Bergen County Ended Chronic Homelessness, So Can Every Other Community
- Total Posts: 9,036
1) Provide one-stop housing health and employment services in a welcoming environment
2) Adopt the Housing First Model; Change the focus from fixing people to finding them housing.
3) Create a government, faith-based and non-profit collaborative model where everyone is bought into the same philosophy and goal
4) Provide low—to no—barrier housing focused sheltering. (For example, no intake process that involves extensive questioning or identification requirements.)
5) Adopt a County Homeless Trust Fund. This can provide additional financing to acquire property, purchase housing rental vouchers, fund supportive services, and provide family homeless prevention projects.
Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction
December 29, 2018 at 2:32 AM #6058Cold Mountain TrailParticipant
- Total Posts: 12,932
be the priority, not a place where you’re rousted out in the early morning and can’t go back to til evening, etc.
December 30, 2018 at 8:11 PM #6522AnonymousInactive
- Total Posts: 69
It’s not exactly a peaceful environment. Everything you own has to be locked up for safety. Some of the residents have psychiatric problems, many have drug problems, some are willing to steal or eager to fight. You can’t relax there. It’s nothing like a home.
I’ve talked to a handful of people (men mostly) without homes, and they view the local shelter as the last-ditch option.
December 30, 2018 at 3:07 PM #6425PasticheParticipant
- Total Posts: 382
Doesn’t sound good to me.
“We’re about to have an election in which Incompetent A is going to be contesting with Incompetent B when both of them have demonstrated nothing remotely like any shred of adequacy to the scope of the problems we face.”
December 30, 2018 at 3:10 PM #6431Cold Mountain TrailParticipant
- Total Posts: 12,932
where everyone is brought into the same goal
December 30, 2018 at 7:31 PM #6514
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.