10,000+ residents flee Michigan county after TWO dams fail in a single day, unleashing massive flood (PHOTOS & VIDEOS)

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Latest Breaking News | 10,000+ residents flee Michigan county after TWO dams fail in a single day, unleashing massive flood (PHOTOS & VIDEOS)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 14,678
      (RT) Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has declared a state of emergency for one county after two dams breached on the same day, warning that downtown Midland could be under nine feet of water in just 12 hours as thousands evacuate.

Both the Edenville and Sanford dams near Midland breached on Tuesday after several days of heavy rainfall, sending a torrent of water downstream along the Tittabawassee River and prompting the governor to issue an evacuation order for the area’s 10,000 or so residents.

“If you have not evacuated the area, do so now and get somewhere safe,” Whitmer said in a statement, noting the state’s National Guard had been activated and warning the city of Midland could be devastated by flooding as soon as Wednesday.

Several images and videos have emerged on social media showing the progress of the flooding and some of the damage caused, while one clip captured the moment the Edenville dam failed.

Multiple short videos and full story here.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 3,656

My husband knows that area better…. I don’t know for sure, but would imagine that when they get that range over the NW, over Lake Michigan, heading East… and don’t have a way to manage water systems, it’s gonna happen… Don’t think it ever did like this, though.

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

Ohio Barbarian

Slower moving storms, dumping more rain longer. Precipitation amounts changing from year to year and season to season. More atmospheric instability in some place and prolonged droughts in others.

@mrmickeysmom
        I speculate, but the models predicted stuff like this. Some hoax, huh?

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Mr. Mickeys Mom
          • Total Posts: 3,656

@ohiobarbarian  I have been looking to see if there is a more up to date way of calculating 1, 2, 5, 10, 100 year storms, and those models have not been officially updated in anything that a civil engineer would be counting on to predict the response of this hoax…

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

Punxsutawney
          • Total Posts: 1,709

Meanwhile here in the NW, May is coming in as a month near normal, but still short, and that’s a victory. At the end of April my city was at 58% of average rainfall. Too early to tell what fire danger will be but the prediction is that it will be a bad season.

Meanwhile the MAGA types are saying the prediction is a liberal plot to force people to adopt Agenda 21. I swear one couldn’t make up this kind of stupid if one tried.

In America, “Liberty” means “Free to Die in Service of Capital” - Amfortas the hippie

Tokenlib
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 320

But the truth is.. IT”S ALL GOV WHITMER’S FAULT.  Or so the guy who had his assault weapon at the Capitol last week whining about not getting a haircut is saying….

Bernie Boomer
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 202

in infrastructure maintenance and repair. The larger of those dams has been on the ‘needs work’ list for twenty years and it’s far from the only dangerous dam in the country.
      Without a new “New Deal” public works project, funded by the government, it’s all going to come tumbling down around the ears of those who survive this pandemic and administration.
      But that sort of investment will never happen and we lack the national will to change the status quo.

Gryneos
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 948

of how Washington ignored it until it took the form of a dust storm impacting them directly. So, maybe Washington needs a direct hurricane impact. Cat-2 would probably be strong enough to get the message across.

Who are you? | What do you want? | Why are you here? | Where are you going? | Do you have anything worth living for? | Who do you serve and who do you trust?

Bernie Boomer
          Participant

Hurricanes give too much warning – all those politicians would just leave town and call in their hopes and prayers.
          A shallow major quake might rattle their cage.

Gryneos
            Participant

is that most are not related to climate change, so they wouldn’t get that message. Yes, you have advanced warning with hurricanes, sometimes. Harvey turned into a Cat-4 storm in just two days. And if the storm is big enough, it would force airports to shut down, stranding Congress and the rest of them to the general area. They’d learn pretty quickly how difficult it is to evacuate when everyone else in the area is doing so at the same time.

@bernieboomer

Who are you? | What do you want? | Why are you here? | Where are you going? | Do you have anything worth living for? | Who do you serve and who do you trust?

Bernie Boomer
              Participant

@gryneos

I’m just not sure they would care enough about the suffering of others, since they’d probably be airlifted out by the military, post-haste.

Gryneos
                Participant

Although not all military pilots are as experienced with flying in hurricanes like the few who do the Hurricane Hunter flights. Those guys are probably seen as crazier than your average combat pilots! 😀

ravensong
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 2,140

‘Without a new “New Deal” public works project,  funded by the government, it’s all going to come tumbling down around the ears of those who survive this pandemic and administration.”

I was going to post almost those exact words until I saw your post.

“A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority.” ~ Booker T. Washington

The truth is, there’s no such thing as being “anti-Fascist.” Either you are a decent human being with a conscience, or you are a fascist.
        ~ Unknown

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,581

Up until the 1970s, the US Army Corps of Engineers was on a dam building binge. The built dams for flood control, hydro power, irrigation, recreation, domestic water supply and god knows what else, They hated free flowing rivers passionately. Water flowing unrestrained was water wasted. And the Bureau of Reclamation was in one the deal, too, mostly for irrigation. Now all those dams are getting old and weakening. In many cases, there is no way to repair them. They just sit there, waiting to fail. If we’re lucky, they fail gradually, a little at a time. Sometimes they fail catastrophically, all at once, releasing a wall of water. Chickens coming home to roost.

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,627

Private management for profit of public infrastructure is never a good idea.

See a few issues at https://www.troutmanenergyreport.com/2018/10/ferc-denies-stay-hydro-project-license-termination/ :

On October 18, 2018, FERC denied several motions to stay an order issued on September 10, 2018, which invoked FERC’s rarely used authority under section 31 of the Federal Power Act to revoke the license for the existing 4.8-Megawatt Edenville Project No. 10808 (“Edenville Project”), located on the Tobacco and Tittabawassee Rivers in Gladwin and Midland Counties, Michigan. Motions to stay FERC’s revocation order were filed by licensee Boyce Hydro Power, LLC’s (“Boyce Hydro”), Sanford Lake Preservation Association, Wixom Lake Association, and the Gladwin County Board of District Commissioner (together, the “Lake Associations”). FERC denied the motion to stay because Boyce Hydro and the Lake Associations did not show that they would suffer irreparable non-economic harm if the stay were not in place. FERC also held that the stay did not violate the public interest.

As summarized in its September 10 order, FERC staff began notifying Boyce Hydro and its predecessor of noncompliance issues at the Edenville Project in 2004, focusing in particular on the project’s spillway capacity and its inability to pass the Probable Maximum Flood (PMF)—the most severe flood reasonably possible in the area, given its meteorologic and hydrologic conditions. In 2017, FERC staff issued a Compliance Order, specifying a number of allegations against Boyce Hydro regarding its failure to comply with FERC’s licensing requirements in operating the Edenville Project. In the order, FERC staff stated that Boyce Hydro failed to report the Edenville Project’s structural instability, undertook unauthorized dam repairs, failed to construct approved recreation facilities, and neglected to acquire all the necessary property rights. The Compliance Order required Boyce Hydro to provide the specific plans, specifications, reports, and other information needed to address the various license violations.

Over the next year, Boyce Hydro requested, and FERC staff granted, two additional extensions of time to remedy the violations described in the Compliance Order. On February 15, 2018, after Boyce Hydro failed to meet those additional deadlines, FERC issued an Order Proposing Revocation of Boyce Hydro’s license to operate the Edenville Project. On September 10, 2018, FERC revoked the license. Subsequently, Boyce Hydro and the Lake Associations filed motions at FERC and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (“D.C. Circuit”) to stay the Revocation Order. On September 25, 2018, the D.C. Circuit denied the motion to stay.

ravensong
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 2,140

Thanks!

“A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority.” ~ Booker T. Washington

The truth is, there’s no such thing as being “anti-Fascist.” Either you are a decent human being with a conscience, or you are a fascist.
        ~ Unknown

Tokenlib
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 320

Two man-made lakes are gone, drained away. It will be interesting….

Ohio Barbarian

@tokenlib I have no idea, but this sounds like it should have a full environmental impact statement made on what’s best for the environment and the people in Michigan. These dams were old, and I don’t even know if they were generating electrical power anymore, if they ever did.

Snort McDork
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,779

????????????

I'm Snort McDork and I approved this message.

"I like birdy num-nums"

Ohio Barbarian

@snortmcdork Sometimes I think these things have a kill switch after so many hours.

Snort McDork
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,779

I should have had a V-8!

I'm Snort McDork and I approved this message.

"I like birdy num-nums"

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.