Home Main Forums Latest Breaking News 53 Alabama pastors urging voters to support Roy Moore

• LaaDeeDaaVA (2744 posts)
    Profile photo of LaaDeeDaaVA

53 Alabama pastors urging voters to support Roy Moore

53 Alabama pastors urging voters to support Roy Moore, 11/13/2017

More than 50 Alabama pastors signed a letter urging Alabama voters to support Roy Moore in next month’s Senate election, despite sexual allegations against the conservative judge that have surfaced over the last several days.

“For decades, Roy Moore has been an immovable rock in the culture wars — a bold defender of the ‘little guy,’ a just judge to those who came before his court, a warrior for the unborn child, defender of the sanctity of marriage, and a champion for religious liberty,” the pastors wrote. “Judge Moore has stood in the gap for us, taken the brunt of the attack, and has done so with a rare, unconquerable resolve.”

The letter was first shared by Kayla Moore, the judge’s wife, on her Facebook page, and was published by AL.com.

Five women so far have accused Moore of pursuing sexual and romantic relations with them when they were teenagers and he was in his 30s. One woman, Leigh Corfman, said Moore initiated sexual contact with her when she was 14 years old. Moore was in his early 30s at the time and working as an assistant district attorney.

MORE:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/53-alabama-pastors-urging-voters-to-support-roy-moore/article/2640544

Haikugal, Enthusiast, PennLawyer and 2 othersxynthee, Punxsutawney like this
    Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.   A. J. Liebling

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
10 replies
  • RufusTFirefly (2422 posts)
    Profile photo of RufusTFirefly Donor

1. I think there is a powerful biblical precedent for their position

After all, the Holy Book is chock full of instances where women are cruelly victimized. Therefore, it’s OK. QED

• LaaDeeDaaVA (2744 posts)
      Profile photo of LaaDeeDaaVA

7. True. There is also precedent to show Moore is unfit or

unqualified, perhaps both, for any seat in Congress.

Moore has, on at least 4 occasions, sworn to abide by, uphold and defend the U.S. Constitution – when he received his license to practice law, when he became District Attorney, and twice when sworn in as Chief Justice of Alabama’s Supreme Court.

He refused to abide by a Federal court order, and was removed from his position as Chief Judge on the Alabama Supreme Court in 2003. He was reelected to the same position in 2013, and suspended 3 years later for directing state judges not to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples, in defiance of a then recent decision by the U.S. Supreme Court.

By his actions, it’s clear that Moore believes that in his official capacity as the Chief Judge of the state’s highest court, he need not abide by the Rule of Law, refused orders to do so, and twice violated his oath as an attorney, and as a elected judicial officer in a court of law.

What are these pastors thinking??

Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.   A. J. Liebling

• Enthusiast (10167 posts)
      Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

8. This is true.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat, 1848
    • jwirr (3849 posts)
      Profile photo of jwirr Donor

9. Attitudes towards women do come from the church and it extends to this as well.

• elias39 (3939 posts)
    Profile photo of elias39 Donor

2. Tells me more than I need to know about Alabama I'm afraid.

Please Alabamanites! Don’t take it personally.

“Name, no, nothing is nameable, tell, no, nothing can be told, what then, I don't know, I shouldn't have begun.” ― Samuel Beckett, Stories and Texts for Nothing
    • Aldroud (635 posts)
      Profile photo of Aldroud

4. I don't. I cannot abide hypocracy

Jesus wouldnt recignize these charletims

• Satan (2880 posts)
        Profile photo of Satan Donor

5. JC would be scheduling 54 one way boat rides for Roy and his pastor friends.

He would probably have to reproduce the millstones like He did with the loaves & fishes though, since 54 millstones might be hard to find in the modern era.

Fuck Kamala Harris. Fuck Borey Crooker. Fuck Joy Reid. And FUCK Hillary Clinton & her husband for destroying the Demoncratic Party.
  • Hobbit709 (2906 posts)
    Profile photo of Hobbit709 Donor

3. It's Aladamnbama.

I won't shut up and I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing
  • Entrepreneur (2132 posts)
    Profile photo of Entrepreneur Donor

6. If there wasn't already a stereotype of dimwitted right-wing religious kook

hypocrites this story would inspire one.

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness" - J.K. Galbraith
  • ravensong (1725 posts)
    Profile photo of ravensong Donor

10. What Is It About Religion That Fosters Abuse?

Abuse is still rife in religion. Earlier this year, the Methodist Church of Britain released an “unreserved apology” for failing to protect children and adults, following a report that uncovered 1,885 alleged incidents of abuse in the Church dating back to the 1950s. Ministers and lay employees are said to have been involved in 25 percent of cases, with over half of those involving ministers being of a sexual nature. There are six ongoing police investigations.

Modern history has been riddled with revelations of religious child abuse. Almost every week brings with it a story relating to some scandal somewhere. Though not an exclusively modern problem, it’s been tasked to us to fix, a task not always welcomed by authorities and religions themselves; inevitably, with many reports of abuse comes one of denial and coverup. It’s because of this that, before we solve this problem, we must first tackle the link between religion and child abuse, and establish whether—with religion not going anywhere soon—we’re simply wasting our time cleaning up institutions that are endemically abusive.
    snip—

So what’s causing this abuse? In reality, “religion” is a generalized term. Better to specify what kind of religion—or, better still, what kind of culture—fosters it, and how there are varying degrees. Janet Heimlich, one of the world’s foremost authors on the topic and writer of the book Breaking Their Will: Shedding Light on Religious Child Maltreatment, says children are more vulnerable to abuse and neglect if they live in religious authoritarian cultures.

“There are three perfect-storm factors that identify a religious culture or community as authoritarian: One, the culture has a strict, social hierarchy. Two, the culture is fearful. And three, the culture is separatist,” she told the Huffington Post in 2011. “The more intense these three factors are—the more authoritarian the culture is – the more likely children will be harmed.”

(bold edit mine)

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/avykzz/child-abuse-and-the-church-666

Never let your family, most especially your children, get anywhere near conservative religious crazies

Together, together, my friends, we have begun a political revolution to transform America, and that revolution, our revolution, continues. ~ Bernie