11 Senate Republicans say they will oppose Electoral College results Wednesday

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | 2020 Elections | President | 11 Senate Republicans say they will oppose Electoral College results Wednesday

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,740

It’s hard to find actual details on the legal process in news stores, but The Hill laid it out at https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/532366-11-senate-republicans-say-they-will-object-to-electoral-college-results-on .

The senators didn’t say in their joint statement if they plan to object to the results from specific states, how they would divvy up those objections or if they would just vote in support of challenges to the Electoral College results if they reach the Senate.

If an objection has the support of a member of the House and a member of the Senate, the two chambers separate and debate it for up to two hours. Both the House and Senate would then vote on whether to uphold the objection, which would require a majority in both chambers to be successful.

Wednesday’s objections will fail because Democrats control the House and several GOP senators have said they will oppose objections next week.

But Wednesday will mark only the third time since 1887 that Congress has had to debate and vote on an objection. The attempts to change the results in 1969 and 2005 were also unsuccessful.

Bernie Boomer
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 552

Refusing to support the duly elected commander-in-chief is a violation of their oath of office.

Of course, that won’t happen.

djean111
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 6,558

And obviously Congress does not have to support the president – they disagree and vote against legislation proposed by the president all the time.  They can impeach a president.   There is a procedure, actually, for when Congress disagrees with EC votes.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/explaining-how-congress-settles-electoral-college-disputes

So this is not a reason to not swear an elected congressman in.  Unless THAT election is questioned, of course!

Since I feel both major parties AND the presidential choices we were given by them are corrupt pieces of offal, I am just sort of entertained here.   Life under Biden/Vichy Dem is gonna suck just as massively, IMO.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

Everything I post is just my opinion, and, honestly, I would love to be wrong.

Bernie Boomer
          Participant

I was conflating the horrible loyalty oath I had to take in order to teach college courses.
          Thanks for the reminder.

jbnw
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 5,740

I never had to do that at any university I taught at!!

Bernie Boomer
              Participant

Which isn’t, in itself, surprising. Nevada put a paramount allegiance clause in their constitution (both the first and the second, ratified version in 1864). They also outlawed slavery and gave up unappropriated land to the federal government (the reason over 80% of the state belongs to the fed). Nevada did not have the population to qualify as a state, but Lincoln and the North wanted another free state, so they made a deal with the citizens of the territory. They added all the above – and also required that anyone who held any sort of state office had to swear their loyalty to the federal government (because: subversive Confederates . . .)

So, as some sort of weird extension of that, teachers (K-12 and higher) have to sign/affirm an oath of allegiance. It is – imo (and in the eyes of more than one constitutional scholar) illegal on its face, because of the way its worded – it requires the oathtaker to “protect and defend the U.S. and state governments and constitutions against all enemies, foreign and domestic.”

The kicker word in there is, of course, “governments.” No one, constitutionally, has to swear to defend a government. The constitutions, sure – but not the governments.

It scarred me, I guess . . . 🙂
              I signed it under protest. Literally – “Signed under Protest” and then I signed under that.

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,503

In theory, McConnell will ask for unanimous consent. There will be an objection, and each state will go individually. When the first state comes up, McConnel will ask for unanimous consent to accept that state’s electors. If there is an objection, there will be a two hour debate, followed by a vote. Then the next state will repeat the process. The Asshat Coalition might just object to the battleground states, and they might not use the full two hours for each one of those. Once they feel they got enough publicity and created enough trouble, they could agree to unanimous consent and end the whole charade. **OR** They could cause a two hour debate for each of the fifty states, drawing out the process for a week or more. McConnell probably has some procedural tricks in mind to stop them. He might call a vote on the battleground states first, hoping that would satisfy the asshats. Who knows? From what I have heard, this is the first time the legislative assembly will try to overturn an election. Should be fun.

beeninthewoods
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 117

If only the Dems could rewind the clock to 2000 and revisit Bush v Gore. Shameful that in that year not one Dem would rise up to challenge such a fraudulent process.

3fingerbrown
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,727

Games, for the masses.

All governments lie to their citizen's, but only Americans believe theirs.

Haikugal
      • Total Posts: 2,328

Thanks for your post!

MackMarkstein
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 271

By felons I mean whole parties, organizations, conspiracies of some scale.
      Here’s this again: Dirty filthy vote-counting in Kentucky, whose local elections officials and especially voting machines elected Mitch McConnell….pretty unlikely the actual will of the voters did that:
      https://www.dcreport.org/2020/12/19/mitch-mcconnells-re-election-the-numbers-dont-add-up/

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.