Home Main Forums 2018 Elections 2018 election progressive candidates #13

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
12 replies
  • cascadiance (2379 posts)
    Profile photo of cascadiance Donor

1. Added David Gill as candidate for Illinois 13th district…

Vote AGAINST the race to the bottom by both corporate parties who seek to screw workers over globally!                                                                                  
  • Marym625 (23443 posts)
    Profile photo of Marym625 Admin

2. This is so much work. I'm so grateful

Stuck and on The Daily Radical

Thank you!

Oi245KQ-1 "Once the decision was made to go into Iraq as an invader and occupier,  it’s like our nation lost its conscience. And it has not yet gotten that conscience back." Madfloridian  

3. Added Diane Russell for Maine governor race.

Vote AGAINST the race to the bottom by both corporate parties who seek to screw workers over globally!                                                                                  
  • tonyl (854 posts)
    Profile photo of tonyl Donor

4. Thankyou for all the work you have done to date on this ..

I admire your perseverance, I think, in time, this will prove to be very useful.

Because you cant have integrity occasionally
  • Scuba (3186 posts)
    Profile photo of Scuba Donor

5. Why are Republicans listed here if this is a list of progressive candidates?

I was going to share this with someone who is looking for a list of progressives running for office.  Glad I looked closely before I did.

6. I've added notes in the past that these two are endorsed by Brand New Congress..

… as candidates they support.  These Republicans are in red areas, where most Republicans nominated are right wing, and Democrats hardly run, or are just as Republican in terms of their policies as Blue Dogs as the Republicans.  If you go back through the history of threads (I wish they could be on one thread rather than 13 here), I’ve noted that perhaps in these areas, some might want to vote in the primaries for this Republican to get the very red candidates out of the race, and then in the general, if the Democrat is still better than this Republican, they could vote for the Democrat there, and not fear that if the Democrat doesn’t win, a more extreme Republican gets elected.

If you go to Brand New Congress and read their comments and agendas, they are refreshing in how most of their stances are pretty populist and people centric.  Not sure if in details they might be a bit more conservative thing on things like gun rights, etc. as what distinguishes them from Democrats or the like.

Start a thread here and if we can get enough folks here that recommend that they be taken out, I’ll maybe put just notes at the bottom of the list instead or take them out.

I’m open to suggestion.  But reading what they say on Brand New Congress, I’ve frankly in many cases seen worse Democratic candidates than these folk.

Update:  I just rechecked links and noted that some of these brand new congress candidates still have pages on their site, but aren’t referenced on the older links I had for them, and some no longer show on the main candidates link at Brand New Congress’s site.  Both Danny Ellyson (one of the two Republicans) and Hector Morales (Democrat) still have candidate pages on Brand New Congress’s site, but don’t show up on their candidates page and their older links didn’t work any more.  Just changed them to the links that work so that people can study them, but if someone can see any news that perhaps Brand New Congress pulled back from endorsing them, etc. I will remove them.

Rob Ryerse is still listed as a candidate they support, and supports things like Medicare for All, which in my book, if I was a person living in his district, and I had a choice to keep out a more right wing candidate, I might vote for him at least in the primaries, as someone who might vote for single payer later where another Republican won’t.

• Scuba (3186 posts)
        Profile photo of Scuba Donor

7. If it's a list of progressive candidates, Scott Walker shouldn't be on it.

If it’s just a list of all candidates, there are other sources.

What is it I don’t get?

8. Walker is NOT a recommended candidate. He's the incumbent for that office…

Look at Bernie Sander’s and Elizabeth Warren’s listings.  They are both listed as incumbents AND have a line underneath them noting we support them as incumbents.  But given your comment, I will add a comment to the top to clarify this to make sure there’s no confusion when only an incumbent is listed.  Or I could add a line under each incumbent without a progressive challenger we endorse yet as being “N/A” in terms of who we endorse as a challenger if none is listed now.

I don’t list all of the incumbents in congress as the list would get monstrous if we did that, and only list offices when a progressive challenger is in the race, even though I also list the incumbents there too.

• Iwillnevergiveup (549 posts)
    Profile photo of Iwillnevergiveup

9. Completely understandable

you don’t have time to do any research.  I’m thinking some number of posters might be willing to help.  If 10 people would take on gathering info in 5 states, that could make a world of difference.  Races could be accurate, more up to the minute.  I’ll volunteer!

"Tyrants don't care if you believe them, they just want you to succumb to doubt." Peter Maass

10. I do try to do daily queries with certain keywords to try and find good entries

… and then when I think I find them, I try to dig a little deeper to see other decent endorsements like Our Revolution, Brand New Congress, Berniecrats 2016 election list, etc. to try and at least get some second opinions that the candidates are good too.  And try to research their own meetings and statements to see if what the say backs up what is said about them.  Every once in a while we get some differences of opinion, like some online commentators questioning Ro Khanna, who early on was made out to be someone that met with Democratic Leadership and promised help with getting donations, etc.

The money bit is a mixed bag I think.  Some candidates are very strongly against big money contributions of any kind and those I strongly count positively for their courage in these areas.  Some candidates do a lot of great other work, like Elizabeth Warren with her in depth research, understanding, and proposing of decent legislation, etc. to deal with this issue, though on some other issues I still would like to see her stronger on.  She doesn’t seem as strong willed to take on the party establishment outside of these economic areas.  I still value what she does, and I think her heart is in the right place, and think she deserves credit for that.

The big question for most candidates is if the idea of seeking money just to get elected, and mostly to get elected as one of the “Democrats” to keep out Republicans isn’t really good enough.  They need to have progressive ideas on issues, and work with people to hear what they want to have them do on many things too.  If someone has been personally involved in an issue like Amy Vilela in Nevada taking on that corporate Democrat who is taking the corporate BS stand on single payer, and she has so much personally at stake after her daughter died from inadequate health care due to the messes caused by corporate owned insurance of health care.  Even if she’s green on a lot of other issues, if she has a passion to light a big fire on that issue, and her heart is in the right spot on other issues, THAT is the kind of candidate I want to find and give a push to.

Sometimes when I get some time, I go through the Wikipedia pages for these offices to look at the candidates they list to research them more.  It would be good if some others could start in being a bit more thorough on each of those races and candidates, to see if we’re missing some more of them.  And sometimes, through other research, especially if just recently announced candidates, you find that wikipedia is missing those candidates.  I’ve added a few to those pages that have been missing.  That also helps them get more exposure too.

The big area for me where I’ve drawn the line to keep me from being swamped is the other state level races where there are multiple candidates for their legislatures and senate, and other offices besides governor, which currently I’m listing at this point on the page I have here.  There are a lot of candidates I’ve seen periodically going through here that should be listed somewhere.  We need to come up with a way of organize these races by state, etc. in the downstate forum folder, with perhaps some subfolders for each state or the like.  This would be a good discussion to have on how to have something that isn’t too difficult to maintain and update over time, and is easy for the casual visitor of this site to find and go through and link to on other sites as well when they find things that are interesting and useful to themselves.

Outside of the need to keep the content updated continuously, my biggest issue now here technically is the need to replicate this page about every week when the timeout gets set not allowing more edits, and that’s when you get a new number.  It takes a while to do this page (about 15 minutes to a half hour) as I need to re-apply the styles, and things like making links links again, etc.  It would be nice to either have some threads specially set through site administration as not expiring so that one doesn’t have to make new pages, etc.  I’ve suggested also having a new feature on the site like a “virtual link” that could be permanent and be edited to point to a different page on the site over time.  This would allow that permanent “virtual link” be found by search engines outside, and provide more traffic to the site, as other sites could set up permanent links going to an “updating page” like this page, and not have it unset when we move it to a newer page every week.  I could see this useful in other contexts too, when we have an area of interest on this site which continually changes over time so that the main thread needs to be updated constantly.

This problem might be that much more difficult if we have multiple pages that have the same issues for different states or regions with similar changing info in them.  Hoping this technical issue can be solved soon, and that would pave the way for others like yourself to be able to use your time judiciously to increase our scope of local elections also being covered too.

• Iwillnevergiveup (549 posts)
        Profile photo of Iwillnevergiveup

11. Cascadiance,

Awesome, thoughtful response that took a fair amount of MORE of your time.  I didn’t realize all the hurdles you face.  You have some excellent suggestions for improvement – especially the time edits issue.  Please let me know if I can help you until some procedures get clarified.

"Tyrants don't care if you believe them, they just want you to succumb to doubt." Peter Maass

12. Our Revolution appears now to be debating two different Illinois candidates…

… and different groups within Our Revolution endorsed Daniel Biss and Ameya Pawar just this last week.  Here’s a thread debating the two different endorsements that perhaps can help us start sorting out which one we might ultimately solidify support behind.  The thread notes that if they both stay in the race, that they might both lose in splitting the pro-Bernie vote.  For now, I’ll add both to the list.

https://capitolfax.com/2017/08/15/biss-pawar-battling-for-the-bernie-vote/

Woops… Wrong thread.  I’ll add it to the current thread where I’ll add them both.