Home Topics in Depth Science And Environment 347 Native Bee Species 'Spiraling Toward Extinction'

• Eggar (2063 posts)
    Profile photo of Eggar Donor

347 Native Bee Species 'Spiraling Toward Extinction'

“The evidence is overwhelming that hundreds of the native bees we depend on for ecosystem stability, as well as pollination services worth billions of dollars, are spiraling toward extinction,”

05 March 17

Center for Biological Diversity,  EcoWatch

The widespread decline of European honeybees has been well documented in recent years. But until now much less has been revealed about the 4,337 native bee species in North America and Hawaii. These mostly solitary, ground-nesting bees play a crucial ecological role by pollinating wild plants and provide more than $3 billion in fruit-pollination services each year in the United States.

The key findings:

• Among native bee species with sufficient data to assess (1,437), more than half (749) are declining. (Click here to see a list of the bees as well as their status and geographic range).
    • Nearly one in four (347 native bee species) is imperiled and at increasing risk of extinction.
    • Many of the bee species lacking sufficient data are also likely declining or at risk of extinction, highlighting the urgent need for additional research.
    • The declines are caused primarily by habitat loss, heavy pesticide use, climate change and urbanization.

These troubling findings come as a growing body of research has revealed that more than 40 percent of insect pollinators are highly threatened globally, including many of the native bees critical to unprompted crop and wildflower pollination across the U.S.

To assess current population trends and threats as comprehensibly as possible for the 4,337 described species of North American and Hawaiian bees, Center for Biological Diversity staff reviewed the current conservation status of 316 species as established by state, federal or independent research. We then conducted a comprehensive review of all available literature on native bees to determine a status for an additional 1,121 species.

[More]:

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/318-66/42313-347-native-bee-species-spiraling-toward-extinction

Koko, Mom Cat, A little weird and 7 othersbbgrunt, Lynetta, Haikugal, The Crone, glinda, Passionate Progressive, Shlabotnik like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
25 replies
    • Haikugal (6091 posts)
      Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

1. Build or buy Mason bee houses. It's easy and it really helps the bees. We don't

spray anything here because we’re 100% organic but all around us are people that do spray. Try to use more native plants in your yard because many native insects are hurting for habitat.

Thanks Eggar, this is a very important topic.

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
      • Eggar (2063 posts)

2. yes it is

disheartening when I see bee behaving all confused after they land. If I had a place (land) I would do just a you suggest. Right now, it’s just feeding all the little doods (snowbirds now) that raid my balcony throughout the day

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

3. If you have a wall or tree that gets morning sun you can hang a mason bee

‘hotel’, they will use it. They’ll use all manner of things.

• Eggar (2063 posts)

4. Good to know

I’ll be giving it a try

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

5. That's a nice one. It has many different sized holes to use. Mason bees are

active earlier than most of the other bees. They pollinate our fruit trees that bloom in the early spring.

Parasitic wasps will use it too.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
                Profile photo of FanBoy

6. what do parasitic wasps do and what are they parasites on?

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

8. The ones we have use spiders. I feel for the spiders. We also have the kind that

use caterpilllars but they don’t bury their victims. I am probably missing something.

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/QT/parasitesinsectcard.html

another link

http://www.gardeners.com/how-to/parasitic-wasp/7330.html

Here is something about our friend the Mason Bee.

http://www.beefacts.net/mason_bees/mason_bees.html

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
                    Profile photo of FanBoy

10. so they don't pollinate but might use the mason bee houses? would that

hurt the mason bees?

thinking about getting a house…

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

12. No because the Mason bees aren't on their menu. There are Mason Bee

predators though. Some people carefully bring their Mason Bee houses into a safe place to over winter to prevent predation.

I ordered this one from Amazon…I know, I know, Amazon. But I can’t get around very well these days and can’t make my own right now. In the past we have drilled varied sized holes in cord wood or made bundles of Hydrangea cuttings (they are hollow) to accommodate our Mason Bees. They are fascinating to watch and they work very hard.

http://www.about-bees.com/mason-bees.html

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
                        Profile photo of FanBoy

13. nice.

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

14. I think so too and it isn't too expensive really.

The Bee will make around 6 chambers for their larva in each tube. She makes the chamber then gathers pollen, lays the egg and seals the chamber.

I have a Mason Bee book around here somewhere. It was very reasonably priced and gives great information about solitary, native bees.

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

17. Here's a book…

http://Mason Bee Revolution: How the Hardest Working Bee Can Save the World – One Backyard at… https://www.amazon.com/dp/1594859639/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_w.BVybWZWV2CH

• Mom Cat (14532 posts)
      Profile photo of Mom Cat Donor

7. Thanks for this post! I rely on my local carpenter bees for the bulk of my

pollination needs. They are great gentle giants with big shiny black butts. They evidently do not sting. I have dad them safely crawl on me.

If you look them up in a search engine, most of the links are how to destroy them. Please don’t do that. The amount of damage they might do to wood is quite small compared to how much they give.

Some people mistake them for bumble bees because of their size. They are unduly maligned and deserve our love and protection.

NEVER FORGET      BERNIE WON!          
      • Eggar (2063 posts)

9. Yes they do!

They sometime appear threatening the way the take sentry over their claim, but I have never heard anyone getting stung by one.

Now horseflies, on the other hand ….. tenacious

• Mom Cat (14532 posts)

15. Mine like to hover right in front of my nose and just stare. It used to scare

me a bit, but I now enjoy their companionship.If you have any, please treasure them!  :hug:

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
        Profile photo of FanBoy

11. thank you too; i am learning from all of these posts.

• Mom Cat (14532 posts)

16. Me too! They have made me decide to do Mason bees this year!

Does anyone know a good cheat sheet on how to raise them?

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

19. Here's some good information.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Other/note109/note109.html

This is the book I have.

http://The Orchard Mason Bee: The Life History, Biology, Propagation, and Use of a North American Native Bee https://www.amazon.com/dp/096358412X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_NCbWybPKTE2RP

• Mom Cat (14532 posts)

20. Thanks for the info! I will study it.

Do you know anything about Crowm Bees? I am thinking about ordering from them.

They send bees from one’s own geographical region, which seems like a good advantage here in New England.

Where do you get your bees and supplies?

I am getting excited about doing this!

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

21. We have them here. I never ordered any so can't advise you. They're

Probably good. Do they have support information about the bees available?

• Mom Cat (14532 posts)

22. Here is a link to Crown Bees. Looks like they have a lot of

info that I have been working my way through.

http://crownbees.com/

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

23. That's a nice website. I like that they are working to improve things. Thanks!

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

18. Here is a nice article on making your own…

a Mother Earth take on it.

http://www.motherearthliving.com/healthy-home/DIY-Projects/DIY-bee-house-zmhz16jazgai

• Mom Cat (14532 posts)

24. I just ordered my bees!

I decided to get the mason bees and the summer leaf cutter bees from Crown Bees plus their cocoon tubes for each. I am so excited! I have been procrastinating on this for several years now.

• Haikugal (6091 posts)

25. How fabulous! You will keep us informed I hope.

I received my new Mason Bee house and haven’t decided where the best morning sun is here at the apt. When I lived in the house I used the kitchen porch and I could sit and watch them.

Good luck!!