35 years ago, Isaac Asimov was asked by the Star to predict the world of 2019

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Bar and Grill | 35 years ago, Isaac Asimov was asked by the Star to predict the world of 2019

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      N2Doc
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,276

lf we look into the world as it may be at the end of another generation, let’s say 2019 — that’s 35 years from now, the same number of years since 1949 when George Orwell’s 1984was first published — three considerations must dominate our thoughts:

1. Nuclear war. 2. Computerization. 3. Space utilization.

If the United States and the Soviet Union flail away at each other at any time between now and 2019, there is absolutely no use to discussing what life will be like in that year. Too few of us, or of our children and grand· children, will be alive then for there to be any point in describing the precise condition of global misery at that time.

Let us, therefore, assume there will be no nuclear war — not necessarily a safe assumption — and carry on from there.

more

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018/12/27/35-years-ago-isaac-asimov-was-asked-by-the-star-to-predict-the-world-of-2019-here-is-what-he-wrote.html

Way Way too optimistic….

elias39
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,066

It seems unfortunately that Asimov was overly optimistic.

Homer Ramone
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 338

My father was his lawyer

eridani
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,518

People observed that there were big commercial airplanes and big computers, and concluded that people would surely want small personal versions of the former, but not the latter.

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.