactions we are likely to see from QAnon types.  While I cautiously approve of the mandates (with reservations particularly for reasons of human welfare and social concerns) … Tomorrow should be, uhh, interesting.

I think we are going to see a lot more incidents of violence and disruption.  They are going to view this as an assault on their civil liberties, as being forced to take the shot (due to, if nothing else, the threat to their livelihoods) – and they wouldn’t be completely wrong.

We don’t have the resources or institutions to deal effectively with such a thing.  Some people.. And towns and probably states.. Are going to go totally nuts.

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,882

@satan

We also need a mandate for paid sick leave and Medicare for all!

@retiredliberal

Was the J and J easy to find in your area?

sadoldgirl
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,349
        ArtfromArk
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 1,611

I would not be surprised, since getting a “Covid passport” is increasingly looking like a “mark of the Beast” scenario. Hold your Covid passport in your right hand to buy shit. Or better yet, have it embedded in your forehead so we can just scan it with our “reader”.

“There’s a new spirit abroad in the land. The old days of ‘grab and greed’ are on their way out. We’re beginning to think of what we owe the other fellow, not just what we’re compelled to give him. The time’s coming… when we shan’t be able to fill our bellies in comfort while others go hungry, sleep in warm beds while others shiver in the cold.... And God willing, we’ll live to see that day…” Basil Rathbone,"Sherlock Holmes Faces Death" (Universal 1943)

PADemD
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,339
      Thom Paine
      • Total Posts: 311

won’t we have to worry about more and more variants from around the globe from those countries that struggle getting control?  Don’t we have to stamp this out on a global level?

jbnw
        Participant

Three jabs in the US matters less when much of the world has zero.

Maybe the theory is “they’re poor so it’s less likely they’ll come here“ but I watched the maps last year and could see how it spread globally.

Ohio Barbarian

Like the common cold, and Covid is a member of that viral family, or influenza. It mutates too fast. The most reasonable course now is vaccination, which prevents serious illness or death something like 95% of the time.

We’re going to just have to learn to live with this one. It’ll be back in one form or the other. Fortunately it’s not as serious as many other things, like say cancer or texting while driving.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

jbnw
          Participant

what do we do with the patients who need hospitalization until then?

I have friends with family who have had it and survived, and friends with family members who died.

Ohio Barbarian

I’m not responsible for the capitalist health care system in this country. I don’t know what can be done by this government. Best thing people can do is do things to boost their immune systems. I’ve got nothing else.

jbnw
              Participant

If I recall correctly, the number of hospital beds per capita in the US has declined significantly as healthcare has shifted to a for-profit industry, rather than a service for the public good.

I could support a President who made positive orders, a few possibilities being

Reduce the age for Medicare to zero.
              Outlaw healthcare for profit (require all healthcare organizations to be non-profit organizations)
              Order production of a national stock of ventilators MONTHS ago.
              Order the military to create field hospitals as needed.
              Order the National Guard to create field hospitals as needed (I think that’s doable in a national emergency – the US had/has a LOT of National Guard serving in the Iraq/Afghanistan conflict).
              Call up the military reserves to serve in field hospitals.

But lots of these would have required thinking ahead, planning and preparation, as well as the willingness to involve the US government rather than just pass the buck to businesses.

It’s not something I’ve seen much of in the US over the last couple of years.

I always look at Turkey, with their HES code tracking system, set up in August of 2019, and compare to our, well, lack of tracking systems.

Ohio Barbarian

At least, that was the attitude of my county government, who made us work in the office well into November 2020, and told us to go on to work even after we told them we were exposed to people who were sick with Covid because we were sitting at a desk a few feet away from them for days or weeks. They didn’t even have testing available for us.

All the while emailing every county employee every time some other one came down with Covid, and telling us how wonderful we were for coming into the office every day during the pandemic.

jbnw
                  Participant

Healthcare should never be politicized, and this really has been.

Very little planning or preparation – everything seems like a surprise to our “leaders” from vaccination plans (“What? We have a vaccine?”) to tracking vaccination and the delta variant, known to be an issue since 2020!!

It was all “Masks off!!” to “whups – masks on again!!” within weeks.

You had the worst of it – “What? We should worry about our employees?”

We’re now at a higher case count than we were at the height of the pandemic last year, but now, as you point out, it’s an endemic and business (mostly) as usual.

Makes me wonder why all the fuss last year.

Ohio Barbarian

For one thing. For another, the lockdowns came just after the Super Tuesday Democratic primary, remember? In the states where Bernie could maybe have still turned things around, his campaign was telling his voters to “be safe” while Biden’s was telling his to vote like their lives depended on it. That was certainly the case in Ohio; I remember it clearly.

Covid was very convenient for Biden. He wouldn’t be President without it.

jbnw
                      Participant

I’d forgotten that bit of history.

And don’t forget the Hunter Biden laptop story censored by Twitter and Facebook and . . . as disputed – even the New York Times now no longer lists it as disputed.

One might have given us Bernie; the other might have shown who Biden is to more people and given Trump the win.

Ohio Barbarian

It will work because people won’t want to lose their jobs because they won’t get vaccinated, and because it’s simply easier to get vaccinated than to get tested all the damned time or turned away from a concert or something because one is not vaccinated. I heard that over 80% of federal employees are now vaccinated and that number is going up daily, to give just one example to back up my claim that the mandate is effective.

Biden even included mandatory paid sick time to get vaccinated or tested, which surprised me, but he did.

Most people who are vaccinated won’t have much sympathy for those who refuse to get one, so that’s the majority of Americans. I think Biden and the Democrats see a chance to make this a culture war issue, since some Republicans are screaming about it like Biden just flew a plane into a tall building or something, and this one’s an issue the Dems can win on. It’s cynical as fuck, but Biden said “They can go ahead and knock themselves out” when asked about Republican governors saying they’ll sue in the federal courts.

The idiots probably will, too, and who knows? Maybe this Supreme Court will say this new OSHA rule is unconstitutional. Then vaccine mandates become a liberal cause celebre’ and a knew grifting opportunity for the Democrats will be born.

ArtfromArk
      Participant

The Bible talks about having to show the “mark of the Beast” to buy or sell anything, and that applies to almost anyone, in any part of the world. Covid has shut down lots of things around the world, and now New York restaurants and other public venues there are requiring “Covid passports” for admittance, even though Covid inoculations don’t seem to have any real affect against Covid and its multivariate mutants. And even here in Japan, I recently read an argument where several people were 100% for “proof of 2X Covid vaccinations to even enter a restaurant”, because that would “make them safe”. What bullshit. If they were so sure of their precious vaccinations, why would they be afraid of non-vaccinated people? At the same time, here in Japan, people have died after getting Covid vaccinations, including big problems with tainted Moderna vaccines. F that S, man.

“There’s a new spirit abroad in the land. The old days of ‘grab and greed’ are on their way out. We’re beginning to think of what we owe the other fellow, not just what we’re compelled to give him. The time’s coming… when we shan’t be able to fill our bellies in comfort while others go hungry, sleep in warm beds while others shiver in the cold.... And God willing, we’ll live to see that day…” Basil Rathbone,"Sherlock Holmes Faces Death" (Universal 1943)

ArtfromArk
        Participant

and I’ve never had the flu since at least 1968/69 (Hong Kong flu),  although I question whether I even had it then, since I only had a few “flu” symptoms, and the shot of penicillin I got then seemed to take care of all of my symptoms.

MackMarkstein
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 244

Though I shouldn’t reveal in this way what maybe is HIPPA-confidential! Anyway no flu shots ever, that I can remember. Definitely had flu in 1986 because I was pretty much forced to socialize with the workers I was contracting for, in person, no masking of course, sit together in the break room, etc. Heard from their mouths about the symptoms of the awful flu going around, and of course was catching it or had caught it by that moment. After similar socializing in the 2000’s/2010’s pre-Covid, I could certainly recognize signs of when my body was fighting what was going around and had come around…And to date, zinc and echinacea on top of my daily mega-Vitamin C warded off those pre-Covid corona’s.

jbnw
      Participant

I used to get bad flus until I started taking the flu shot.

@artfromark
      @mackmarkstein

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.