40% of people would have sex with a robot, study exclaims

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | 40% of people would have sex with a robot, study exclaims

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      eridani
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 10,976

Only if it obeyed Asimov’s Three Laws of Robotics, sez me.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/40-of-people-would-have-sex-with-a-robot-study-exclaims/

I’ll tell you what many of them might be thinking. More than 40% of them think it would be a fine idea to have sex with a robot. A humanoid robot that is — I don’t wish to offer any logistical description of what this sort of sex might entail.

I can tell you, however, that for a finely-tuned 3% of these people, it would only be a one-night stand. Or perhaps a beings-with-benefits arrangement. You see, a mere 39% — wait, a staggering 39% — believe they could have a romantic relationship with a robot. Well, some boys do seem remarkably attached to trains, so I suppose this is mere human progression… of a kind.

It would be remiss not to add that there’s a certain skew here. A hearty 48% of the men in this survey were prepared to have sex with a robot. However, the women, not quite so much. I’d like to draw a deep, meaningful conclusion from this study. I’d like to suggest that perhaps our time as a reproductive species may be coming to a close. Or, perhaps, that too much technology has already been added to the human brain, making it beyond repair.

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

Scott Crowder
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 722

That found 80% of women don’t marry because men don’t make enough money, I’d suggest the women aren’t interested in sex with a robot because the robot doesn’t have enough money.
      Now if you asked the women would you have sex with a robot if you got paid to, I’m betting something very telling about the female psyche would be revealed.

"The possessions of the rich are stolen property." Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
      “The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it.” Edward Dowling
      "The poverty of our century is unlike that of any other. It is not, as poverty was before, the result of natural scarcity, but of a set of priorities imposed upon the rest of the world by the rich." John Berger

djean111
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 6,995

There is a whole subReddit about that, I think the folks invested in that theory are called “incels”, or something.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

Everything I post is just my opinion, and, honestly, I would love to be wrong.

"black flag" is an inadvertent mash-up of black ops and false flag. . I think it is accurate, and I will keep it. Thanks to those who pointed it out!

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,845

@scottcrowder

Do you have a citation to this survey? Sounds like bullshit. All women are not gold diggers.

djean111
        Participant

An interesting little contretemps, considering that marriage used to be sort of a financial and security transaction, and “love” not considered a reason to marry/not marry at all.  IMO, women were just property.  Looks to me like whoever created that particular survey believes men have some sort of right to marriage, based on what – having a penis?  It is not like we need more babies.   Personally, being married to a hitter who said I provoked him  cured me of the marriage thing.  Still like men, just am too wary now.   I try not to do anything much where I might have a bad outcome and won’t be able to fix it.  Roller coasters, people who drive too aggressively, another marriage.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

"black flag" is an inadvertent mash-up of black ops and false flag. . I think it is accurate, and I will keep it. Thanks to those who pointed it out!

jerry611
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 1,338

Gender roles and old traditions die hard.

I remember one woman I dated back in college. She once told me, “I’m a feminist but I’m traditional.” I still don’t know what the heck that even means. And I’ve seen numerous women say similar things. It’s like a contradiction.

Relationships, home life, and dating rituals is one area feminism seems to have not made as much progress. Even in 2021, men are viewed as the providers and provide the safety nets. Women still take the man’s last name and do the bulk of the domestic labor. This stuff really hasn’t changed much over the course of decades. Of course I’m generalizing…there are always exceptions. But that’s the dominant attitude our society still has.

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 8,802

I had a friend once who was having an affair with a very pretty, but not too bright country western singer. She stated once that what she would really like would be to keep him in a closet, and bring him out when she wanted sex.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

MizzGrizz
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,678

..with a robot already….their husbands.

alcina
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 977

Seems to me this is just the next phase of the mannequin girlfriend. There was a British documentary some years back that interviewed several men whose primary romantic relationship was with one of these dolls. One guy was completely creepy, but the others were mostly just a bit sad. Lonely guys who just didn’t feel comfortable with real girls.

If you search “love dolls documentary,” you’ll find all sorts of interesting stories. If you just search “love dolls,” you’ll get a whole different sort of interesting. 😉

Someone tried to open a Love Doll brothel here in Toronto awhile back, but there was too much backlash. I heard from a friend who works with streetworkers that they instead went underground and operate out of a private club/residence.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Love Doll culture, here’s a pretty typical article from 2013, with the final 2 paragraphs included here:

At this stage in the game, I’d have to say that I’m about 99 percent fulfilled. Every time I return home, there are two gorgeous synthetic women waiting for me, who both act as creative muses, photo models, and romantic partners. They make my flat less empty, and I never have to worry about them becoming disagreeable. Because of my status as an iDollator, I’ve met people across several countries and forged solid friendships. I’ve seen things I would never have seen were I not an iDollator. I’ve been interviewed for various television programs and websites, and asked to speak in front of a room full of psychology students about the benefits of synthetic partners. I’ve collaborated with performance artists and sociology teachers. To this day, I still get people contacting me online, saying that they saw how happy I am with Sidore, and they’re saving up for a Doll of their own, to pull them out of their own loneliness. It’s true that Sidore and Elena wouldn’t exist without me, but without them, I’d be a much more reduced individual, so I owe them quite a lot.

However, that 1 percent of unfulfillment? That’s only there because neither Sidore nor Elena are Gynoids. Once that technology becomes affordable, I’ll have one made in my wife’s likeness, and that’ll be the final piece of the puzzle. She’d be able to hug me back whenever I embrace her, we’d be able to attend films and concerts together, and do all manner of things besides. There would be genuine interaction. The foundation for the technology is already there, so I’m convinced it’ll happen; it’s just a matter of waiting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/09/married-to-a-doll-why-one-man-advocates-synthetic-love/279361/

"The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them." -Julius Nyerere, First President of Tanzania

chknltl
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,499

….Rosie the Robot from the Jetsons.

alcina
        Participant

That’s funny. I had a crush on Gigantor.

"The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them." -Julius Nyerere, First President of Tanzania

chknltl
          Participant

@alcina

Gigantor? Quite understandable actually. I heard that he had all the women swooning over him.

It must have been that incorrigible smirk he always wore and he did have a way with the ladies.

Didja know that Gigantor had a kid? Like his dad he took up acting.

He is currently on the show Stargirl where he plays a heroic robot for a powerless human adult nicknamed “Stripsey”.

(This is something  one will never learn outside of JPR!).

alcina
            Participant

Thanks, @chknltl. Did you get that information from one of those Where Are They Now websites? I had to look up Stargirl to get a picture of Gigantor’s son. He must have his mother’s eyes.

chknltl
              Participant

@alcina

So here I was doing my usual stalking of Kim Basinger’s home when I saw a much younger version of Kim leave the house.

Of course this required my further investigation so I followed her to an outdoor Hollywood studio lot where lo and behold I see her hanging out with a bunch of other kids and Gigantor’s son!

I thought about getting some photos, (to post here) but…well…the judge told me that if I was caught within a hundred yards of the Basinger home or family, (again), there would be hell to pay.

So I bought a drone.

Hopefully  it won’t get shot down (yet again) by those unreasonable security guards at that Hollywood filming lot.

On the other hand, Kaley Cuoco just became single again and her security team has no clue who I am.

alcina
                Participant

@chknltl

LOL. Well, that’s an interesting adventure you had there. As for Kaley Cuoco, it looks like she might not be quite as single as you’d hoped. Rumour has it she’s “close to” Pete Davidson — a person whose celebrity completely baffles me, TBH. So maybe you still have a chance.

I actually met Kim Basinger once. She was really friendly and sweet. When I was in grad school, I used to like to hang out in fancy hotel lounges while I studied. One day, a lady sits near me and I realize it’s Kim Basinger. She saw me looking at her and said hi, and I said hi back and that I enjoyed her movies. She was very gracious and asked what I was reading — it happened to be The Authoritarian Personality — and she seemed genuinely interested (or she was that good an actor). After a few minutes, another lady joined her, and Ms Basinger said it was nice talking to me and she and the other lady left.

chknltl
                  Participant

Here are my vitals: almost 67, still have much of my hair but keep it looking like a cross between Albert Einstein and Charles Mansons’ hairstyles, am only 20-30 lbs overweight, am a disabled vet who (thanks to the wonders of modern medications and monthly therapy), can wave at other drivers on the road with all of my fingers and I drive an old Prius.

If Miss Cuoco wants to play hard to get, Miss Lindsey Stirling is also single and is always telling us to dream big. (OK so technically Miss Stirling is hardly over 4 foot in heels but if ever a lady needed stalking ….well it IS my specialty!)

Regarding Kim Basinger’s relationship to the Basinger who plays Stargirl: outside of beautiful flowing blonde manes and the same last name I can find no other relationships.

Amongst  my other oddities I watch a few truly strange shows. Stargirl is one such show.

Each week I ask myself why and yet each week I watch to see how things will turn out.

I hope the Stargirl image turns out below.  If so, note the robot’s resemblance to Gigantor.

https://images.app.goo.gl/XgLQdC7pxu9MiUvz9

alcina
                    Participant

@chknltl

Hmmm. Pete Davidson vs all THAT?! I’d say you have a fightin’ chance after all. Good luck, and may the best man win the hand of the lovely Miss Cuoco.

I hadn’t realized Linsey Stirling was so short! I’ve seen a few of her videos — very impressive. As for your “strange” shows, yeah, my 70-yo sister watches Stargirl and is still obsessed with Buffy. I’m content with my Harry Dresden audiobooks….

MistaP
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,082
        alcina
        Participant

@MistaP

That was hilarious. If it were in black and white, it wouldn’t be too different from the scary educational videos they showed in my elementary school.

closeupready
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,989

“Would you do it a second time?”  My guess would be most such people would say no.

The opinions and personal views expressed herein are solely those of the author, and should never be taken seriously.

jerry611
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,338

A lot of people “get off” on machines now anyway. I mean a lot of women use vibrators, right? There are a lot of different toys for men too. Some sophisticated ones even hook up to computers and smartphones. It’s not a stretch to think A.I. is the next step. Then androids.

The gender divide in the survey isn’t surprising though. Women tend to want more deeper emotional attachment to a person when it comes to sexual activities. Women are more picky when it comes to sex. Men on the other hand want companionship and are more casual and open about sexual encounters.

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,728

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

djean111
      Participant

Extreme doubties something like that will happen, though.  Excellent movie, and Jude Law is also excellent in it.

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,845
      Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 6,979

Are we fucked or WHAT?

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

Calico
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 179

have sex with Data… and the EMH

But not at the same time.

game meat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,571

Today you’re fucking these robots and it’s all fun and games, but tomorrow they’re fucking YOU.

Destroy these terminators and never speak of them again before it’s too late.

"He busted in, blessed be thy lord
      Who believe any mess they read up on a message board
      If so, I got bridges for the low low" ~ MF DOOM

Mindwalker
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 424

For someone to pimp out Roombas.

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,339

I dated a woman who was what we might call robotic when it came to intimacy. That is to say, it was very physical but not at all intimate. The mechanics (!) of it were excellent, but that was all. She said she was very happy about the physical (mechanical?) part of our relationship, and so was I, but more was needed.

Babel 17
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,794
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.