Home Main Forums Latest Breaking News 5.8 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes off Japan's East Coast

• LaaDeeDaaVA (2744 posts)
    Profile photo of LaaDeeDaaVA

5.8 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes off Japan's East Coast

5.8 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes off Japan’s East Coast, 11/13/2017

[In 2011, a tremor] measuring 9.1 in magnitude, devastated the country causing the deaths of approximately 15,894 people.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) the tremor, with a depth of 5.9 miles, hit 218 miles east of Sendai city.

USGS initially reported the quake as measuring 6.1 in magnitude, but later revised it down. <SNIP>

Japan lays on the dreaded Ring of Fire – faults lines which incubate earthquake activity.

Quakes were also reported in Costa Rica as well as the Iraq-Iran border. The latter resulted in the deaths of several dozen people and the injury of hundreds.

MORE:

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/5.8-Magnitude-Earthquake-Strikes-off-Japans-East-Coast-20171113-0007.html

Pastiche, OCMI, Marym625 and 3 othersPADemD, Haikugal, Enthusiast like this
    Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.   A. J. Liebling

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
17 replies
  • Enthusiast (10167 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

1. Whoa!

Hopefully the giant earthquakes of the past will not be revisited any time soon.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat, 1848
    • LaaDeeDaaVA (2744 posts)
      Profile photo of LaaDeeDaaVA

2. 3 quakes in one day

Seeking more info on these three, and how synchrony of tectonic plate movements may help explain them. A type of chain reaction?  Hard to believe that they are not somehow related.

Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, 6.5 Magnitude

https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/magnitude-6-5-earthquake-rocks-pacific-coast-of-costa-rica/

Iraq-Iran Quake, 7.3 Magnitude; 335 Dead, Nearly 4,000 Injured

https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/335-dead-nearly-4000-injured-in-7-3-magnitude-iraq-iran-quake/

Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.   A. J. Liebling

3. The prospects are frightening. We are at the mercy of the earth's

random geological forces.

The Yellowstone caldera is cause for concern. We can see from the evidence that past volcanoes and earthquakes have been devastating.

Ashfall:  http://ashfall.unl.edu/

http://outdoornebraska.gov/ashfall/

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat, 1848
        • Aldroud (636 posts)
          Profile photo of Aldroud

8. Yellowstone is what keeps me awake at night

My family is in Alabama, so they’ll survive the eruption.  It’s the falling ash and nuclear winter effect that worries me.  Thinking seriously hard about stockpiling a year’s worth of those emergency rations.

12. Yeah. Anything can happen from Yellowstone or

another super volcano, extreme drought to political upheaval. I think it’s a good idea to have a supply of clean water and food. We haven’t done it yet but are seriously considering it.

• elias39 (3939 posts)
        Profile photo of elias39 Donor

5. Whole lot of shakin going on. I noticed, too.

“Name, no, nothing is nameable, tell, no, nothing can be told, what then, I don't know, I shouldn't have begun.” ― Samuel Beckett, Stories and Texts for Nothing
  • Art from Ark (2989 posts)
    Profile photo of Art from Ark

4. The Japanese earthquake was no big deal

It was well offshore, and the greatest intensity on land was barely enough to rattle a chandelier.

The last time America was run like a business, we ended up with a Great Depression.
    • joentokyo (642 posts)
      Profile photo of joentokyo

6. Saying there was an earthquake in Japan is like saying we are having weather

unless it is really big and not far offshore.

“For what can war, but endless war, still breed?” ~John Milton

14. Yup

Yahoo Weather- Japan shows 4 other earthquakes that occurred in Japan just on the same day as this one, and 70+ that have occurred in this month alone, including a 6.1 that occurred off the coast of Hachijo Island a few days ago.

The last time America was run like a business, we ended up with a Great Depression.
  • Marym625 (26281 posts)
    Profile photo of Marym625 Admin

7. I can't help but think

Humans are at least partially responsible for some of this. I can’t imagine that sucking fluids out of the earth isn’t causing major destruction

"Once the decision was made to go into Iraq as an invader and occupier,  it’s like our nation lost its conscience. And it has not yet gotten that conscience back." Madfloridian  
    • Aldroud (636 posts)
      Profile photo of Aldroud

9. We don't drill that deep. This is tectonic motion on the upper magma

Not everything is our fault.

• Peace Patriot (2610 posts)
        Profile photo of Peace Patriot Donor

11. What is our fault is not being prepared and not being preventive.

For instance, placing nuclear power plants on the seacoast in the “Ring of Fire” in Japan.  What madness!

Whether some earthquakes are the result of human activity or not (and those in frakking regions very likely ARE caused by the frakking), what we can do is be prepared for those natural disasters that we cannot yet prevent – prepared to give aid, prepared with protective infrastructure, prepared by wise decisions about what NOT to do in earthquake regions or hurricane regions, etc., prepared with warning systems, and prepared by using our public money for science and engineering that helps people rather than for war and profiteering.

And who knows if we are at fault for what appear to be natural disasters?  Our corporate/war profiteer rulers are in the habit of LYING to us about their impacts.  They have been doing that about climate change for decades!  One of their lies is that climate change is “natural.”

People have been deforesting their settlement areas for millennia, with devastating environmental consequences – consequences so dire that the whole culture is destroyed.  But – although some philosophers like Plato noticed and criticized such destructiveness – most people didn’t understand what they were doing.  They were “surviving” in their view – until they weren’t.  They were creating civilization – until their civilization collapsed over resource issues.

But, more recently, our corporate/predatory-capitalist kulture has put us “in denial” about the impacts of their profiteering activities – pollution of all kinds, destruction of habitat and loss of biodiversity, toxic pesticide decimation of bee colonies, loss of clean water, overuse of antibiotics creating resistant infection strains, cancer-causing hormone-infused animal food, and now, devastating climate changes – so that many people don’t understand what is happening – can’t see it, are disinformed.  Climate change impacts are NOT “natural.”  They are man-made.  Scientists know this.  Some of us non-scientists know this.  But our society as a whole is very ill-prepared for dealing with the consequences of climate change – or slowing it down – because we have been lied to.

So don’t be so quick to let us off the hook when what appear to be natural disasters occur.  In Northern California, recently, we had a horrendous firestorm that burned thousands of homes.  Was that a “natural disaster” or was it caused by PG&E neglecting power infrastructure and investors pocketing the profits of neglect?   It’s looking very like the latter is true.  It wasn’t “natural.”  It was the result of human settlement in fire-prone areas and then neglect and profiteering from neglect of the infrastructure that supports those human communities.  (The fires appear to have been caused by downed PG&E wires in what were normal, expectable high winds.)  The story of the floods in Houston is very similar.  Neglect, lack of regulation, profiteering.  The floods are “natural” for that area, in long-term time-frames.  But the building quite deliberately ignored the long term picture and the very plain evidence, written in the landscape, that heavy flooding WILL occur.

• Marym625 (26281 posts)
        Profile photo of Marym625 Admin

13. Ya never know.

:)

"Once the decision was made to go into Iraq as an invader and occupier,  it’s like our nation lost its conscience. And it has not yet gotten that conscience back." Madfloridian  

15. We drill deep enough to cause earthquakes in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Ohio,

and Pennsylvania.

• Gryneos (1862 posts)
          Profile photo of Gryneos

16. That's a different kind of drilling, though.

Fracking takes place in strata that’s already been tapped with ‘normal’ old-style methods of oil well drilling. The earthquakes are being caused by what happens to the land when you cause fractures down there. Basically, fracking causes violent subsidence.

Oil doesn’t exist at the strata-level of magma. Such heat would have vaporized it long ago. That, or turned it into diamonds.

"That's Jeff Vader, that is."__"I am not Jeff Vader, I am Darth Vader."__"What, Jeff Vader runs the Deathstar?"__"No, Jeff… No, I run the Deathstar."__"You Jeff Vader?"__"No, I'm Darth Vader!"__"Are you his brother? Can you get his autograph?"__"I can't get it… No, I'm… All right, I'm Jeff Vader! I'm Jeff Vader!"__"Can I have your autograph?"__"No, fuck off, or I'll kill you with a tray! Give me penne a la arabiata or you shall die. And you, and everyone in this canteen! Death by tray it shall be!" Eddie Izzard, Circle
  • closeupready (1762 posts)
    Profile photo of closeupready Donor

10. I binged on the "Alien" film franchise this past weekend; fittingly, it occurred

to me (in considering the incomprehensibly vast distances at play in the films) that the Earth could theoretically be atomized within seconds, at any time, and it would happen so fast that by the time at which we understood what was happening, it would long since have been over.

Which is to say that 3 mildish earthquakes in one day … what is that really, in perspective?

The opinions and views expressed herein are solely those of the author.
  • davidpdx (123 posts)
    Profile photo of davidpdx

17. There were 6 here in Korea today

There were preshocks and aftershocks, but the main one was 5.5. The epicenter was in Pohang, but we felt it up here in Seoul.