5 Ways the Canadian Health Care System Is Better Than Obamacare

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Universal Healthcare / Medicare For All | 5 Ways the Canadian Health Care System Is Better Than Obamacare

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      eridani
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,467

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/12/26/25-ways-canadian-health-care-system-better-obamacare

Number 4: In Canada, people look forward to the benefits of early retirement. In the United States, people delay retirement to 65 to avoid being uninsured.

Number 3: In Canada, Nobel Prize winners hold on to their medal and pass it down to their children and grandchildren. In the United States, Nobel Prize winners sell their medals to pay for their medical bills. Leon Lederman won a Nobel Prize in 1988 for his pioneering physics research. But in 2015, the physicist, who passed away in November 2018, sold his Nobel Prize medal for $765,000 to pay his mounting medical bills. According to a report in Vox, the University of Chicago professor began to suffer from memory loss in 2011, and died in an Idaho nursing home.

Number 2: In Canada, the system is simple. You get a health care card when you are born. And you swipe it when you go to a doctor or hospital. End of story. In the United States, Obamacare’s 2,500 pages plus regulations (the Canadian Medicare Bill was 13 pages) is so complex that then Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said before passage “we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.”

Number 1: In Canada, the majority of citizens love their health care system. In the United States, a growing majority of citizens, physicians, and nurses prefer the Canadian type system – Medicare-for-all, free choice of doctor and hospital , everybody in, nobody out and far less expensive.

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 5,839

Article says 25 ways. Seriously, why do we feel the need to reinvent the wheel? Other countries, including Canada, have done it for us. National, single payer health care could be implemented within a year.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Joe Shlabotnik
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 864

The article is fairly accurate, however I take issue with point number 4 about Canadians retiring early.  That ain’t happening, but they correctly state that our health care isn’t tied to employment.  Canadians are working longer just like Americans, because of the same increasingly precarious job market.  Also in Canada, for most working class people their job can provide them with Dental and Prescription benefits, that are not covered by our universal care unless one is poor or retired.

Most of the complaints about our system are from conservative wealthy types that think they should be able to purchase a ticket to the front of the line.  Its true that in extreme rural/remote areas, there is a shortage of doctors and facilities, but they dishonestly apply this argument to the rest of the system which is quite well staffed and state of the art.

~ All good things are Wild and Free ~

eridani
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 6,467

I understand that drugs weren’t added in the early 70s because at the time they were not that big a part of health care costs.

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

Joe Shlabotnik
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 864

You are probably right, but I don’t know for sure if that’s the case. We actually adopted universal health care in the early 60’s, and drug costs would have probably  lower then. If it was tweaked in the 70’s it wouldn’t surprise me because Trudeau the 1st was a proto-neoliberal.

~ All good things are Wild and Free ~

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.