April 4, 1968– Bobby Kennedy makes one of the greatest speeches of our time

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | April 4, 1968– Bobby Kennedy makes one of the greatest speeches of our time

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ArtfromArk
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,184

His speech, given in Indianapolis in the wake of Martin Luther King’s assassination, helped to defuse a very explosive situation.

“There’s a new spirit abroad in the land. The old days of ‘grab and greed’ are on their way out. We’re beginning to think of what we owe the other fellow, not just what we’re compelled to give him. The time’s coming… when we shan’t be able to fill our bellies in comfort while others go hungry, sleep in warm beds while others shiver in the cold.... And God willing, we’ll live to see that day…” Basil Rathbone,"Sherlock Holmes Faces Death" (Universal 1943)

ArtfromArk
      Participant

Things might have been much better today if he had been allowed to become president.

“There’s a new spirit abroad in the land. The old days of ‘grab and greed’ are on their way out. We’re beginning to think of what we owe the other fellow, not just what we’re compelled to give him. The time’s coming… when we shan’t be able to fill our bellies in comfort while others go hungry, sleep in warm beds while others shiver in the cold.... And God willing, we’ll live to see that day…” Basil Rathbone,"Sherlock Holmes Faces Death" (Universal 1943)

ElfinWilde
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 279

those who would hold power by whatever needs necessary.

You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars. You have a right to be here.

ArtfromArk
        Participant

The USA lost SO much on June 5-6, 1968. And on April 4, 1968 as well.

RufusTFirefly
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,484

I was just mentioning this speech in conversation for precisely the reason you posted it.

Coincidentally, two of my all-time favorite speeches were delivered on April 4. This is one of them. The other was delivered exactly a year earlier at the Riverside Church.

“…I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today—my own government. For the sake of those boys, for the sake of this government, for the sake of hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence, I cannot be silent.”

ArtfromArk
      Participant

Things that could have been… And to think that so many of my generation, who would have supported such things back then, are now firmly on the “dark side”…

ravensong
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,222

that murdered hope and turned the US into a flat out fascist nation forever.

It was the one single event in my lifetime that turned the tide and sent everything in this country to fascist hell.

I cried in bed for hours that dark day.

“A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority.” ~ Booker T. Washington

The truth is, there’s no such thing as being “anti-Fascist.” Either you are a decent human being with a conscience, or you are a fascist.
      ~ Unknown

ArtfromArk
      Participant

but they really threw a lot of crap in his path, and saddled him with that idiot Zbigniew Brzezinski, who talked him into actively opposing the Soviet incursion in Afghanistan, and Henry Kissinger, who talked him into letting the deposed Shah of Iran into the USA, which triggered the takeover of the US Embassy in Tehran and ultimately led to Carter’s ignominious defeat in the next election.

ArtfromArk
      Participant

This song always makes me break out in tears

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.