As Workers Win Local Pay Hikes for 2019, Sanders Says 'We Must Raise Federal Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour'

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | All Things Bernie / Our Revolution | As Workers Win Local Pay Hikes for 2019, Sanders Says 'We Must Raise Federal Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour'

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      eridani
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,498

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/12/31/workers-win-local-pay-hikes-2019-sanders-says-we-must-raise-federal-minimum-wage-15

More than five million workers in states and cities across the country will see their incomes increase in 2019, thanks to the push for a higher minimum wage by groups including Fight for $15.

The federal minimum wage will remain at $7.25, where it has stood for a decade. But tireless advocacy by Fight for $15, which began its push in 2012 with 200 fast food workers going on strike to demand a living wage and the right to unionize, has pressured state legislators as well as voters to call for minimum wage hikes. As a result, twenty states and 21 cities will raise wages in the year ahead, with low-wage workers earning an estimated $5.4 billion more over the course of 2019.

“Happy 2019 to the millions of working Americans who are getting raises because of minimum wage boosts,” tweeted Mary Kay Henry, international president of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU). “This wasn’t given to anyone—it happened because we stuck together in the Fight for $15 and fought for a better life.”

Progressive lawmakers including Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) also applauded the minimum wage hikes and the advocacy of Fight for $15—while pledging to continue the fight for increases at the federal level.

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.