Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez:To all those saying we “haven’t accomplished anything,” here’s *some* of 2018

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez:To all those saying we “haven’t accomplished anything,” here’s *some* of 2018

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      caliny
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,732

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Total Posts: 69

Winning the election certainly helped HER.  She’s got a good job now – though frankly, tending bar sounds more fun than sitting in meetings.  But her win hasn’t (yet) helped anyone OTHER than her, because as yet she has made no policy.

”Shining a light” on stuff might be a first step toward policy change or helping people , but so far it’s just “light falls; people talk.”

What was the third thing?  She had a committee or something?  Had the word “Green” in it?  And…. what has this actually done for the planet?

I’m willing to wait of course, and to hope for the best.  She hasn’t had a chance to rock the world yet.  I’m not a hater, I just think the swooning is stupid and too reminiscent of 9bama’s lovers.

But ya know, it’s worrisome if she actually thinks “I got a DC job” and “I shine a light on stuff” and “I used the word ‘Green’ “ are accomplishments that actually give Americans an improved standard of living or better health care or protection from domestic violence or help from drug addiction or a reversal of climate change.  I kinda wish she would shut up and not diminish herself with empty Twhetoric.  “Look at all I’ve accomplished!!!” is what Trump crows, too – on the same medium.

djean111
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 4,601

Hopefully, AOC won’t accuse  those who are critical of being misogynists.  Because Bernie, who has actual accomplishments, is criticized 24/7.

Anonymous
          Inactive
          • Total Posts: 69

Judge em on what they accomplish, not what they promise.

3fingerbrown
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 2,831

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc., are a big part of communication with her generation, and others for that matter. As for this particular tweet, I believe it is aimed more at her right wing critics, who have been bashing her non-stop since her election. I also think that she has brought much needed attention to a Green New Deal, paycheck and health care inequality issues, even using herself as an example, and showing the country the absolute corrupting practices of Wall Street execs, and other lobbyists at all these freshman orientation “seminars” where they get access (while you don’t) to your representatives to push their greedy agenda while warning for any policies for working people. But I feel you on the show-me-what-they-do-not-what-they-say attitude, because that is my personal policy with any pol.

All governments lie to their citizen's, but only Americans believe theirs.

Passionate Progressive
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 2,379

co-opts an actual blueprint for systemic change which means it was a revolutionary plan to address and correct problems.

Her plan should be called not green as in vibrant but pea-green formula for intransigence and the hi-jack of meaningful and inspirational initiative.

Her rhetoric does more harm than good – she misleads people into thinking they’re going to get a change of course but all she’s done is rearrange a few deck chairs.  I’m already tired of her.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....Martin Luther King '63

Average Gazoo
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 470

still getting the hang of 3.0

Be the Change

3fingerbrown
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 2,831

on the record, and going forward will have to put up or shut up . In any event her being vocal is much better than the usual keep under the radar, get along to go along types who always end up disappointing everyone.

All governments lie to their citizen's, but only Americans believe theirs.

Cold Mountain Trail
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,778
      a little weird
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 700

Besides the fact that she proved it can be done, just getting rid of a corrupt politician is worth something even if she turns out to be an ineffective legislator.  I also appreciated her giving details about how the corrupting influence of lobbyists get started on new legislators as part of their orientation.  And I think it’s great that she has been talking about a Green New Deal even if nothing came from it.  Just having it as part of the conversation and showing how complicit the establishment dems are in making sure nothing is done is valuable.  As far as legislation goes, of course there’s really not much she can do until next year.

People seem to be either hating on her as a young, entitled millennial who knows nothing or the progressive savior who is going to lead us out of the wilderness.  In reality of course, she’s just one person.  I hope she ends up becoming a progressive leader in Congress.  And I hope she is the first of many people elected from working class backgrounds instead of from the wealthy class.

Cold Mountain Trail
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,778

and the items were items from the campaign season, perfectly reasonable

whats unreasonable is the demands to see legislative accomplishments before the new congress is even sworn in

JustSayin
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 535

a black crook  that ran on hope and (spare) change

1. Won primary ~ask steny
      2. Pushed #GreenNewDeal ~Firmly rejected last I heard
      3. Shone new lvl transparency to gov~ where? DNC is still cheating. But it feels so good to hear that 1  progressive won out of 100’s and WE ARE TAKING OVER

Never expect different result by following the previous steps

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.