[Article] – SRS Report – 50,000 Tons Of Non-Recyclable Wind Turbine Blades Dumped In The Landfill

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | [Article] – SRS Report – 50,000 Tons Of Non-Recyclable Wind Turbine Blades Dumped In The Landfill

• Author

ThouArtThat
    • Total Posts: 2,027
    @thouartthat

THE RENEWABLE GREEN ENERGY MYTH: 50,000 Tons Of Non-Recyclable Wind Turbine Blades Dumped In The Landfill

Funny, no one seemed to consider what to do with the massive amount of wind turbine blades once they reached the end of their lifespan.  Thus, the irony of the present-day Green Energy Movement is the dumping of thousands of tons of “non-recyclable” supposedly renewable wind turbine blades in the country’s landfills.

Who would have thought? What’s even worse, is that the amount of wind turbine blades slated for waste disposal is forecasted to quadruple over the next fifteen years as a great deal more blades reach their 15-20 year lifespan.  Furthermore, the size and length of the newly installed wind turbine blades are now twice as large as they were 20-30 years ago.

Honestly, I hadn’t considered the tremendous amount of waste generated by the so-called “Renewable” wind power industry until a long-term reader sent me the link to the following article, Landfill begins burying non-recyclable Wind Turbine Blades:

Wyoming isn’t the only landfill accepting worn-out wind turbine blades.  They are also being dumped in IOWA and SOUTH DAKOTA.  Although, there’s probably a lot more landfills across the country, especially in Texas, that are accepting old wind turbine blades.  Texas has the largest amount of wind-generated energy in the United States at 27,036 MegaWatts, followed by Iowa (8,965 MW), Oklahoma (8,072 MW), Kansas (6,128 MW), and California (5,842 MW). (source: Wikipedia)

Snip …

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
    - John F. Kennedy

"In a Time of Universal Deceit - Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act."
    - George Orwell

"They must find it difficult ... Those who have taken authority as the truth,
    Rather than truth as the authority."
    - Gerald Massey

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
    - Jiddu Krishnamurti

incognito
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 2,910
    @incognito

Why do blades go to landfills? Why can’t they be repaired? And why wouldn’t they be made out of material that lasts forever?

Why can’t they be recycled to make something else? Homes for the homeless? Make new roads with the material? Make fences? Something can be made out of them!

IMCPO, that should have been the first thing on their drawing board. ESPECIALLY for something like wind turbines.

ThouArtThat
      @thouartthat

@incognito

Hi incognito,

Wind turbine blades are made from moldable fibers (fiberglass, carbon fiber, kevlar, aramid)  set with epoxies in female molds and then cured in high temperature autoclaves.  This is similar to the methods used to manufacture modern motorboats and sailboats.  The blades are made with these materials because it is the only way to achieve the required airfoil shapes for efficiency at the required strength and weight.  These blades are similar to the high-tech wings now used on many jet airliners.

The whole construct is completely dependent on Fossil Fuels because all of the input materials rely on oil for manufacture – fibers, foams, epoxies and Gelcoat.  In other words we will never make new wind turbine blades from the electricity generated by existing wind turbines.  Electricity alone is not sufficient.  This is one of the fallacies never mentioned when these renewable technologies are discussed.

The blades cannot be repaired because they grow weaker as a unit over time since the epoxy and fabrics form a unified matrix which is the basis for much of the structures strength.  Eventually, the blades become unsafe to operate because of stress fatigue.  As the article pointed out, the blades are now so big that they cannot be crushed or pulverized.  They can only be buried.

Here is a picture of a blade being transported to provide some perspective on size.

TAT

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
      - John F. Kennedy

- George Orwell

- Gerald Massey

- Jiddu Krishnamurti

ravensong
      Donor
      • Total Posts: 1,473
      @ravensong

Would a nationalized (publicly owned and operated) recycling system be a constructive, viable alternative to dumping the blades in a landfill?  Could this not only dramatically reduce amount of waste, and cost, of disposal, but also provide many jobs, while at the same time drastically reducing the negative effects on the environment?

Make this part of the Green New Deal?

Texas Manufacturing Plant Gives New Life To Old Blades

The manufacturing plant in Sweetwater, TX, currently produces manufacturing-grade pellets under the brand name EcoPoly Pellets. According to a GFS press release, they are “thermoplastic fiberglass pellet usable in injection mold and extrusion manufacturing processes.” The EcoPoly Pellets are made in part from recycled wind turbine blade material, giving new life to the blades that were previously viewed as unrecyclable.

In the press release, GFS states explains this recycled pellet “represents the company’s innovation in repurposing waste material (decommissioned wind turbine blades) into green manufactured products that are commercially viable.”

GFS also has plans to improve the productivity of its plant in Sweetwater, TX. Currently, the plant is capable of processing two to three tons per hour (approximately two to three blades per day). However, the company hopes this will increase to eight tons per hour by the end of 2019.

In addition, corporations across the globe are searching for green disposal options for turbine blades. Veolia, a German global utilities and waste management company, has also found that decommissioned blades can be crushed and burned along with other components in cement kilns. Through this process, the blades transform into solid fuel that can be used in the cement industry and replace traditional fossil fuels.

https://www.chooseenergy.com/news/article/wind-turbine-blades-cause-issue-with-waste/

Promote Freedom From Religion, and Separation of Church and State.

See how much you will pay for Healthcare under Bernie Sanders Medicare for All plan:
      https://www.mfacalc.com/
      Together, together, my friends, we have begun a political revolution to transform America, and that revolution, our revolution, continues! ~ Bernie

N2Doc
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 5,591
    @n2doc

N2Doc
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 5,591
    @n2doc

GM to relaunch a greener Hummer with the help of LeBron James: report

One of the most notorious gas guzzlers of the 1990s looks set to get a comeback – and this time in green.

General Motors is reportedly set to relaunch its gargantuan Hummer sport utility vehicles but with an electric engine. According to the Wall Street Journal GM has enlisted the NBA superstar LeBron James to promote its return with plans to air a commercial during the Super Bowl next month.

The Hummer started life as a civilian version of the Humvee, the vehicles used by the US military during the 1989 invasion of Panama and the Gulf war in the early 1990s.

more

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/10/gm-relaunch-greener-hummer-lebron-james

ThouArtThat
      @thouartthat

@n2doc

Hi n2doc,

Time to re-invade Bolivia since that country has the largest deposits of Lithium necessary for the Hummer batteries.

I think John Bolton is free.  We’ll get him right on it.

TAT

- John F. Kennedy

- George Orwell

- Gerald Massey

- Jiddu Krishnamurti

incognito
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 2,910
    @incognito

@thouartthat

“blades are now so big that they cannot be crushed or pulverized.  They can only be buried.”

That makes zero sense. That’s why wrecking balls exist. You can’t tell me skyscrapers can be brought down when their bones are made of steel beams, but fiberglass turbines can’t be broken down into smaller, workable pieces. Seriously. That makes no sense.

This should be some Progressive entrepreneur’s business… Coming up with a way to break down the fiberglass blades and make something else with them.

This is really disturbing and, honestly, hypocritical for the clean energy industry.

While we are told to reuse, recycle and reduce, they don’t. And they don’t on a MASSIVE level.

It hurts the movement too.

KenTankerous
    • Total Posts: 662
    @kentankerous

Our ingenuity needs to turn it up a notch. This is terrible.

"If we define an American fascist as one who in case of conflict puts money and power ahead of human beings, then there are undoubtedly several million fascists in the United States."
    - Henry A. Wallace

RufusTFirefly
    • Total Posts: 1,650
    @rufustfirefly

Further proof that the “Green Dream” is delusional and that climate change is a Chinese hoax.

Oh, and did I mention the one about Al Gore’s gigantic “compound”?

:sarcasm:

djean111
    • Total Posts: 3,103
    @djean111

Better than radioactive waste, any day. Someone should/will figure out a way to break those blades down.

I was just watching a Finnish/Netflix series called “DeadWind” – the premise is that someone invented a new type of wind blade and material that lasted many many times as long as the original.  And a German nuclear energy corporation had stolen the specs and was making big tubes from the material and filling them with radioactive waste and sinking the tubes in old underwater mine shafts.  They paid someone to falsify the government testing on the material in Finland, where the invention originated, and show that it was no stronger than the stuff it was meant to replace, which made the little company that had the original formula vulnerable to a buyout.   Very current story-line.

IMO the folks who generate radioactive waste will do anything to undermine wind and solar that they can.  Nuclear profits are immense, and Our Congress passed a bill that made taxpayers liable for any accidents/clean-up after a nominal amount was spent by the nuclear industry and their insurers.  Nuclear has privatized the profits and socialized the losses and waste.  Why would they stop?  Having Bill Gates as a spokesperson and investor (no conflict of interest there, amiright?) says volumes.

I will not vote for a Vichy Dem. Period. As always, I decide who is a Vichy Dem.

Bernie's ISSUES or Bust!

A Simple Game
    • Total Posts: 515
    @asimplegame

lownslow
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 238
    @lownslow

So lets give a couple million to the first science nerd who can solve the problem. Make it dome kind of american idol thing, really glorify the folks who can mabye save us, instead of actors and athletes. 😉

game meat
    • Total Posts: 1,017
    @gamemeat

Pretty misleading. It isn’t even true that they can’t be recycled and the author even reluctantly acknowledges this, but dismisses it as irrelevant because it is not being done on a large enough scale.

If it can be done on a small scale, and those companies are able to be successful, then those operations can be expanded. There are factories in the EU and the US doing so as we speak.

c6330507
      Banned
      • Total Posts: 58
      @c6330507

The “author” – Independent researcher Steve St. Angelo – is a precious metals flogger who, apparently, imagined himself as a temporary expert on wind turbine blade recycling. It’s hilarious.

We are asked to believe that a nation that is capable of sending multiple spacecraft and astronauts to the moon, can build an interstate highway system that covers tens of thousands of miles, spends around $200 million dollars every 24 hours on hegemony – cannot find a way to cut up expired wind turbine blades so they can be recycled. I’m laughing so hard I think I pulled a muscle.

A bunch of claptrap from a 2 bit gold blogger and a poster that thinks he knows something about renewable energy. Either one would be more than enough but together they’re a powerhouse! LOL
      <h1 class=”rwh_post_title entry-title”>Company expands wind turbine recycling operation</h1>
      Next time you need dental work, call a bricklayer.

Meanwhile, some sanity

mrdmk
    • Total Posts: 1,149
    @mrdmk

Oh by the way, the term is ‘Reverse Mold Technology’, NOT ‘Female Mold’. More on this later.

This is the same crap Trump spewed out the other day about the dust in the manufacturing process. Apparently there companies filling a niche to recycle these blades as posted above. Like other plastics, fiberglass can be recycled for a profit.

Here is the deal, fiberglass products been around since the 1950’s as in bathtubs, boats, and cars. The first fiberglass Chevrolet Corvette was sold in 1953. People realized the usefulness of this product throughout years in the ability to be molded to specifications in a repeated operation, how durable the product is (with proper care many products will last a lot longer than 20 years), being lightweight as compared to metal and wood products. One of positives about fiberglass not mentioned in the information above is how easy it is to repair if damaged rather than replaced as a whole.

In the 1975, I started work in the RV Boating industry. I left the industry in 1982. The reason for this change of career was because of the increase of the cost of materials. A fifty-five gallon drum of resin (the same stuff that is use making surfboards) in 1978 cost $100 – 125 a barrel. In 1980 the same drum of resin cost $550 – 575 a barrel. That is a five hundred percent increase of cost (5 times increase) in two years. Other materials: Gelcoat, woven glass, and etc had similar increases. Businesses where going out business left and right. The final straw for me was when Sherman Williams (the paint company) announced they would no longer produce Gelcoat because of the cost and government regulation. Sherman Williams produced a high quality product.

The industry responsible for this increase in fiberglass products was the oil companies. At that time President Jimmy Carter was accusing the Oil Industry of wind fall profits and collusion. In 1980 Carter was up for reelection with Ronald Reagan opposing him. Part of Reagan’s campaign slogan was, ‘spend and use like there is no tomorrow.’ To say the least, Reagan and the Oil Industry were good pals. Another matter coming up at this time were credible reports of Climate Change and the man made causes of this event. The Oil Industry not only buried these Climate Change reports, they actively destroyed people credibly who reported this trend. Now we have President Trump (a known bigmouth idiot) saying the manufacturing of Wind Turbines is hazardous to the environment, now a report of disposing wind Turbine Blades is wasteful. Who benefits from this report?

I will go one step forward, the Oil Industry has actively worked against reporting the cause and effects of climate change, the Oil Industry has actively worked against recycling of plastics has a whole. The crap needs to stop with the Oil Industry having its way on both ends. The time is now.

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit WC Fields

The Red Menace
    • Total Posts: 858
    @twilightsporkle

Even though the article is not totally accurate (as others have pointed out) it does underline a simple fact; solar is our best option.

Turbines are big. Expensive. Resource-intensive. Need a constant high-level manufacturing base. Though I’m sure alternate materials can be conceived, at the moment they are very heavily reliant on fossil fuels for their construction (and certainly their transport and assembly.)

Don’t get me wrong, wind is a fair option and certainly better than directly burning coal for every joule. But when you get down to it? Wind is caused by the sun’s warmth causing atmospheric convection; it’s just more efficient to get that energy straight from the tap, so to speak

NJCher
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 481
    @njcher

Someone will figure this out, i.e., find a use for them. Want to know how I know that?

Long story short:  I once had a  web site client who had a substantial net worth. How he made his money?  He found a material that no one else wanted or could do anything with and he figured a way to repurpose it. Free materials are a powerful incentive to the entrepreneurial imagination.

He wanted to repeat his earlier success and sell through his retail outlets. He asked if I wanted to scout a material. I was enthusiastic about it–it sounded like fun and I liked the idea of using my imagination to come up with something that could be saved from a landfill. He and I batted around about 10-15 materials, which I researched. I approached the manufacturers about the material. In the process of doing so, I found out there are a lot of people out there with the same idea. There is competition for such materials.

Another item has to be considered and that is how long is this material going to be available to you?  You don’t want to establish a business merely to have the free or low cost material eliminated.  I realized that every business has competitors and those competitors have the same problem dealing with this unwanted material. One of them might hit on an idea and then, boom, your supplier might adopt that solution and you are out.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.