57 members of Buffalo police riot response team resign

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Latest Breaking News | 57 members of Buffalo police riot response team resign

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 14,723

(Buffalo News) All 57 of the members of the Buffalo Police Department’s Emergency Response Team resigned Friday from the unit which responds to riots and other crowd control situations, the president of the union that represents Buffalo police officers told The Buffalo News.

Two law enforcement sources confirmed the resignations.

Two members of the Emergency Response Team were suspended without pay late Thursday after they involved in pushing a 75-year-old protester to the ground as they were clearing the area in front of Buffalo City Hall at the emergency curfew. The Erie County District Attorney’s Office is investigating the incident. No charges have been filed.

The Emergency Response Team members have not quit the police department, but have stepped down from the tactical unit, according to the sources.

Full story here

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

GZeusH
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,620

They won’t be able to cause the emergency that they were supposed to respond to.

HubHeaver
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 414

They possibly were going to be held accountable for their actions so, they quit.

Page Not Found

N2Doc
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,559

So they can still collect their pay and punish and abuse people as ‘regular’ cops.

daleanime
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 560

The need us to make up their minds for them by firing them.  No half way measures.

When the going gets tough, the tough help each other.

Fasttense
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 864

Maybe they shouldn’t go around abusing anyone near them.

“Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square,”

They were just following orders. Where have we heard that lame excuse before?

Ohio Barbarian

That should be required viewing for everyone. Judgment at Nuremberg will do. It’s a great film.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Voltairine
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,797

This sounds like partial strike. They refuse to continue rioting, in the fear of facing charges and because union is no longer promising to pay their legal fees.

Aloha!

sadoldgirl
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 814

I was afraid that the police unions would use their

power, one way or another. This is the way one

should call blackmail.

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,650

Because they can’t continue to abuse the public without repercussions?

NJCher
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 890

because they’re like a cult. It’s an “us against them” world with the police.

Fuck them. Defund them.

Ohio Barbarian

The latter often personally know their county deputies and small town cops and such, and there’s some trust there. In the cities that trust is fucking gone.

@njcher
      is right. City cops are a sick cult. Many of them are trained by Mossad or with Israeli policing techniques. What we’ve seen in the last week or so is what Palestinians live with on a daily basis. Nobody in their right mind wants that shit here.

Fasttense
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 864

And the very rich probobally still have that kind of relationship.

But, I run a farm and usually hire part time help. They are usually poorer folks who live nearby.

They hate the police. When they get stopped for speeding or other minor violations,  a small fine can grow to thousands of dollars and threats of jail for failure to pay. The cops are looked on as a gang that is allowed to extort money and property from them.

There was an incident recently where this young couple were having an argument. The guy was threatening to kill himself and he goes off into the rural landscape. His wife, worried for his life, calls the police in hopes they could find him. The police arrive, find him up a tree and shoot him. The cops said he wouldn’t come down so they shot him.

His wife is hysterical and will never ask for police help again. And now there are charges, fines and hospital bills they can’t afford. These are the daily interactions with cops and poor rural folks.

Ohio Barbarian

What you said just figures, though–pick on the poor, pick on transients, pick on the vulnerable. Pick on those who don’t have the resources to fight back. And the courts are complicit, too. Our entire criminal injustice system needs to be torn down and rebuilt. It’s just a for-profit travesty now.

Haikugal
            • Total Posts: 1,645

Once you’re tagged for anything they ‘keep an eye on you’ and they’ll pull you over on the off chance they can find something, or make up something, that will end costing thousands of dollars. One speeding ticket can cost $400 and to the poor that’s impossible.`

I agree with OB, our entire justice system needs to be torn down as it’s a travesty. I learned something from this OP and I thank you OB I didn’t realize that was what they were doing.

The DNC “big tent” excludes Nina Turner but includes John Kasich.

HalfCentury Man
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 747

The source of the riots is the riot team. Sue them for the extra pay they scammed the city out of.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy: 13 March 1962.

Captain Arizona
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 168

The police will send out police undercover agent provocateurs like terry norman at kent state who fired his gun to give the excuse for the guard to open fire. When I was going to glendale CC jess lopez a student latinx activist was charged with conspiracy to throw an incendiary device during a protest even though the person who threw the fire bomb was a police undercover agent provocateur who was not charged. He said he had to throw it because the protesters wouldn’t do it! At S.f. airport according to church commission nixon got angry because protestor were too peaceful so trick dick sent in agent provocateurs to throw things at the police. BEWARE!

Enthusiast
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,373

I don’t see this as any great loss.

I would like to remind you that U.S. health insurance companies do not contribute anything to health care. They are only a PARASITIC middle man receiving an undeserved cut of "FREE MONEY".

Me

Thom Paine
      • Total Posts: 259

I am sure that they are showing solidarity with their fellow officers that were suspended.  They are also probably justifiably confused.  They were doing what they are trained to do, be tough, hit hard, and yet the administration that trained them are now pretending this wasn’t approved behavior.   Arresting those directly responsible for specific cases of violence is just token actions that make good publicity at the time but are usually undone after time has passed.   When they claim they were only following orders, the ones giving the orders need to be fired/prosecuted.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.