9-year-old charged with murder in 5 Illinois fire deaths

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Latest Breaking News | 9-year-old charged with murder in 5 Illinois fire deaths

• Author

Judi Lynn
    • Total Posts: 2,773
    @judilynn

Michael Tarm and Ken Kusmer, Associated Press
    Updated 11:50 pm CDT, Tuesday, October 8, 2019

CHICAGO (AP) — A 9-year-old child accused of causing a mobile home fire that killed three children and two adults in central Illinois has been charged with five counts of first-degree murder.

The juvenile also was charged with two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson, the (Peoria) Journal Star reported.

The April 6 fire killed a 1-year-old, two 2-year-olds, a 34-year-old man and a 69-year-old woman at the Timberline Mobile Home Park near the village of Goodfield, about 150 miles (240 kilometers) southwest of Chicago.

. . .

No child as young as this one has been accused in a mass killing since at least 2006, according to the AP/USATODAY/Northeastern University mass murder database. It tracks all U.S. homicides since then in which four or more people were killed (not including the offender) over a short period of time (24 hours), regardless of weapon, location, victim-offender relationship or motive.

More:
    https://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/9-year-old-to-face-5-murder-charges-in-deadly-14501171.php

ElfinWilde
    • Total Posts: 139
    @elfinwilde

“Competentcy?  We don’t need no stinking competentcy!!”  scream the criminal justice officials of the US.

The bar for criminal court competentcy is incredibly in this country.  People who are unable to ever live on their own are sitting in prisons with far longer sentences than those who are far more competent charged with the same crime.  When six year olds are handcuffed and hauled off to juvie for having a temper tantrum, it doesn’t surprise me that a prosecutor is charging a nine year old with mass murder.

The child, regardless of intent, obviously needs help.  A criminal proceeding is not going to provide that.

You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars. You have a right to be here.

Cold Mountain Trail
    • Total Posts: 4,084
    @coldmountaintrail

“It’s a tragedy, but at the end of the day, it’s charging a very young person with one of the most serious crimes we have. But I just think it needs to be done at this point, for finality.”

Yeah, for “finality” that’s the ticket.

Meanwhile, USA war pigs kill children daily without repercussions.

LiberalElite
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 647
    @liberalelite

is he Black?

I feel much better since I gave up hope.

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace." – John Lennon

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.