56% of Brits (vs 35%) want the UK to stay in the EU. Sorry, Brits, that 2016 gave you Brexit (eventually you even got Boris Johnson) and gave us Trump.

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | 56% of Brits (vs 35%) want the UK to stay in the EU. Sorry, Brits, that 2016 gave you Brexit (eventually you even got Boris Johnson) and gave us Trump.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      peacecorps
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,040

We do get to do a do-over this year. Too bad for you, yours was a one-way, not-to-be-repeated referendum the result of which you are stuck with as long as you keep Conservative like Johnson in power and until you elect a truly progressive government.

It does appear that Ireland is the least likely country to join in your Brexit madness. Good luck drawing a border/no border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

And of course the liberals in Scotland want no part of the UK or Brexit but another referendum for them is out of the question too. Right? Once a referendum goes the conservative way, any more referendum are ‘anti-democratic’ or something like that.

They are called 'human' rights not "if politicians do not feel threatened" rights. Many politicians see national sovereignty/security as more important because they protect their power and wealth. Human rights often do just the opposite.

National issues (slavery/racism, income inequality, pandemics and pathetic health care, weak unions) are not solved with more states' rights. Global problems (climate change, migration, trade, war, pandemics) are not resolved with more national sovereignty.

closeupready
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,335

The EU is some kind of signatory to how many human rights accords and conventions.  Yet, they have failed miserably to address the abuse of Syrian refugees in Greece and elsewhere in Europe.  Greece has asked for help from the EU in building humanitarian infrastructure and processing asylum applications, starting years ago; yet, no real help has been forthcoming.  They live in camps without proper sanitation or hygiene, without freedom of movement, and the EU has done nothing.

If we assume that they believe that Syrian refugees deserve to be treated equally, then this is a MASSIVE failure of leadership.

I see no compelling reason to change course and remain a member.  Just let Brexit take its course.  When and if the EU reforms, rejoin.  I certainly would have concerns about joining the EU as it functions currently.

And no, I am not going to respond to a point-by-point critique, so save it.  Just posting my own thoughts and opinions, cheers.

EDIT:  After posting, I looked at the poll.  Chuckling at the omission of Greece from their little poll.  Aha!

The opinions and personal views expressed herein are solely those of the author, and should never be taken seriously.

peacecorps
        Participant

have done more than their share and been soundly criticized by the right in their own countries and elsewhere.

Countries ruled by the nativist right (largely but not only in eastern and southern Europe) have not been willing, to say the least, to be equally hospitable to refugees though EU membership requires them to do so. (They want to be members of the EU but “We like the benefits of membership but will try to avoid paying any of the costs”.) That has left the burden unfairly on Greece and Italy when other countries do not do their share. Of course, Trump and Johnson among other RW nativists hate refugees with a passion and will do less than nothing to help the refugee situation.

It looks like there are between 5% and 30% in each European countries who do not want to belong to the EU. You are not alone.

They are called 'human' rights not "if politicians do not feel threatened" rights. Many politicians see national sovereignty/security as more important because they protect their power and wealth. Human rights often do just the opposite.

National issues (slavery/racism, income inequality, pandemics and pathetic health care, weak unions) are not solved with more states' rights. Global problems (climate change, migration, trade, war, pandemics) are not resolved with more national sovereignty.

salemcourt
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,479
      peacecorps
      Participant

If this poll can be shown to have been done in a biased manner of if there are other polls that show a different sentiment among Europeans, I would be interested to know.

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 14,588

I misunderstood you.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.